This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

got $850 to spend on a PC. help me build it

#1mrolympia78Posted 8/24/2014 4:41:02 PM
one I have currently is 4 years old and it can't run some of the newer games on the minimum settings so time to buy a new one.

I'll primarily be using it for gaming but try to stick to this list

* decent processor/motherboard - I want it to last 4-5 years, I hate replacing these things.
* decent enough video card to last a couple of years. I'm thinking $150-200. They are easy enough to replace.
* at least 8 gb of RAM. it's easy enough to buy more
* good power supply. nothing worse than a cheap one that fries your system after a few months.
* cooling fan - my current PC is always running hot
* tower - need an upgrade from my old one
* dvd RW - yes, some of my games are on DVD form.

I don't play FPS games, unless you could future versions of fallout and Elder Scrolls (not es:o unless it goes free to play in the future). The most demanding game in the near future (this year) that I'll play on this is"dragon age:inquisition" and possibly "no mans sky", both those are bound to be decently taxing but it's not getting 60 frames per second at max resolution on the most recent uber-demanding first person shooter taxing.

no need for a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, or OS. I got that covered. Most of those things are less than 2 years old and I'm happy with them.
---
Wanted: University of Iowa athletic director and university president. Any competent individual may apply. Started: 12/28/13
#2Grimlink132Posted 8/24/2014 4:54:18 PM(edited)
i vote i5 3570k for processor
*edit* i didn't even know the new i5's wwere out, prob get that lol
#3ATARIJAWAPosted 8/24/2014 4:49:05 PM
No man's sky won't be hardware intensive.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 117
#4JiazhenPosted 8/24/2014 4:51:35 PM
i5 4690k + 280x gpu since frostbite 3 engine is amd optimized. Although tonga 285 gpu is supposed to release in September.

z97 mobo, i prefer gigabyte boards
600w or greater psu, seasonic made ones are the best

Crucial MX100 256 ssd or 250 gb evo

case- depends on your taste
and do you really need someone to pick out a dvd drive for you? they're all the same,
---
FX 8320 | XFX 7970| 8GB | GA-78LMT-USB3 | EVO 250GB | 3TB | HX620 | Carbide 200r
#5BogePosted 8/24/2014 5:42:02 PM
800 series cards are rumored to be releasing in October. Maybe you'd want to wait for that.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#6tidegearPosted 8/24/2014 7:02:41 PM
What I usually do is go to Newegg.com, search for what I need, and buy the highest rated most powerful parts that suit my needs and budget. The customer reviews are super helpful, and their search system is really handy for searching specifically for what you need.

One more tip: pick out the motherboard first. It makes finding the other parts easier.
#7Ares_TargaryenPosted 8/24/2014 7:11:45 PM
Quick build for $850.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JxDvD3

If you are not going to overclock you can probably get rid of the cooler and get a slightly cheaper motherboard and non K cpu. I included a SSD, since I don't know if you already have one (I assume you are going to use your old HDD, because you didn't list that part). Ram is 2133 because it was the same price as the 1600.

---
<><><><><>
#8RoboXgp89Posted 8/24/2014 8:03:43 PM
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Ayobro/saved/GMQcCJ

I built this one

with the i5 you don't need a cooler

even while running games the thing doesn't even hit 100F

just install the OS on the SSD and then when you get a harddrive you go to disk manage and you allocate it and bam tons of space and a fast boot up
#9mrolympia78(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2014 8:45:39 PM
Jiazhen posted...

and do you really need someone to pick out a dvd drive for you? they're all the same,

no, probably not.
---
Wanted: University of Iowa athletic director and university president. Any competent individual may apply. Started: 12/28/13