This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

SJW are begging to black out steam access for 1 hour.

#351arleasPosted 8/30/2014 8:17:35 PM
I just looked at it again... they're up to a whopping 686 supporters... now Valve HAS to acknowledge them! Right? If I were in charge of running a successful game company I'd definitely shut everything down and lose money because almost 700 people on the internet said so....*

*yes, that's sarcasm.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3635582762.png
#352rockman202Posted 8/30/2014 8:19:28 PM(edited)
rockman202 posted...
Elfpwnage posted...

The change that we should see is just more diversity in game protagonists. Instead of games starring a dominantly white male lead, how about we see it changed up to a more diverse scene of lead characters? And then support those games that take the chance to try to diversify it up (Within reason, if they still make a crappy game then yeah, don't support them making a piece of crap) but at least put it on your radar to pick up at some point to show game companies that yes, gamers do want a more diverse cast. I know it's risky to deviate from what sells now, but change like that is a good thing because we can tell so many more stories if we embrace changing things up.

I don't think anyone disagrees with that. Most of the disagreement over the SJW and Anita are the lies and distortions they commit that piss people off. Whenever someone tries to bring stuff like this up, they are either accused of being sexist, misogynistic, whatever. Or they are ignored and attention is brought up about internet trolls.

I should also say it pisses people off when these people, again I will hold up Anita as the biggest example, are given such praise from big names in gaming and game journalism, when they ignore all of the concerns brought up about these people. Instead commenting how "Gamers are sexist and attack her because she's a woman." No, those are trolls, we attack her because she lies and is scamming money from gullible supporters.
---
3DS FC:1805-2182-4512
#353ElfpwnagePosted 8/30/2014 8:20:33 PM
Elkiador posted...
I love how "diversity" in video games automatically defaults to playing as a character with different skin color or genitals and not different gameplay experiences. Really shows you where the priorities of the "social justice" people are. They don't want new and unique games, they just want CoD with a black lesbian in a wheelchair as the main character.

COD can keep their current protags. I'd much rather have a redeeming, super amazingly awesome Metroid game come out to redeem Samus and see it do well finacially....Q_Q
---
3DS FC- 4484-8561-0306
Name: Shar
#354ElkiadorPosted 8/30/2014 8:24:53 PM
rockman202 posted...
rockman202 posted...
Elfpwnage posted...

The change that we should see is just more diversity in game protagonists. Instead of games starring a dominantly white male lead, how about we see it changed up to a more diverse scene of lead characters? And then support those games that take the chance to try to diversify it up (Within reason, if they still make a crappy game then yeah, don't support them making a piece of crap) but at least put it on your radar to pick up at some point to show game companies that yes, gamers do want a more diverse cast. I know it's risky to deviate from what sells now, but change like that is a good thing because we can tell so many more stories if we embrace changing things up.

I don't think anyone disagrees with that. Most of the disagreement over the SJW and Anita are the lies and distortions they commit that piss people off. Whenever someone tries to bring stuff like this up, they are either accused of being sexist, misogynistic, whatever. Or they are ignored and attention is brought up about internet trolls.

I should also say it pisses people off when these people, again I will hold up Anita as the biggest example, are given such praise from big names in gaming and game journalism, when they ignore all of the concerns brought up about these people. Instead commenting how "Gamers are sexist and attack her because she's a woman." No, those are trolls, we attack her because she lies and is scamming money from gullible supporters.

The only thing that matters to these people is the narrative: video games (and gamers) are abusive and sexist pigs and Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkashian are their Victims™. The truth is utterly unimportant to that end. In fact, it's an obstacle at best.
#355merqabahPosted 8/30/2014 8:28:30 PM
Elkiador posted...
The only thing that matters to these people is the narrative: video games (and gamers) are abusive and sexist pigs and Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkashian are their Victims™.

this really made me laugh.
---
PSA: Their/there/they're are not the same, nor then/than and should of does not exist it's should have
#356OdttPosted 8/30/2014 11:12:01 PM(edited)
Lunitik Muzik posted...
snip

Yeah, I agree with a lot of what you said, but you misunderstood me on the "fail to aknowledge girls that play games on consoles" part. I didn't mean that mobile or facebook "gamers" should be taken into account, what I meant was that some people use that part of the statistic to say "I bet they all play candy crush/whatever" and don't take into account the opinions of those that play console games, therefore invalidating them as an entire group.

What you said about many developers attempting diversity is very true, but that is their fault as a result of bad writing. Bad writing is making characters that are stereotypical towards a gender or race, instead of, like you said, well-written characters that happen to be black (insert other race/sex here). That is exactly the point I am trying to make when I say that many companies would rather "play it safe" because they think that writing someone who isn't a white dude involves giving them stereotypical traits and "using more resources". "Good" diversity does not come at the cost of bad characters, and if people would like to see more of that, then I see absolutely nothing wrong with it because it is not hurting me.

I understand your comment about brushing aside the people that are responsible for keeping the hobby alive, but there ARE gamers who agree with what I'm arguing for. A good example of what I'm trying to convey just happened in the last page of this post, with someone saying that they do not think anyone disagrees with more diversity in game protagonists, only with Anita and "SJW", and then you see other posters disagreeing against with just that. You're one of the only people in this thread that has brought up good counterarguments, while others bring up the phrase "SJW" when they see something that they disagree with, or spout regurgitated/edgy mob mentality phrases.

With that aside, there are other issues that are worth being critical of other than diversity, like the constant use of the death of women in order to strengthen a male character. Hell, I was watching the new episode of Sword Art Online today (horrible anime, but it's like that pack of really bad snacks that you know are horrible for you yet you cannot put them down) and *SPOILERS* one of the coolest characters that the show introduced, with a really interesting backstory, is killed off in order to draw out the main character's anger and "true power" and that type of nonsense. You see this technique happening again and again in some games and other forms of entertainment to the point where it is just a big cliche, it's not just sexist, it's bad and lazy writing. Bad writing should always be discouraged.
#357Aqua69696Posted 8/31/2014 5:46:54 AM
Elkiador posted...
I love how "diversity" in video games automatically defaults to playing as a character with different skin color or genitals and not different gameplay experiences. Really shows you where the priorities of the "social justice" people are. They don't want new and unique games, they just want CoD with a black lesbian in a wheelchair as the main character.

I just love how their idea of equality is "ask the big strong men to do what we want" rather than "Lets do it ourselves seeing as we're just as good as them". I love the irony.
---
Do Unto Others Before They Do Unto You.
#358OdttPosted 8/31/2014 8:03:15 AM(edited)
Aqua69696 posted...
Elkiador posted...

I just love how their idea of equality is "ask the big strong men to do what we want" rather than "Lets do it ourselves seeing as we're just as good as them". I love the irony.

Don't delude yourself. You're not a "big strong man", and not only women are the ones that are tackling the issues we've been discussing, but good job generalizing the subject in order to avoid arguing the points being made in this thread. I've said it before in a previous post of mine, but you, as a consumer, have every right to be critical of the games that you buy, because that is what consumers get to do.
#359DetectiveZPosted 8/31/2014 8:08:18 AM
arleas posted...
I just looked at it again... they're up to a whopping 686 supporters... now Valve HAS to acknowledge them! Right? If I were in charge of running a successful game company I'd definitely shut everything down and lose money because almost 700 people on the internet said so....*

*yes, that's sarcasm.

Almost half of them are trolls, lol,
I keep reading the latest supporters and there's like one real signature out of seven.
---
3DS FC: 1504-5928-8042
Krabby, Poliwhirl and Floatzel
#360arleasPosted 8/31/2014 8:31:55 AM
DetectiveZ posted...
Almost half of them are trolls, lol,
I keep reading the latest supporters and there's like one real signature out of seven.

That's what I figured...I didn't bother to look at the whole list but the last time I looked the top signatures were "Kim Jong Un" and Jim Russel (rustled my jimmies)...I think the whole petition is a troll to be honest. Nobody who gave this more than 2 seconds of thought would figure that this would actually work or would be worth anything to their cause.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3635582762.png