This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does the Zoe Quinn/Kotaku scandal affect your gaming habits in any way?

#171hellobob09Posted 8/27/2014 7:42:06 PM
Had to watch a few "Let's play Depression Quest" videos because I haven't downloaded the game, but I have to say that it is the biggest piece of trash I've ever seen.

At no point during that deluded, angst-ridden rant did I witness anything that can be considered a "game" or anything that could be considered clinical depression.

I like a few indie games, but Depression Quest is taking the ****ing piss and appears to exist only to satiate the emotional palate of whiny youths who feel they have an unfulfilling life and refuse to acknowledge their hand in such a situation.

If you enjoy the "game" and the previous statements don't apply to you, I apologize for my generalization, but that piece of **** reminded me of everything I hate about over-entitled kids who insist on creating problems that don't truly exist.

The fact that a dev literally had to suck **** for a decent review is not surprising in the least.

TL;DR: What the **** did I just watch?
---
Above the Ignorance
#172GnosisLordPosted 8/27/2014 7:48:12 PM
JesterZZN posted...
GnosisLord posted...
I read it. It was quite well written and I recommend people read it if they haven't. I still maintain my original stance.

So you think people should read this well written argument that has been penned as a result of this laughable excuse for a scandal, but you don't think there is any sort of reasonable discussion to be made?

Oh well. I kinda figured you were full of it and just looking to snipe at strawmen. Have fun with that! Righteous indignation is the very best kind of indignation after all.

Just because I like something doesn't mean I agree with it. A well written and thoughtful argument is not a guarantee of righteousness, it's merely the starting point for a debate.

I will grant you that there is discussion to be had on the issue, but has any part of this thread indicated that this board is capable of hosting it? Besides, if such a debate did start here I don't have enough stake in the issue to act as representative of either side.

I do appreciate that you took the high road and provided evidence rather than a kneejerk reactionary response. Given the tone of the thread so far, I wasn't expecting such a reasonable reply.
#173JesterZZNPosted 8/27/2014 7:53:58 PM
hellobob09 posted...

The fact that a dev literally had to suck **** for a decent review is not surprising in the least.

But she didn't have to. Which is really the overreaching point of all this. She did all that crap to her boyfriend for the lulz. She was already a part of the clique, and as such her game was definitely going to be well reviewed. The sites like Gamesutra, Kotaku, Polygon, and The Escapist have invested too much time and money into this particular facet of Indie Gaming for them to give objective reviews. Why do you think Polygon gave Gone Home a 10/10 despite it not even holding up well against games from the early nineties within the same genre? Because they are invested. They have invested time, energy, and literal money into making these games a success.

To quote the blog I linked to above:

But indulge this metaphor with me, if you would:

Imagine if EA started calling all of its workers “indie devs”, and re-branded themselves as a gaming news website. They do all the same **** as before. They organize events, connect development teams with other teams, they handle the press, and they market their games. But they do all of these things under the pretense that “Electronic Arts provides unbiased, up-to-the-minute news on the indie game scene!” Someone, somewhere would hopefully call bull. This is the time to call bull.

It ain't about the sex. The sex is just the natural progression of what was already a rotten scene.
#174GnosisLordPosted 8/27/2014 8:14:41 PM
JesterZZN posted...
hellobob09 posted...

But she didn't have to. Which is really the overreaching point of all this. She did all that crap to her boyfriend for the lulz. She was already a part of the clique, and as such her game was definitely going to be well reviewed. The sites like Gamesutra, Kotaku, Polygon, and The Escapist have invested too much time and money into this particular facet of Indie Gaming for them to give objective reviews. Why do you think Polygon gave Gone Home a 10/10 despite it not even holding up well against games from the early nineties within the same genre? Because they are invested. They have invested time, energy, and literal money into making these games a success.

Imagine if EA started calling all of its workers “indie devs”, and re-branded themselves as a gaming news website. They do all the same **** as before. They organize events, connect development teams with other teams, they handle the press, and they market their games. But they do all of these things under the pretense that “Electronic Arts provides unbiased, up-to-the-minute news on the indie game scene!” Someone, somewhere would hopefully call bull. This is the time to call bull.

It ain't about the sex. The sex is just the natural progression of what was already a rotten scene.

I'm going to take another brief detour off the high road. Apologies in advance. The idea of a cabal of indie developers and writers sitting in a smoky backroom with cigars and whiskey while making roughly minimum wage is pretty funny.

Polygon giving Gone Home a 10 probably has less to do with some grand conspiracy than the fact that the reviewer, a homosexual woman who had trouble coming out to her parents, might have connected with the protagonist of the story who is going through the same thing. Or it might have something to do with the fact that the game was amazing. Did you play it? I'm not a critic, but I see nothing wrong with that game getting 10/10.

Also, whenever I see or hear the phrase "objective reviews," I stop listening.
#175JohnMafiaPosted 8/27/2014 8:15:01 PM
Not at all.
---
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1173050/wilson-cruz.gif
http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/images/cm-28790-0508f1032d1c7d.gif
#176megablue9Posted 8/27/2014 8:25:28 PM
read a bit don't really know and don't really care
---
3ds FC: 5172-0077-4852
#177JesterZZNPosted 8/27/2014 8:26:06 PM
GnosisLord posted...
JesterZZN posted...
hellobob09 posted...

I'm going to take another brief detour off the high road. Apologies in advance. The idea of a cabal of indie developers and writers sitting in a smoky backroom with cigars and whiskey while making roughly minimum wage is pretty funny.

Polygon giving Gone Home a 10 probably has less to do with some grand conspiracy than the fact that the reviewer, a homosexual woman who had trouble coming out to her parents, might have connected with the protagonist of the story who is going through the same thing. Or it might have something to do with the fact that the game was amazing. Did you play it? I'm not a critic, but I see nothing wrong with that game getting 10/10.

Also, whenever I see or hear the phrase "objective reviews," I stop listening.

I played it. I thought it was barely passable. I was shocked to see it was so well reviewed.

Most people understand that when discussing a professional review of popular culture, objective simply means without inherent bias. As in the journalistic sense of the word. Things including but not limited to; the reviewer isn't buddy buddy with the dev going back for over two years prior to the games release. Or maybe they aren't hanging out in bars posting pictures to twitter together. And if for whatever reason recusing oneself isn't possible, maybe at least disclose the friendship. Ya know, the basics.

Usually the only people that argue this particular kind of semantics, have an axe to grind in one direction or the other.
#178samuraigaiden(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2014 8:26:59 PM
I think we all should refrain from judging anyone's personal life. The big deal here is the fact an individual has been exposed for manipulating the media for her own benefit with the help from journalists and the media is CURRENTLY covering up for her and pretending nothing happened.

In recent years we've seen a boom of tabloid-esque coverage on the gaming media, especially on sites like Kotaku, Destructoid, Polygon, etc., with self-appointed gaming pundits accusing and shaming publishers and developers for all sorts of things. Here's a real case of something to be angry and shocked about, but instead they are not just avoiding the story, but actively working to hide it.

If a journalist from the NYT was exposed for the same type of behavior that's been attributed to the Kotaku writer involved in the story, he would be removed from his position for the sake of the company's reputation.
---
RESPECT THE DONKEY LORE!
#179GnosisLordPosted 8/27/2014 8:39:46 PM
samuraigaiden posted...
I think we all should refrain from judging anyone's personal life. The big deal here is the fact an individual has been exposed for manipulating the media for her own benefit with the help from journalists and the media is CURRENTLY covering up for her and pretending nothing happened.

In recent years we've seen a boom of tabloid-esque coverage on the gaming media, especially on sites like Kotaku, Destructoid, Polygon, etc., with self-appointed gaming pundits accusing and shaming publishers and developers for all sorts of things. Here's a real case of something to be angry and shocked about, but instead they are not just avoiding the story, but actively working to hide it.

If a journalist from the NYT was exposed for the same type of behavior that's been attributed to the Kotaku writer involved in the story, he would be removed from his position for the sake of the company's reputation.

If none of the gaming media outlets, including Kotaku's rivals, are picking up on this earthshaking story, it's possible (and I'm just throwing this out here) that there isn't really much of a story here.
#180hk7111Posted 8/27/2014 8:48:27 PM
Grimlink132 posted...
nope

---
Desktop: i7-4790k, 16gb Ddr3, R9 280x + 7970 Ghz Crossfire, Some HDD's, 840 Evo 250Gb
Laptop: Razerblade 14: i7-4702HQ, 8GB Ddr3, Gtx 765M, 256GB Msata SSD