This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does my MOBO have an HDMI slot?

#1HarryMaySinPosted 8/30/2014 7:59:10 PM
My motherboard (asrock z97 extreme4) has an HDMI input but when I plug my tv into it... nothing happens.

its weird, because I used to have a laptop that had an HDMI port and I would hook it up to my tv all the time.. but the HDMI slot on my desktop computer literally does nothing... I wonder why?
#2jedinatPosted 8/30/2014 8:00:47 PM
It's for the GPU in your CPU... and is probably disabled because you're using a dedicated card.
#3NeoBillbinePosted 8/30/2014 9:13:18 PM
HarryMaySin posted...
My motherboard (asrock z97 extreme4) has an HDMI input but when I plug my tv into it... nothing happens.

its weird, because I used to have a laptop that had an HDMI port and I would hook it up to my tv all the time.. but the HDMI slot on my desktop computer literally does nothing... I wonder why?

That is an HDMI output not an input. There are some ASRock motherboards with HDMI in, but the z97 ex4 is not one of them. Like the above poster mentioned it is probably disabled in the bios.
---
Pentium 3220, ASRock Z87E-ITX, H100i, 8GB RipjawsX DDR3, MSI GTX680, M4 64GB, 2TB Samsung F4, Corsair HX650, Obsidian 250D
#4AsellusPosted 8/30/2014 9:42:34 PM
Motherboard video is usually disabled if you have a video card present since having two video devices can cause headaches.

Most video cards of the last four or five years have an hdmi out port, use that instead.