This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Old school point and click adventure games worth playing?

#1GladiatorDangerPosted 8/25/2014 9:31:59 AM
Games like Monkey Island and that sort of stuff, what are some good old point and click adventure games you feel are worth playing?
---
"Behold, I shall corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces" Malachi 2:3, The Bible
#2SpazH3dPosted 8/25/2014 9:35:21 AM(edited)
Sanitarium and "I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream".

They're top fab and worth your time. Available on gog.com, and the latter on steam too.
---
- My vision is augmented
#3pothocketPosted 8/25/2014 9:35:38 AM
Monkey Island 1&2
Day of the Tentacle
Loom
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Full Throttle

All God tier P&C games that still look/play great. Some of the finest examples of pixel art you'll ever see.

I've never played Grim Fandango but I hear it's aces.
---
http://i.imgur.com/aBZ2Gww.gif http://i.imgur.com/HnzWmt3.gif
#4MarceloSampaioPosted 8/25/2014 9:38:52 AM
-The Gabriel Knight games (GOG);

-The Tex Murphy games (Steam and GOG), specially Pandora Directive and Tesla Effect;

-The Broken Sword games (Steam and GOG);

-Gray Matter (Steam);

-Syberia 1 and 2 (Steam and GOG).
---
If you believe in Marona as your Loli and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature. :3
http://i.imgur.com/GV8UFZR.png
#5KillerTrufflePosted 8/25/2014 9:47:25 AM
The Longest Journey (my all-time favorite)
Day of the Tentacle
Grim Fandango
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#6syndicatorPosted 8/25/2014 10:02:51 AM
a remastered shadowgate just came out give that a try
---
4670K|Gtx 780ti|Z87-Pro|16 GB Ram|500Gb Evo 840|HDs 3 1Tb 1 1.5Tb
MSI Dominator Pro|12GBRam|4810MQ|Gtx880 8Gb|SSD 250Gb HD 1TB
#7Freelance_WolfPosted 8/25/2014 10:11:26 AM
Anything from LucasArts and Sierra are generally worth playing, although some are better than others of course.

My favourite Sierra series is the Gabriel Knight trilogy. Luckily all 3 are available digitally.

Unfortunately, many LA games have not made the jump digitally, so good luck getting a hold of them. My faves include Indy and the Fate of Atlantis (this IS available digitally), Monkey Island 2 (also digital) and Sam and Max Hit the Road (NOT available digitally).

Lots of games from the above mentioned companies are good though. I prefer the older games to the newer P&C adventure games.
---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
#8spud_almightyPosted 8/25/2014 9:57:23 PM
syndicator posted...
a remastered shadowgate just came out give that a try

Don't bother. Try the Simon and The Sorcerer games. The first two are classics.
#9ElDudorinoPosted 8/26/2014 6:58:31 AM
Great suggestions from pothocket and Freeland_Wolf, and I agree about the Tex Murphy games as well. I never played the other games MarceloSampaio mentioned and I probably missed out because Gabriel Knight gets mentioned a lot in these topics.

When I think of great point-and-click adventures, I think of the LucasArts games. I used to really like the Sierra games but don't find them quite up to the same level today, other than Quest For Glory which I think is still fantastic but goes a little lighter on the puzzle aspects in favor of stats and combat abilities.

I sometimes wonder if the games where you don't control an on-screen avatar count (although Tex Murphy falls under that category). If they do, then I did really enjoy the Shannara game. There was also a Death Gate game from the same company using the same engine that I remember being good. Back in the day I played one called The Prophecy which I also remember really liking but it's been a while so don't hold me responsible if it's not as good now!

And if you want something that's punishingly-difficult, atmospheric and creepy, my vote goes to Elvira: Mistress of the Dark. Okay, I haven't played that one in a million years either so it might be terrible, but that game scared the crap out of me as a kid and I never did finish it due to the difficulty.
#10apollooooPosted 8/26/2014 7:13:55 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
The Longest Journey (my all-time favorite)
Day of the Tentacle
Grim Fandango

i second the longest journey.
one of the enchanting experience ever
---
http://i.imgur.com/1gwjw39.png
Thanks nayr for the nice pic <3. If i make typos it means i am on my touchsreen phone.