This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Old school point and click adventure games worth playing?

#11Freelance_WolfPosted 8/26/2014 7:39:45 AM(edited)
There was an Elvira adventure game? o.O

The Sierra games are decent, but I preferred LA's design philosophy and thus prefer their games more. Plus, they generally had better voice actors. Ever played Police Quest IV? The acting was atrocious.

If you're a newcomer to Sierra though, you'd probably dislike their earlier games where you had to use text syntax such as 'open door,' and 'jump on bird.' Those were both a really cool concept and an incredibly frustrating one.

Not a big fan of The Longest Journey, sorry. I didn't like the ending, because it made no sense to me.
---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
#12ElDudorinoPosted 8/26/2014 7:57:39 AM
Strangely, I think I like the text/parser Sierra games better than the point-and-click ones in a lot of ways. Although, they tended to have a lot of really stupid, stupid situations where they would for example make you walk up a spiral staircase with no railing and constantly adjust your heading or else you'd fall to your death... which would probably happen more than once due to the lack of 3D since you don't really know at a given moment how close to the back edge you really are. Terrible design decisions. I think there was something rewarding about thinking up conversation topics with NPCs on your own, though, or trying something novel with an item. I guess that's what you meant by it being a cool concept. The flipside of course is that after you typed "Get ye flask" and the game said you can't do that, you'd have to think of all the possible synonyms for ye flask that might work...
#13ClouddxPosted 8/26/2014 8:17:37 AM
Scratches
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12GB G.Skill Ram // My Setup: https://imgur.com/a/2Gd8M
FiiO e9+17 // AKG Q701 + M50 // Deck 82 // G27 // Qanba Q1 // PS3/360
#14Freelance_WolfPosted 8/26/2014 8:44:23 AM(edited)
I doubt people picking up these games for the first time will have the patience necessary to understand the text parser system though.

Yes, when I said it had a cool concept, I do mean finding up inventive ways to approach a puzzle, since you're typing it all. As for 'incredibly frustrating,' it's exactly like you described. The inability to judge if you're ever going to fall to you death or not (the path down the mountain in King's Quest 3 is a killer!!), and trying to find the right word to solve a puzzle (flask/pitcher/bottle/flagon/container, etc).

One really annoying moment was in one of the KQ games where you had to jump up and grab the talons of a huge eagle (or hawk) so it would carry you to another area. I tried many words and variations and nothing ever seemed to work. You also had to be right under the talons too or else it's a 'no go.' OMG it took forever to get past that.

So yeah, awesome concept at the time, yet it was soooo terrible at the same time. Switching over to point and click (KQ V was the first game to have this) made it a lot less frustrating, but also made the games easier at the same time.
---
#15MarceloSampaioPosted 8/26/2014 11:02:22 AM
Freelance_Wolf posted...

There are two of them, actually, and they are both very good.

-Elvira: Mistress of the Dark
-Elvira 2: The Jaws of Cerberus

Both work well on ScummVM, btw. They are not pure adventure though. They are a mixture of Dungeon Crawl RPG and Point and Click Adventure.
---
If you believe in Marona as your Loli and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature. :3
http://i.imgur.com/GV8UFZR.png
#16Dirk85UKPosted 8/26/2014 11:28:22 AM
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. This was my second adventure game after the first monkey island game. It's cheap on steam, it has full voice acting and it's a lot of fun.
---
GTX 780ti SC / i7 4770k / 16gb RAM / Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H / 840 Pro Basic / Seasonic X-850 / Dell U2711
#17YombieePosted 8/26/2014 11:55:47 AM
Done in the style of all of the above, "gemini rue"

Yes it's new, but it's made to emulate games such as the above.

I will say: Grim fandango, sanitarium, lucas arts games, sierria games.
#18MarceloSampaioPosted 8/26/2014 12:00:56 PM
BTW, the Blackwell games are also quite good, even if a bit short.

The five games are on Steam, and are all connected.
---
If you believe in Marona as your Loli and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature. :3
http://i.imgur.com/GV8UFZR.png
#19Freelance_WolfPosted 8/26/2014 8:15:33 PM(edited)
MarceloSampaio posted...
Freelance_Wolf posted...

There are two of them, actually, and they are both very good.

-Elvira: Mistress of the Dark
-Elvira 2: The Jaws of Cerberus

Both work well on ScummVM, btw. They are not pure adventure though. They are a mixture of Dungeon Crawl RPG and Point and Click Adventure.

Just did some research. They do look pretty cool. Too bad they're not available digitally.

This isn't related to adventure games, but I have the two Elvira pinballs on The Pinball Arcade. I love Scared Stiff with Family Mode turned off :D
---
#20chandl34Posted 8/26/2014 8:17:21 PM
I tried out The Dig a few years ago. It was one of LucasArts' last adventure games, that doesn't get talked about much. I really enjoyed it.
---
... even on Earth Mode.