This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What was your catalyst for becoming a PC gamer?

#71Bellum_SacrumPosted 8/31/2014 11:10:49 PM
Poverty and rampant piracy. the very basis on which PC gaming was built on.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#72DignatoReRaisedPosted 8/31/2014 11:17:31 PM
I've always been a PC Gamer, but I didn't buy a PC specifically with the purpose of gaming until 2008 (A pretty nice ASUS ROG Laptop.) In anticipation of Left 4 Dead 2.

I ended up only playing it for 13 hours.

Before L4D2 came out, I bought Garry's Mod and Team Fortress 2.

After some time, I bought Minecraft. I think in 2010?

Anywho my laptop died in 2011 and I had no gaming PC until last year. Built one myself. Spent all this year buying a ton of games in sales and bundles and now I haven't touched my consoles in months, besides playing SMBU with my parents.
---
DON'T F*** WITH THE SENATOR!
NANOMACHINES, SON!
#73dementedlullabyPosted 8/31/2014 11:21:28 PM
My cousin (r.i.p <3) and my uncle used to bring their PCs with them to my grandparents when I was a kid and play Warcraft 2 during holidays. I thought that was boss and my family got a PC soon after.
---
I'm going back down into deep waters
Starry eyed, Shivers spreading as I fall
#74TwindragonfangPosted 8/31/2014 11:25:08 PM
To many red rings on the 360 so i stopped playing those. PS3 was too expensive at the time, and i already had a 300$ laptop I used for school work, so I just started gaming on it. I also had a Wii at the time and a bunch of GC games I played on it too, so I was a PC and Wii gamer.
If I had an extra 600 bucks lying around I would pick up a PS4 and some games for it, but i cant afford it atm.
#75bluemooglePosted 8/31/2014 11:29:19 PM
I started with PC games when I was very young, and only got a console so I could practice playing the multiplayer games and actually compete with my neighborhood friends. Even after building up quite a library for my Genesis, I would still play on my PC, especially CRPGs and RPGmaker games.

When Neverwinter Nights came out, I was dismayed to discover my crummy computer couldn't even start the game. So I did some research, discovered I needed a dedicated GPU, and begged my parents for a video card to play it. They eventually caved and got me one (some super low-ranged ATI card). Unfortunately it shipped broken, so my parents sent it back, and there went my hopes of playing NWN...

Lol, jk, of course it didn't end there. I was a persistent kid, and was able to convince my parents to give online shopping another shot. So I did more research, this time picking out an entire PC's worth of affordable parts. Couple weeks later they arrived, I built the PC with the help of my dad, and everything worked! IIRC, it had an AMD Athlon 1.7 ghz, 512 mb RAM, and a Geforce 4200ti. Maybe mid-tier at best back then (don't underestimate the 4200 based on current number scheming, though!). But that PC was more than enough for 10-11 year old me, and I was in heaven playing NWN, Morrowind, Deus Ex... all games I couldn't play before!
---
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
#76Darthvoorhees13Posted 9/1/2014 12:16:49 AM(edited)
When I first started using Mods. I was wowed when I first learned and saw examples of them. Something in the game you don't like, think could be better, or you feel it's missing something? With the PC version, it's in your power to change it.

If you don't know how, chances are someone else has already changed it, and you can simply download their mod.
---
"Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?"
- Dr. Gregory House (House, M.D)
#77produnerPosted 9/1/2014 12:39:02 AM
Because masturd race modern hardware. No stupid input lag. Flexibility with graphics options. Mods and unique games. Better severs and cheaper games. Mouse, keyboard and a lot accessories.

I still use consoles occasionally for certain games and communities; we will be forced to have consoles around as long as stupid Sony/MS exist, and Japanese developers refusing to be technically competent.
---
"You need to stop making fun of Brazilians. Your account is going to lose posting privileges at this rate."gfaqs lead mod/admin.
#78koujimorenoPosted 9/1/2014 12:40:12 AM
Games. I saw it like pokemon, except gotta play them all.
#79BilliePilgrimPosted 9/1/2014 1:21:07 AM
I'd played games on PC on and off through my childhood. A random military flight sim, zoo tycoon, rollercoaster tycoon, the sims, a beetlejuice game, some putt putt games, a random tank sim that came on about 20 floppy disks, etc standard kid fare. Gravitated towards consoles in middle and high school since that's what my friends played. Got back into it when I made my first PC about 6 years ago.

It's been love ever since. The variety, availability, and performance of games in unmatched by consoles.
---
i5 2500k @ 4.2| Corsair H60 | EVGA GTX 670 | MSI P67A-GD55 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | Fractal Design Define XL | 750W PSU
http://i.imgur.com/9bAOZZq.jpg
#80samurai1900Posted 9/1/2014 1:25:00 AM
Freedan12 posted...
Games.

This~
---
For Shuppet fans and lovers - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ShuppetForLife
The Ultimate Meloetta Gallery by yours truly! - http://imgur.com/a/Euwf3