This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What was your catalyst for becoming a PC gamer?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What was your catalyst for becoming a PC gamer?
9 months ago#81
The greed of companies and limitations of consoles. On PC, I'm free to do what I want with my games: mod, cheat, tweak, etc...
---
How to easily gain publicity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-51PfwI3M
9 months ago#82
I'd say it was The Neverhood, Beavis & Butt-Head: Virtual Stupidity, and Diablo that got me serious about PC gaming. The downside was that I got in when the graphic adventure genre was dying off fast, but at least I got into Diablo when it was new and mega popular, I think that was the first game I've ever played online. I remember when I discovered trainers and I'd go on Battlenet and fill my inventory with gold and just drop maximum piles of gold everywhere for anyone to take. I wasn't cynical from the internet yet, by the time Diablo 2 came out, I became more of a dick when it came to using trainers, like I'd go on the open Battlenet at level 8 and my stats are maxed and I have all the powers then when someone challenges me to a duel, I one shot them.

In terms of getting a b****'n gaming PC, I think it was more of stuff like Telltale games reviving the graphic adventure genre with Sam & Max season 1&2, and Back To The Future. Eventually I checked out Steam and now I have over 300 games on there.
---
I belong to the blank generation - Richard Hell
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634\
9 months ago#83
Star Wars Galaxies was not on a console.

Granted I still have all 3 of the current gen consoles as well as a 3DS, but the majority of my gaming is on a PC.
---
Currently playing: Nobody cares.
PC Specs: Nobody cares. Official Nobody cares of the nobody cares board.
9 months ago#84
A couple things did it for me.

1. I was tired of the business practices, which have spilled on to PC as well, but we get great sales on PC platform compared to console.

2. My PS3 died, and despite the fact I'm an IT technician, I couldn't get it back up and running, so I made the decision to game on a platform I could fix myself.

3. It was a platform all my friends had, so I knew the chance to game with them was greater.

But those things said, I still game on consoles, just took an extended break from them. Some games are just too good for me to keep away from, and local co-op is hard to find on PC.
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 ghz | MSI 970A-G46 | MSI HD 7870 2GB | 8GB 1600 DDR3 | 650W Corsair | Win7 64bit | 1TB WD Blue | CM 912 HAF |
9 months ago#85
The exclusives. Games like fallout 2, operation flashpoint, swat 3. Even though I played a lot of PC games it didn't become my primary platform until about 2003 when I got my own PC.
9 months ago#86
Poor console practices.
9 months ago#87
While the initial price is a lil more, PC gaming is cheaper, so i guess that's the catalyst for me.
---
Pointing out your stupidity is not trolling
9 months ago#88
ive always played the blizzard games my entire life (Warcrat 1-3, World of Warcraft, Starcraft 1-2 Diablo 1-2). I played these games on regular computers, never needing to really upgrade to play them until Diablo 3 came out. My computer at the time couldn't run it. Now this was a game I've been waiting like 10 years for, so I just built a gaming PC strictly for that game and to avoid any situations like that in the future. Then I discovered Steam and have been pretty much hooked since.

I still prefer console gaming however.

And I don't care about graphics
9 months ago#89
was thinking about jumping back for a while and after seeing new consoles, PC just looked like the better option.
---
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
9 months ago#90
Civilzation III and Warcraft 3. I fell in love with strategy games and made PC my main platform for gaming.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What was your catalyst for becoming a PC gamer?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived