This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does the Zoe Quinn/Kotaku scandal affect your gaming habits in any way?

#181JesterZZNPosted 8/27/2014 8:53:38 PM
GnosisLord posted...
samuraigaiden posted...
I think we all should refrain from judging anyone's personal life. The big deal here is the fact an individual has been exposed for manipulating the media for her own benefit with the help from journalists and the media is CURRENTLY covering up for her and pretending nothing happened.

In recent years we've seen a boom of tabloid-esque coverage on the gaming media, especially on sites like Kotaku, Destructoid, Polygon, etc., with self-appointed gaming pundits accusing and shaming publishers and developers for all sorts of things. Here's a real case of something to be angry and shocked about, but instead they are not just avoiding the story, but actively working to hide it.

If a journalist from the NYT was exposed for the same type of behavior that's been attributed to the Kotaku writer involved in the story, he would be removed from his position for the sake of the company's reputation.

If none of the gaming media outlets, including Kotaku's rivals, are picking up on this earthshaking story, it's possible (and I'm just throwing this out here) that there isn't really much of a story here.

Not for them, no. But what has happened as a direct result of this? Both polygon and kotaku have made public statements about changing their ethics polices. Kotaku's chief directly addressed the clique (his words) and promised to separate his staff from it.

One blogger appears to have been suspended or fired (still not sure which)

Is that not really even more of a story than if they just did a story?
#182DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/27/2014 8:56:03 PM
Where's the poll?

No.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#183Lucavi000Posted 8/27/2014 9:01:27 PM
Daz_man123 posted...
Ever since the scandal I've have fallen into depression. I barely sleep, eat and have sex with my beautiful supermodel wife. My friends and family, as a result have also fallen in to depression. I can't get the scandal out of my head! Every time I close my eyes I picture Zoe...

My life has never been the same.

Clearly the only way to truly get her out of your head is to sleep with her.
#184CELTEKKPosted 8/27/2014 9:03:15 PM(edited)
NO. NOW GO AWAY.
---
i long to see their faces...
regardless of the decay
#185PielordXPosted 8/27/2014 9:06:09 PM
Gaming habits? No. Trust in official game reviews? Yes.
---
Pie what have you learned from this experience? I'll get warned for posting gifs of people killing themselves AND making underage jokes.
#186nightshadeAPosted 8/27/2014 9:07:07 PM
from slate : http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2014/08/zoe_quinn_harassment_a_letter_to_a_young_male_gamer.html
---
theres no point in telling me the wisdom of fool wont set me free"neworder
"mr zurkon dosent shoot and ask questions later asking questions is stupid
#187KaiserWarriorPosted 8/27/2014 9:32:54 PM
nightshadeA posted...
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2014/08/zoe_quinn_harassment_a_letter_to_a_young_male_gamer.html

"I know you want, more than anything, a world free of hypocrisy and cronyism and cool kids. This is not an impossible goal. It's just a goal you should completely forget about because how dare you ever criticize a woman for anything, you miserable filthy misogynist tool of the patriarchy. You get unfairly lumped in with the bigots and misogynists, and that's just too damn bad. #dealwithit, you cis scum."
#188kingrat2314Posted 8/27/2014 9:36:39 PM
I wasn't interested in her game before, but if I was, I wouldn't be anymore. Not after hearing about the scandal and finding out she has a tumblr and is a huge hipster. This doesn't change my habits or make me feel any different about the indie devs I actually like. I don't base my buying habits on reviews, but I do like to read them to get a sense of what a game is like past all the bs reviewer rhetoric.

It's pretty despicable, trying to sleep your way to good favor. Imagine if she was a guy who slept with a female reviewer. Internet Feminists wouldn't shut up about it, as hypocritical as they are.
---
RIP Robin Williams
#189NocturneD85Posted 8/27/2014 9:41:16 PM
Never heard of her until a few days ago. Don't care either.
---
Itachi Uchiha's Liscense Plate: ULAK H8RED
#190ChargrilledPosted 8/27/2014 9:58:33 PM
Grimlink132 posted...
nope

---
GT : DeadJericho/PSN : Focalpoint/WiiU : FocalpointUK
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!