This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does the Zoe Quinn/Kotaku scandal affect your gaming habits in any way?

#201kobalobasileusPosted 8/28/2014 12:08:43 AM
I had no interest in Depression Quest.

I stopped reading Kotaku months ago when they had the gall to go on a white knight feminist crusade against George Kamitani's artwork (he is one of the greatest Japanese game artists in the history of the medium).

So, no, their little scandal shows just how disgustingly hypocritical both parties are.
#202PR_FiascoPosted 8/28/2014 12:45:17 AM
Never trusted reviews much anyway, so this whole thing hasn't affected me much. As for changing my gaming habits, this scandal hasn't changed it at all whatsoever.
---
TBWNN
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
#203AlexTheNextOnePosted 8/28/2014 3:24:18 AM
SpazH3d posted...
AlexTheNextOne posted...
Not at all.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzmbWaTCc-E&list=UUQeWZ0ninG-2pzlaenh2ECw

It's not a Zoe Quinn problem, this whole thing is really a gaming journalism problem.

Everything about that is incredibly obnoxious. Don't post it again, please.

I hope she and her lovers enjoyed all the intercourse. We all knew gaming journalism was corrupt. It's sad but true.

Well, I really don't care how obnoxious you think it is. He's still right.
#204thelovebatPosted 8/28/2014 4:16:31 AM
Well since I found out about it I've been spending less time playing games and paying attention to this more. Because the state of the gaming industry and those who report on it is important to me. And anyone looking to get into the game industry as a developer, reviewer, journalist, etc., should care about this. We shouldn't be okay with this happening just because it's been going on for a long time and has happened before.
---
"Too bad you can't reload your game and try again." Cassidy- Fallout 2
#205Another_CyzykPosted 8/28/2014 4:23:38 AM
Gave me ANOTHER reason not to EVER buy Fez.
#206Saga3Posted 8/28/2014 4:37:50 AM
No, but I do see it as the final nail in the coffin for the already joke that is called gaming journalism.
#207NewMoonShadowPosted 8/28/2014 4:43:19 AM
JesterZZN posted...
NewMoonShadow posted...

No, it's not that at all. What I'm saying is that this isn't an "industry" thing, it's an "everything" thing. I'm not saying you should "accept it" or "tolerate it", I'm just pointing out that the very idea that this is a problem unique to the gaming industry is laughably naive.

Which would be the most awesomest point ever, if anyone anywhere were actually saying it. You think people are being naive. Everyone else thinks your point is so obvious that its implied. Who is really laughable in this instance?

And because I loved this so much:
http://j-k-degoya.tumblr.com/post/95794097811/the-zoe-quinn-situation-really-is-about-feminism-and

I don't care if its already been posted twenty times. People should read it. It's good.

Considering everyone is acting like this is some great shocking scandal they never saw coming in a million years they seem to be under the impression that the gaming industry was immune to this sort of thing. That's the only way I can rationalize the crying and melodrama going on here.

You don't have to cry, scream and rant like a raving lunatic to take a stand against something. But I suppose this is GameFAQs. It's where melodrama thrives like a pack of weeds. Useless and inconsequential, but convinced it makes a difference when it's nothing more than mildly annoying.
#208DukeGogoatPosted 8/28/2014 6:14:26 AM
Chr0noid posted...
ITT: Apathy and complacency in the face of corruption and decadence.

Four things which just so happen to be cancerous growths on human society and interaction.

Don't forget the willful ignorance.
---
If bright colours and a sense of fun make you afraid that something is childish, then the biggest child around is you.
#209AnDtuigeannTuPosted 8/28/2014 6:35:32 AM
I think if you trusted a site like Kotaku for game reviews to begin with then you might be beyond help. They're like the PewDiePie of Gaming Journalism, they go for sheer quantity over quality.

But otherwise no, I never really read reviews from the journo sites, I only ever really looked at them to see whats coming out, then look at metacritic and the like and guage between user reviews and actual reviewers to see if the game is worth it. Also talking to friends who have similar game tastes but more money works out well too.

Although one thing I didn't understand was why RPS was under fire for the whole Zoe scandal, didn't the guy leave RPS long before any of this came out? Is it just because they used to hire him?
---
Doesn't matter how well you're doing, if you're arguing on the internet, you've already lost.
#210samuraigaiden(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2014 6:28:33 PM
NewMoonShadow posted...
JesterZZN posted...
NewMoonShadow posted...

No, it's not that at all. What I'm saying is that this isn't an "industry" thing, it's an "everything" thing. I'm not saying you should "accept it" or "tolerate it", I'm just pointing out that the very idea that this is a problem unique to the gaming industry is laughably naive.

Which would be the most awesomest point ever, if anyone anywhere were actually saying it. You think people are being naive. Everyone else thinks your point is so obvious that its implied. Who is really laughable in this instance?

And because I loved this so much:
http://j-k-degoya.tumblr.com/post/95794097811/the-zoe-quinn-situation-really-is-about-feminism-and

I don't care if its already been posted twenty times. People should read it. It's good.

Considering everyone is acting like this is some great shocking scandal they never saw coming in a million years they seem to be under the impression that the gaming industry was immune to this sort of thing. That's the only way I can rationalize the crying and melodrama going on here.

You don't have to cry, scream and rant like a raving lunatic to take a stand against something. But I suppose this is GameFAQs. It's where melodrama thrives like a pack of weeds. Useless and inconsequential, but convinced it makes a difference when it's nothing more than mildly annoying.

You either didn't read the thread or are trying to get laid.
---
RESPECT THE DONKEY LORE!