This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Save State PC

#21DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/29/2014 5:13:24 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
I guess you could hibernate your computer in the middle of the game.

DarkZV2Beta posted...
128kb+64kb+65kb+more -> 19kb isn't really a matter of Snes9x being accurate or inaccurate. It's a matter of the fact that you don't need to save all of the information, and much of what you do need to save is redundant and can be quickly and easily compressed.

It's not really feasible for obvious reasons, but it's not impossible.

Even a very basic compression could cover that as well.

Even a really simple:
=
0#32,1,0#3

Something as basic as that is more than 50% compression in my example.

Actually, IIRC, PSP save state does just that. The device is put to sleep, and the suspend state is written to the memory card.
It breaks a few games, and isn't really fast, but it does work.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#22Omnipotent_CowPosted 8/29/2014 5:56:32 PM
Setzera posted...
I think auto-saves replaced the need for a quick save button, but, not all auto-saves are created equal.

Auto-saves have definitely not replaced quick-saves. They're a case of the developers thinking they know when to save the game better than you do. Older devs were wise enough to know only the player could know when it's convenient for them. Ideally, though, there'd be a mixture of both.
#23SinisterSlayPosted 8/29/2014 6:34:24 PM(edited)
Omnipotent_Cow posted...
Setzera posted...
I think auto-saves replaced the need for a quick save button, but, not all auto-saves are created equal.

Auto-saves have definitely not replaced quick-saves. They're a case of the developers thinking they know when to save the game better than you do. Older devs were wise enough to know only the player could know when it's convenient for them. Ideally, though, there'd be a mixture of both.

Autosaves are a console thing. We used to have to go to a save point, open a menu and save. They automated this.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#24DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/29/2014 6:43:30 PM
I miss manual save points. :(
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross