This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does the Zoe Quinn/Kotaku scandal affect your gaming habits in any way?

#31CovenantPosted 8/27/2014 9:39:47 AM
The problem this s***storm highlights is the way that indie developers get the coverage they need to make their games a success. It does not encourage promotion of good games so much as promotion of people who vociferously agree with a certain social agenda and/or provide bribes.

So while the scandal doesn't affect my gaming habits directly (I don't read reviews or have much interest in developers who spend more time on Twitter than they do making their games), the poor practices brought to light might have caused games that I would have very much enjoyed to go unnoticed or even unmade.

Goldninja posted...
For PC, it's more complicated. Without a demo, you're sol.

We have a robust "try before you buy" system in place for practically every game. It just happens to not exactly be legal.
#32eternalblue02Posted 8/27/2014 9:43:38 AM
Nope and if Zoe's ever in need of a job I have a festive pumpkin leaf bag she can put over herself while she sits on my lawn scaring kids away on Halloween.
#33KaiserWarriorPosted 8/27/2014 9:44:08 AM
Covenant posted...
The problem this s***storm highlights is the way that indie developers get the coverage they need to make their games a success. It does not encourage promotion of good games so much as promotion of people who vociferously agree with a certain social agenda and/or provide bribes

Yep, this is exactly the sort of thing I was talking about in my previous post. To use a very visible example: The absolutely disgusting things Phil Fish has said in regards to this event would have incited an SJW lynch mob if they were uttered by "a gamer". But because they come from Fish, and because he (at least seemingly) agrees with their social agenda, it's okay for him to say those vile things.

This misadventure has exposed a lot of very, very ugly people who use the banner of "social justice" as a shield for their own horrific behavior. And I will not be giving any more money to those people.
#34GoldninjaPosted 8/27/2014 9:53:43 AM(edited)
Covenant posted...
We have a robust "try before you buy" system in place for practically every game. It just happens to not exactly be legal.

I'm well aware of it. That's the problem. We have no legal means to do this. If Valve could come up with a way to allow us to rent games via steam, that would be cool. It would activate once downloaded and installed, and disable/delete itself when the time is up. Perhaps allowing us to buy the game if we want to during the rental period by knocking off the rental fee from the full price. Unfortunately, I don't see a way they could make this happen without there being problems.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#35SinisterSlayPosted 8/27/2014 9:52:02 AM
Goldninja posted...
Covenant posted...

I'm well aware of it. That's the problem. We have no legal means to do this. If Valve could come up with a way to allow us to rent games via steam, that would be cool. It would activate once downloaded and installed, and disable/delete itself when the time is up. Unfortunately, I don't see a way they could make this happen without there being problems.

Launch within a sandbox and then delete save games when your done.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#36KURRUPTORPosted 8/27/2014 9:54:08 AM
Other companies do the same crap they just use money instead of sex. I don't see why she is taking so much crap for it. It's screwed up but I don't see why people are just now caring about something that's been going on in the business for a very long time.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#37Nineteen99Posted 8/27/2014 9:58:52 AM
I'm getting a sex change so I can f*** my way through the indie dev community and games press so the indie game I'm working on will be successful.
---
"There must be some kind of way out of here, said the joker to the thief. There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief."
#38SinisterSlayPosted 8/27/2014 10:00:11 AM
Nineteen99 posted...
I'm getting a sex change so I can f*** my way through the indie dev community and games press so the indie game I'm working on will be successful.

I see nothing wrong with this plan other than you don't get working parts.
Yes they turn your willie inside out and push it into you, but it isn't terribly functional.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#39ElkiadorPosted 8/27/2014 10:04:42 AM
I don't buy indie games and never trusted game "journalists" to begin with so no.
#40ArayzielPosted 8/27/2014 10:10:12 AM
ztype85 posted...
I never trusted gaming sites to begin with. This just cemented it.