This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does the Zoe Quinn/Kotaku scandal affect your gaming habits in any way?

#41ShadowShirePosted 8/27/2014 11:20:27 AM
samuraigaiden posted...
To anyone unaware, the developer of PC indie game Depression Quest has been exposed to having questionable ethics standards when it comes to how she works to promote her games and herself.

I won't go into details because I feel it goes beyond my point. If you want to know more about the story, search it on YouTube as there are many videos around that explain the whole situation.

Anyway, my questions are:

Does this affect your gaming habits in any way?

Are indie developers as a group going to be put under the veil of suspicion after this story?

Are you going to trust reviews of indie games in the future, especially on sites like Kotaku, Destructoid, Polygon, etc.?

1. Since this all happened last week, it has not affected my gaming so much since I have been only playing really old console games. In fact, I have not bought any new games recently. I do feel very wary about the whole thing and what it implicates for the future of gaming. Beforehand it bothered me very much because I kept thinking "What if these people succeed to censor everything and receive no repercussions". I also found out more about the ridiculous crud on Tunblr and the other social network sites. I would say that it affected me due to what it implicates towards the bias against gamers as a whole. An example is how many(example: religious) blame video games for any violence that happens towards young people and children. Or that they are all nerdy virgins that have no social life. Now that I know about how all this "feminist" and "social justice warrior" stuff has spread to video games ( like the woman named Anita who profited by being a "feminist" and talked about how sexist games were) it hurts a little. Don't some of the people supporting them realize that they are fighting for people who create drama that hurts people of both genders? I suppose another reason is that it also brings politics into gaming. I haven't told my closest friends yet, but I am thinking of ways to tell them soon. Knowing that more information is being found out helps ease my feeling of disappointment and anxiety about the situation.

2. Not as a group. Hopefully more people will have more scrutiny when it comes to new games, whether they are indie or not. I do feel bad for some that would probably gain pressure from this event (especially female developers).

3. No. I hardly went on those sites, but now I am going to keep a list so that I know to avoid them. In fact, I will do what others suggest and look up playthroughs and other information on YouTube from now on. They are still opinions, but I am not going to support "gaming journalism" anymore unless it changes and people prove it to me.
#42LvthnPosted 8/27/2014 11:21:44 AM
Nope. I certainly don't give a f*** if someone manages to sell something with sex, and I certainly wasn't going to buy an abomination called "Depression Quest."
#43pothocketPosted 8/27/2014 11:28:05 AM
Lvthn posted...
Nope. I certainly don't give a f*** if someone manages to sell something with sex, and I certainly wasn't going to buy an abomination called "Depression Quest."

For the last time - it's not what she did. It's the fact that the industry is so bad she was able to do what she did.

Zoe is just the symptom of a diseased industry. Nothing more.
---
http://i.imgur.com/aBZ2Gww.gif http://i.imgur.com/HnzWmt3.gif
#44NobyNobyManPosted 8/27/2014 11:29:39 AM
lol
---
http://i.imgur.com/YngNx1k.gif
#45SinisterSlayPosted 8/27/2014 11:29:56 AM
pothocket posted...
Lvthn posted...

For the last time - it's not what she did. It's the fact that the industry is so bad she was able to do what she did.

Zoe is just the symptom of a diseased industry. Nothing more.

What's so corrupt about that?
For a long time women have controlled men with sex. That's just the world we live in.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#46Richardthe3rdPosted 8/27/2014 11:31:45 AM
This is just a typical "wag the dog" kind of event.

Use marketing/scandal/publicity to establish a product that really wouldn't be viable on its own.

Honestly calling anyone involved with Depression Quest an "indie developer" is a massive insult to other"indie developers."

Gaming journalism doesn't exist; gaming propaganda yes, but don't confuse the language. It's hard to call anything journalism whose primary activity is to critique products from its main benefactors (EA, Activision et al).
---
Nintendo: Want me to buy a WiiU?
MAKE A NEW F-ZERO
#47supermegabloxPosted 8/27/2014 11:35:52 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
No....
I don't really see the problem with using sex to promote your game. If it's a tool you have, use it.

---
Not changing this sig until a new Jet Set Radio game or JSRF remakes announced. Started 7/26/2014
Vita>WiiU>3DS>PS2>Xbox360>PS3
#48Digital StormPosted 8/27/2014 11:42:06 AM
I don't care about who she is or what she's done. Just saying.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#49AsellusPosted 8/27/2014 11:50:27 AM
Are you really in shock that the integrity of *Kotaku* of all sites may have been impugned?
#50Bazooka_PenguinPosted 8/27/2014 11:55:42 AM
samuraigaiden posted...

Are indie developers as a group going to be put under the veil of suspicion after this story?

Yea, probably

ztype85 posted...
I never trusted gaming sites to begin with. This just cemented it.

Also this
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif