This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What was your catalyst for becoming a PC gamer?

#21Tempest717Posted 8/31/2014 7:01:13 PM
Having broke my laptop in a fit of anger and needing something to play upcoming 3rd party games I decided on a PC to go with my Wii U.
---
NNID/PSN/Steam: Tempest717
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lybewnsXOY1qikhz3o1_r1_500.gif
#22PyjamaHeroPosted 8/31/2014 7:02:38 PM
I like games. I buy machines if games I want to play are on those machines. Therefore I have a gaming PC, a playstation 4, vita, Wii U and a 3ds.
---
"But I am I. And I won't subordinate my taste to the unanimous judgment of mankind."
#23Jason_HudsonPosted 8/31/2014 7:12:25 PM
Battlefield 3. I had a PC since 1998, and before that an Atari computer. It was an office computer, played a few games (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets with 5 minutes+ load times each time I went through a door, and THPS 3 with no textures whatsoever). I built a replacement that was pretty rubbish. Single core CPU, some random GPU. Played WoW (at 0.5fps in raids, that was fun) and BF2/2142. "Upgraded" to a pre-built system that was vastly overpriced and didn't even run Bad Company 2 on low. It had SLI capabilities, but I couldn't use it as the motherboard they supplied had some problem with it. So I continued with consoles.

Being a fan of the Battlefield series, BF3 looked amazing. They did all that presentation, the fan videos and so on... then when it came out, it was absolute garbage on the PS3. 30fps, 24 players and so much aliasing I had to heal myself with medpacks since I cut myself whenever I walked through a door.

As this was going on, my then current (the pre-built) PC started freezing, blue screening and so on. After talking with the technician who was looking at it, I decided on building a proper gaming PC. It's getting outdated now, but still runs games really well, even if it requires me lowering some settings.

I'm upgrading everything (mostly, the PSU is still good, as is the case) in May/June time.
---
Over 8,000,000 players on Steam at the same time.
PC gaming is the place to be. The only way to play games at their true potential.
#24DAENF0RCER13Posted 8/31/2014 7:17:41 PM
Last year's E3. Originally, I wanted a PS4 for my birthday, but looking at the release lineup of its first year, I decided not to and got a PC instead. Plus in the spring of that year, before I got my PC, my laptop broke and so I had it replaced with one which was able to play L4D2 @60FPS at medium-high settings and Skyrim decently.

It was also that time where I discovered the magic of Steam Sales. I spent a little over $100 on last year's summer sale and with all the games that I got and after watching E3, why not get a PC? So I did, and still to this day, I've no interest in buying a PS4...yet.
---
PSN+Steam: chinoman1129 | http://myanimelist.net/profile/chinoman | Let's Plays and Stuff- http://www.youtube.com/user/chinoman1129
#25EsperValkyriePosted 8/31/2014 7:18:17 PM
I'm not only a PC gamer but the catalyst for wanting to play PC games as well was the Witcher, as it seemed it was never going to make it to consoles.
---
"thou art I, and I am Thou..."
#26BiglabronPosted 8/31/2014 7:25:32 PM(edited)
i've always gamed on pc when possible even as a child back in the mid 90's for some Doom.

The plunge into having my own PC for gaming happened when I realized I had saved up a ton of cash and I was sick of consoles leading the market, I recognized that steam was on the rise and jumped ship. back in 2010.

I played on pc before of course, just never had what you would classify as a "pc gamer rig" until I built mine in 2010. I built for longetivity, I wanted to get a decade out of it.

My gaming consists of dungeon crawlers, metroidvanias,rpgs like skyrim/dishonored. My taste has changed greatly since forgetting consoles altogether, was just mainly shooters on consoles.
---
I don't always lose, but when I do it's purple sideu!!!
#27MaximoomPosted 8/31/2014 7:25:06 PM
I guess it was N64 (my last console) lack of games.

After getting started into pc gaming, its hard to go back.
---
Asus P8H61-MLE/BR | i5 3470 3.2Ghz | Zotac GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3-1333 | 1TB HDD | C3TEC 500Rve 500W Bronze | Samsung 32" LCD 1080p.
#28retrosticker903Posted 8/31/2014 7:28:31 PM
My catalysts consisted of revisiting the Mech Combat genre and the Jane's Combat Simulations series (there's nothing better going into the world of flight than the PC realm), the fact that 7th-gen consoles had NOTHING to entertain me with because of genre saturation...

... yeah.
---
Five years ago, I lost 30,000 sandwiches and cakes in a blink of an eye. And GLaDOS just f___ing laughed.
She would not die. Now we know our crime was sin.
#29somebody336Posted 8/31/2014 7:31:31 PM
I wanted to play the superior version of every game.
---
TBWNN's grumpy old man >:/
#30IzicialPosted 8/31/2014 7:33:46 PM
It's better.

Plus a lot of games that I liked when I was younger are on PC like Warcraft and Diablo.
---
Check out my SL 1 playthrough of Dark Souls II on my channel Izzy Games.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL19gU5IpjVkl-9LtY2ASx8ouTspMrGfN_