This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

M&B Warband deserves the hype

#1LvthnPosted 8/30/2014 1:00:02 PM
Installed it, played it, logged 80 hours. Then I discovered Floris. If you haven't played it, you're cheating yourself.

I do have a question though: if I want to start my own faction, what's the best way? I know I can just beseige any city or castle as an independent, and once conquered it will become the start of a kingdom, but that obviously comes with heavy risk. Even if you took a very easy to defend city like Narra, you'll have to brute force your way to expansion against established empires.

If I become a vassal and take fiefs that way, can I keep them when I want to rebel? What steps would I take to ensure that if it is possible? I mean, I imagine if you ask to renounce your vassalage, the king will just take your fiefs, no?
#2Erik212Posted 8/30/2014 1:02:30 PM
You need some right to rule I think. Then, yeah, you can basically just give your demands to a noble or just wreck s***.

Also, anyone know when Bannerlord is supposed to happen? Taleworlds just kind of stopped updating everything in April.
---
Another idea I had was the spy/sniper being able to climb into the soldier's rocket launcher and be launched across the map, dealing more damage, but no splash.
#3pwnater777Posted 8/30/2014 1:06:15 PM
The game is insanely good. It took me a ton of work to get into, but once I understood it, it became one of my favorite PC games. The combat is incredible and the political system is awesome.
---
Kojima and Del Toro working on a new Silent Hill starring Norman Reedus... this means the world to me.
Currently playing: Crusader Kings 2, Chrono Trigger DS
#4TowerBooks3192Posted 8/30/2014 1:18:19 PM
Yeah. Game may look rough around the edges but nothing could ever stand toe to toe with it in terms of how awesome it is. I really hope they will not mess up Bannerlord. The dangerous thing about having a masterpiece that is close to perfection is that there is a huge possibility that you might mess up the sequel.

By the way, if you are loving Floris,I would suggest silverstag. Kind of like Floris but it feels just about right for me in terms of the difficulty. Troop tree is a hit and miss though since I think it is not the traditional "raise a bunch of peasants in to some killing machines" . Would also suggest Prophesy of Pendor, Gekokuju, The Eagle and the Radiant Cross, and Brytenwalda.
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#5Lvthn(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2014 2:22:55 PM
Erik212 posted...
You need some right to rule I think. Then, yeah, you can basically just give your demands to a noble or just wreck s***.

Also, anyone know when Bannerlord is supposed to happen? Taleworlds just kind of stopped updating everything in April.

I keep forgetting right to rule.

Basically though, should I even become a vassal if my intent is to be a king? I have some pretty high relationships in all factions now and I've had a merc contract forever, but never asked for vassalage. Should I, can I take my holdings with me in a rebellion? If so, what exactly would I do, go see the king and start a fight, or is it more complicated?

I actually haven't done anything with RTR either. Probably should send out companions anyway.
#6NeilJWDPosted 8/30/2014 2:28:26 PM
Is Floris mod or a location with in the base game?
---
ARGH! Someone gave me some goggles and a spork,
I don't know what the goggles do but I'm gouging my eyes out with the spork!
~Dudeboy
#7Lvthn(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2014 2:35:01 PM
NeilJWD posted...
Is Floris mod or a location with in the base game?

Mod, or mod pack rather. Has a bunch of options built into it so you can customize the mod to your liking. Most folks seem to agree it's a difficult mod as well, and I have to say, enhanced spear damage + AI spear bracing is disgusting. It even offers multiple troop trees which results in very different experiences.
#8Lvthn(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2014 2:43:25 PM
pwnater777 posted...
The game is insanely good. It took me a ton of work to get into, but once I understood it, it became one of my favorite PC games. The combat is incredible and the political system is awesome.

Yes, I will not lie for the first 5 hours I was ripping my hair out. The only thing that kept me playing was that I could see that plainly this game has a sky high skill ceiling and the realism means the payoff is likely worth it. It was, once I learned it was second nature.

I love that the combat supports so many playstyles. Want to make a bunch of Swadian Knights steamroll everything so you can ride around decapitating peasants without micromanaging? Go for it. Rather set up defensive positions on a hill with archers and treat it like a strategy game? Works just fine. Most of the things I wanted in native I found mods added long ago.

Game is an honest 9.5+. It looks rough at first, but then you get used to it and it becomes charming, even the magnificently polite text from rival lords.

Also, the music! Ever since I heard the victory theme in Warband, I can now turn any event in my life from humdrum to triumphant.
#9pwnater777Posted 8/30/2014 2:48:12 PM
Lvthn posted...
pwnater777 posted...

Yes, I will not lie for the first 5 hours I was ripping my hair out. The only thing that kept me playing was that I could see that plainly this game has a sky high skill ceiling and the realism means the payoff is likely worth it. It was, once I learned it was second nature.

I love that the combat supports so many playstyles. Want to make a bunch of Swadian Knights steamroll everything so you can ride around decapitating peasants without micromanaging? Go for it. Rather set up defensive positions on a hill with archers and treat it like a strategy game? Works just fine. Most of the things I wanted in native I found mods added long ago.

Game is an honest 9.5+. It looks rough at first, but then you get used to it and it becomes charming, even the magnificently polite text from rival lords.

Also, the music! Ever since I heard the victory theme in Warband, I can now turn any event in my life from humdrum to triumphant.

It definitely has a huge learning curve, but it ends up being a highly satisfying game when you play it correctly.
---
Kojima and Del Toro working on a new Silent Hill starring Norman Reedus... this means the world to me.
Currently playing: Crusader Kings 2, Chrono Trigger DS
#10thomastandlerPosted 8/31/2014 3:56:50 PM
Ahhhh, Floris Mod.

My main weapons were a massive two handed sword, a one handed sword and shield that could also function as a two handed sword in an emergency. My jousting lance and finally...

My killing stick.

This was a simple spear. But when my group of knights is mobbing the enemy defenders, I need the extra reach, hence the stick.
---
I'm just Lurking around somewhere...