This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does the Zoe Quinn/Kotaku scandal affect your gaming habits in any way?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Does the Zoe Quinn/Kotaku scandal affect your gaming habits in any way?
11 months ago#21
People actually give a crap about gaming "journalism"? Why let some douche you've never met tell you how much you're going to enjoy a game?
---
London-SV on Throttle Control in Gran Turismo 6 ~ ''Unless you're flooring it at every opportunity... Try to be a little more genital on the accelerator''
11 months ago#22
I thought the point of those threads was to make fun of the dude and his girlfriend. Did anyone actually care about the ethics violations?
---
... even on Earth Mode.
11 months ago#23
samuraigaiden posted...
Anyway, my questions are:

Does this affect your gaming habits in any way? Nope

Are indie developers as a group going to be put under the veil of suspicion after this story? Yep

Are you going to trust reviews of indie games in the future, especially on sites like Kotaku, Destructoid, Polygon, etc.? Hell No

My answers in bold... It doesn't affect me because I never really gave them much credit in the first place. I do hope that all of this causes the gaming press to shape up though.

I mean, do we really need game devs sleeping with/dating the press? Is that supposed to make people take them seriously?

http://i.imgur.com/kSFGdei.jpg

As you can see in that image, Zoe is just the tip of the iceberg apparently.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3635582762.png
11 months ago#24
SinisterSlay posted...
No....
I don't really see the problem with using sex to promote your game. If it's a tool you have, use it.

Sleeping with journalists for favorable reviews is a conflict of ethics, and you'd have to be moron to not see that. It's going against what feminists are fighting for in the first place.
---
ElectricMole posted...
Yoshi's wooly world needs a trim or a bikini waxing.
11 months ago#25
There are some indie games I like, but most just don't interest me. Despite the high praise Gone Home got, it's not a good game in my eyes. Honestly, who slept with who to give that game such high praise? Fact is, game journalism has always been somewhat flawed and there have always been issues behind the scenes. On top of that, opinions are so subjective that it's possible that some of the people praising Depression Quest, genuinely liked it for whatever reason.

This is why one must do research and check multiple sites and reviews. Hell, I check out let's plays on youtube. At least I see actual gamer opinion with actual footage of someone playing it. With console releases, all you need to do is rent it. For PC, it's more complicated. Without a demo, you're sol.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
11 months ago#26
samuraigaiden posted...
Anyway, my questions are:

Does this affect your gaming habits in any way?

Are indie developers as a group going to be put under the veil of suspicion after this story?

Are you going to trust reviews of indie games in the future, especially on sites like Kotaku, Destructoid, Polygon, etc.?

1. No.
2. No.
3. Haven't trusted review sites in years. This hasn't changed that fact.

Personally, the whole situation is bizarre to me. I can't for the life of me figure out why people actually care about this. It's like... yeah, gaming journalism is corrupt. Welcome to last decade? That's assuming this is even true, which from the little I've read... It's more suspicion than certainty. Though maybe that information's a bit out-of-date, but it doesn't really change my opinion if it is.
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.
11 months ago#27
Felix6464 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
No....
I don't really see the problem with using sex to promote your game. If it's a tool you have, use it.

Sleeping with journalists for favorable reviews is a conflict of ethics, and you'd have to be moron to not see that. It's going against what feminists are fighting for in the first place.

So if a man slept with another man to get better reviews it's ok?

And ethics are a self made problem.

Shes not out there killing African children, she is just fulfilling nerd fantasies. It's no big deal.

If some women showed up at my door and said she'd sleep with me for a good review. I'd do it. No ethical issues at all.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
11 months ago#28
I don't give a care about your stupid thing, stupid!

#Quinnisms
---
There is no hope.
11 months ago#29
VG Press and companies have been corrupt with sex and other means since the 80's.

But yeah, my view on indie developers may be skewed now since I know they all work for and with each other.
---
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
11 months ago#30
Has the event itself affected my gaming habits? No, not really.

However, the fallout of the event has. I now have a handy list of developers who's products I will actively avoid purchasing, because they believe that it is acceptable to attack, demean, and harass people in the name of "social justice", while simultaneously demonizing "gamers" as a whole for attacking, demeaning, and harassing of people done by a very small, very vocal minority.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Does the Zoe Quinn/Kotaku scandal affect your gaming habits in any way?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived