This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC novice

#11Dante200XPosted 8/26/2014 9:03:13 PM
Psythik posted...
How could you forget about mods? That alone got me hooked on PC gaming.

This.
---
Solid's snake still shoots liquid, it's just that it's null.
#12kobalobasileusPosted 8/26/2014 9:03:35 PM
_Zero1_ posted...
No monthly fee
Upgradability
Longevity
Broader community
No monthly fee
No monthly fee
Extreme backwards compatibility
Emulation

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head

You forgot god-tier discounts.
#13gamefaqwatcherPosted 8/26/2014 9:05:01 PM
_Zero1_ posted...
No monthly fee
Upgradability
Longevity
Broader community
No monthly fee
No monthly fee
Extreme backwards compatibility
Emulation

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head

Umm not sure if you mentioned it but there's no monthly fee.
---
You're the hero Gamefaqs deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
#14steviegfromnyc2(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2014 9:09:10 PM
Elkiador posted...
If you need people to explain why PC is better than console, you should just stick with your PS4.

Elkiador posted...
It has nothing to do with being a pompous ass, I just don't care to have some lazy bum waltz in and expect other people to do all the work for him before he commits to buying a PC, as if it's some sort of club that we're trying to entice people to join, or it's a store and we're salesmen.

Yes because maybe doing research, asking for pointers and feeling out the community is what a "lazy bum" does. Go back to giving sarcastic remarks to unimpressed users you dweller. It's cancer like you that gives online forums such a bad name. If you have nothing important to bring to the topic then get lost.
#15steviegfromnyc2(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2014 9:09:58 PM
Thank you everyone else for your input. I think I'm going to explore some builds now lol.
#16TimePharaohPosted 8/26/2014 9:14:24 PM
steviegfromnyc2 posted...
Elkiador posted...
If you need people to explain why PC is better than console, you should just stick with your PS4.

Elkiador posted...
It has nothing to do with being a pompous ass, I just don't care to have some lazy bum waltz in and expect other people to do all the work for him before he commits to buying a PC, as if it's some sort of club that we're trying to entice people to join, or it's a store and we're salesmen.

Yes because maybe doing research, asking for pointers and feeling out the community is what a "lazy bum" does. Go back to giving sarcastic remarks to unimpressed users you dweller. It's cancer like you that gives online forums such a bad name. If you have nothing important to bring to the topic then get lost.

Asking people why you should buy a product isn't "doing research" or "asking for pointers", it's being a derpcake peasant.
#17KaiserWarriorPosted 8/26/2014 9:15:29 PM
* Power: A mid-range gaming PC will run games at higher resolutions and better framerates than current consoles. A high-end enthusiast gaming PC will run games at MUCH higher resolutions (on the order of double what a console can do) and rock-solid 60+ frames per second.

* Customizeability: Both in terms of hardware and software. You can upgrade your PC as you go, giving it more power to keep up with the latest and greatest advances in gaming technology. For the games themselves, there are mods: unlike consoles, you are not limited to officially-produced DLC to extend the life of your games. There's a thriving community of people that make mods for games, everything from gameplay tweaks to new characters and entirely new gameplay modes, to graphical enhancements that make the games look even better than they already do in comparison to the console versions.

* Ultimate Backwards Compatibility: Through the magic of emulators, even a low-end gaming PC can be a gateway to gaming history. These days, it's fairly trivial to play video games from today all the way back to the 80s on the same PC -- and you're not limited to PC games in this regard. Nearly every historical console and non-PC computer has some sort of emulation solution available.

* Insanely good value: Digital Distribution has had far more competition in the PC space, with services like Steam and Direct2Drive (now Gamefly) and Good Old Games and GreenManGaming all competing with each other for your dollar. As a result, if you can handle not buying a game the day it comes out, it's not unusual to see games going for 50%, 60%, and 75% off. You can get games from as recently as a year ago for 15 bucks or less, and tons of excellent classics (and even not-so-classic-but-still-not-exactly-new games) for a fiver.

* Free online: unless it's an MMO-style game with a huge persistent world -- and even those are moving further away from a subscription model -- you will never pay a dime to play a PC game online.
#18steviegfromnyc2(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2014 9:17:02 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
steviegfromnyc2 posted...
Elkiador posted...

Elkiador posted...

Asking people why you should buy a product isn't "doing research" or "asking for pointers", it's being a derpcake peasant.

No one asked you.
#19ElkiadorPosted 8/26/2014 9:17:15 PM
Your idea of "doing research": "hey guyz plz tell me everything about PC gaming, thanks"

Some future topics I predict from TC: "How do I build a computer?" "AMD or Nvidia?" "why isn't my 360 controller compatible with every PC game ever made???"
#20steviegfromnyc2(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2014 9:19:01 PM
KaiserWarrior posted...
* Power: A mid-range gaming PC will run games at higher resolutions and better framerates than current consoles. A high-end enthusiast gaming PC will run games at MUCH higher resolutions (on the order of double what a console can do) and rock-solid 60+ frames per second.

* Customizeability: Both in terms of hardware and software. You can upgrade your PC as you go, giving it more power to keep up with the latest and greatest advances in gaming technology. For the games themselves, there are mods: unlike consoles, you are not limited to officially-produced DLC to extend the life of your games. There's a thriving community of people that make mods for games, everything from gameplay tweaks to new characters and entirely new gameplay modes, to graphical enhancements that make the games look even better than they already do in comparison to the console versions.

* Ultimate Backwards Compatibility: Through the magic of emulators, even a low-end gaming PC can be a gateway to gaming history. These days, it's fairly trivial to play video games from today all the way back to the 80s on the same PC -- and you're not limited to PC games in this regard. Nearly every historical console and non-PC computer has some sort of emulation solution available.

* Insanely good value: Digital Distribution has had far more competition in the PC space, with services like Steam and Direct2Drive (now Gamefly) and Good Old Games and GreenManGaming all competing with each other for your dollar. As a result, if you can handle not buying a game the day it comes out, it's not unusual to see games going for 50%, 60%, and 75% off. You can get games from as recently as a year ago for 15 bucks or less, and tons of excellent classics (and even not-so-classic-but-still-not-exactly-new games) for a fiver.

* Free online: unless it's an MMO-style game with a huge persistent world -- and even those are moving further away from a subscription model -- you will never pay a dime to play a PC game online.

Wow it can really go above 60 fps? And I would love to play NGC on a pc