This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Interesting article about "Gaming Laptops"

#11JonWood007Posted 8/26/2014 5:11:19 PM
I think there's still a place for gaming laptops. Especially among college students and the like.

Or even right now. I'm on vacation. Small form factor or not, carrying around a mini PC and needing all of the peripherals is a PAIN. How can i hook up a full PC in my car? I can't, not realistically speaking. But know what I did on my whole 2 day roadtrip? I played sonic adventure DX and civilization V while listening to podcasts I downloaded. Seriously. I decided to do some civ around charlotte....next thing i know, wow, I'm at columbia already?

Try doing this on a mini PC. It won't work.

I think the super high end laptops are a waste, but at the very least, APUs, and laptops with midrange discrete GPUs have a good market IMO.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 760 SC | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#12Chargers_31Posted 8/26/2014 8:43:52 PM
JonWood007 posted...
I think there's still a place for gaming laptops. Especially among college students and the like.

Or even right now. I'm on vacation. Small form factor or not, carrying around a mini PC and needing all of the peripherals is a PAIN. How can i hook up a full PC in my car? I can't, not realistically speaking. But know what I did on my whole 2 day roadtrip? I played sonic adventure DX and civilization V while listening to podcasts I downloaded. Seriously. I decided to do some civ around charlotte....next thing i know, wow, I'm at columbia already?

Try doing this on a mini PC. It won't work.

I think the super high end laptops are a waste, but at the very least, APUs, and laptops with midrange discrete GPUs have a good market IMO.

To me, the conveniences of a desktop PC + netbook combo far outweigh not being bored on vacation.
#13ChickenAndJuicePosted 8/27/2014 4:53:41 AM(edited)
The very fact that you need an outlet to get acceptable performance on a Laptop.

The very fact that they aren't truly portable(can't play it handheld style, can't even play it in your lap, can't play in in buses, trains, etc)

The very fact that they aren't upgradable

The very fact that their GPU+CPU is weaker and overpriced compared to the Desktop counterpart

The fact that overclocking is a deathsentence for them

The very fact that they have terrible battery life when unplugged

The fact that FPS games or other games that control or are more reliant on a keyboard are terrible to play because of a heated ass keyboard

Makes them worthless. I question the sanity of a man who would buy one and argue extensively on it's usefulness.
#14machetemanPosted 8/27/2014 5:05:36 AM
ChickenAndJuice posted...
Makes them worthless. I question the sanity of a man who would buy one and argue extensively on it's usefulness.

People who travel Monday-Friday and spend their late afternoons/nights in hotels for work?
#15Arcadia__personPosted 8/27/2014 6:13:33 AM
macheteman posted...

People who travel Monday-Friday and spend their late afternoons/nights in hotels for work?

Nobody here actually wants to hear a reason. Gaming laptops are something to hate out of social convention, like consoles. That's why you see so much passion about an issue that is pretty objectively unimportant.
---
3DS F.C = 0387 - 9320 - 6533. Eric from Hawkeye
#16blax34dmPosted 8/27/2014 7:08:05 AM
The very fact that you need an outlet to get acceptable performance on a Laptop.

The very fact that they aren't truly portable(can't play it handheld style, can't even play it in your lap, can't play in in buses, trains, etc)

The very fact that their GPU+CPU is weaker and overpriced compared to the Desktop counterpart

The fact that FPS games or other games that control or are more reliant on a keyboard are terrible to play because of a heated ass keyboard

I'm not sure you understand what renders something worthless lol.

I'll give you one example of a situation that provides great worth to a gaming laptop: on a submarine
#17JELIFISH19Posted 8/27/2014 7:09:04 AM
It's important to point out that there's a difference between a gaming laptop and a laptop that can play games. I'm using a regular laptop as my primary gaming system and I can run practically all 360 and PS3 games better than the consoles can even though it has an integrated GPU. It's not heavy and it doesn't get hot. I can connect it to my TV and it's easy to move. I can use my xbox controllers. And I can easily use it outside of the house if I want. Laptops are more convenient than a desktop for me. And I don't need to play games at max settings. I'm also not expecting to play games on battery life alone.
---
I <3 my HRAP EX-SE
Capcom, ASW, & NRS fighting games 4 Life
#18Worknofun370Posted 8/27/2014 10:34:02 AM
JELIFISH19 posted...
I can run practically all 360 and PS3 games better than the consoles can even though it has an integrated GPU. It's not heavy and it doesn't get hot. I

What laptop do you have? And what games are you referring to?
---
hasa diga eebowai
#19methroomfacePosted 8/27/2014 11:07:14 AM

I don't have a place in my house to put a computer desk. I will be getting a gaming laptop, because it fills a need that the desktop can not, and will never be able to fill.
---
http://backloggery.com/mushroomface
#20Worknofun370Posted 8/27/2014 11:28:42 AM
methroomface posted...
I don't have a place in my house to put a computer desk.

Do you live in a cardboard box?
---
hasa diga eebowai