This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Whoa, check the previous poll dates for the poll today...

#1VoidArgumentPosted 8/26/2014 9:02:03 PM
It's crazy to see how throughout the years, game downloads are becoming much more popular.
Just wanted to point that out.
---
We need LoZ: Majora's Mask 3D!!! https://www.facebook.com/OperationMoonfall
https://soundcloud.com/voidargument
#2KaiserWarriorPosted 8/26/2014 9:03:35 PM
It's almost like physical game offerings (in terms of packaging and reasons to own physical, i.e. it's more than just a steam key on a disc with a copyright info card) have gone to **** as time has moved forward.
#3Neonwarrior1243Posted 8/26/2014 9:08:05 PM
Yeah, I don't even see physical versions of PC games where I live anymore and for PS4/Xbone the disc just let's you install faster which doesn't matter as much since now they have preloading.
#4Mr kittyPosted 8/26/2014 9:44:58 PM
VoidArgument posted...
It's crazy to see how throughout the years, game downloads are becoming much more popular.
Just wanted to point that out.

I bought Sword Art Online for the PSVita. There's no cartridge version of this game on NA.
---
Sabertooth X79|Core i7 3930K @4.3GHz|Zalman CNPS12X|Kingston HyperX 8X4GB CL9|VisionTek HD7970 3GB|11TB storage|x-fi titanium hd|Silent Pro M1000W|Corsair 800D
#5jedinatPosted 8/26/2014 10:54:19 PM(edited)
KaiserWarrior posted...
It's almost like physical game offerings (in terms of packaging and reasons to own physical, i.e. it's more than just a steam key on a disc with a copyright info card) have gone to **** as time has moved forward.

It's almost like hard drives have gotten bigger, internet access faster, and digital storefronts better
#6rdking96Posted 8/27/2014 5:13:13 AM
KaiserWarrior posted...

I mean it's true. One of my favorite things about physical games was reading the game manual - I know that sounds nerdy, but it was a good way to kill the time if I wasn't around the console to play the game yet. Nowadays, the game's manual is just an online PDF, so I really don't see the point of owning physical anymore...
---
i54690k 3.5 ghz | Asus GTX770 | 16GB DDR3 Crucial | AsRock Extreme4 Z97 |
Steam:Big Denim | 360: The Sticky Emu | PS3/4: Cugabuh
#7Killah PriestPosted 8/27/2014 5:16:49 AM
I mean it's true. One of my favorite things about physical games was reading the game manual - I know that sounds nerdy, but it was a good way to kill the time if I wasn't around the console to play the game yet. Nowadays, the game's manual is just an online PDF, so I really don't see the point of owning physical anymore...

If you go back further to the old days of big box PC gaming... we'd actually get what is now called "collectors edition" content just for buying the game.

I still have cool maps and rune pouches from ultima.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#8SinisterSlayPosted 8/27/2014 5:19:05 AM
poll is only about 10% done. Give it time.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#9pothocketPosted 8/27/2014 5:37:34 AM(edited)
I purchased Skyrim day 1 (before I had a PC) and it came with the most amazing map. It was some type of paper stock that I've never seen before that had a leather-like texture to it (later editions had the map printed on normal glossy paper)

Dishonored came with a great manual too. All in color, listed all the powers and their upgrades, items, people, places. Even included flavor text. It was a real instruction manual and was also very well done, very likely it'll have been the last time I encounter something like that.
---
http://i.imgur.com/aBZ2Gww.gif http://i.imgur.com/HnzWmt3.gif