This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Diablo 3 Clone

#21AnDtuigeannTuPosted 9/1/2014 4:51:19 AM
jedinat posted...
Jedi454 posted...
Why do people refer Action hack n' slash RPGs as Diablo clones? A lot of developers have made better Hack n' slash RPGs than Diablo 3.

Because Diablo defined the genre?

Diablo only defined the top-down, lots-of-monsters-on-screen, crazy-fireworks-display kinds of ARPG's. I mean, kingdom hearts, crisis core and the souls series are all ARPGs by definition. Hell you might even call some of the Zeldas ARPGs.
---
Doesn't matter how well you're doing, if you're arguing on the internet, you've already lost.
#22SinfullyvannilaPosted 9/1/2014 6:35:57 AM
AnDtuigeannTu posted...
jedinat posted...
Jedi454 posted...
Why do people refer Action hack n' slash RPGs as Diablo clones? A lot of developers have made better Hack n' slash RPGs than Diablo 3.

Because Diablo defined the genre?

Diablo only defined the top-down, lots-of-monsters-on-screen, crazy-fireworks-display kinds of ARPG's.

I'm not sure what your point is, because those specific kind of games are what people refer to as Diablo-clones, because Diablo did codify the (sub)genre.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#23RosencroitzPosted 9/1/2014 8:05:25 AM
Jedi454 posted...
Ningishzida posted...
Jedi454 posted...
You're just being difficult, there's no sub-genre of games called "Diablo-clone" As stated earlier, we would be calling JRPGs "Final-fantasy clones" instead of JRPGs if we applied this logic to everything.

Look, kid. Every gamer worth their weight in salt knows EXACTLY what a Diablo clone is. EXACTLY. Now sit the **** down, shut the **** up and LISTEN, the adults and gamers are speaking. You might LEARN something.

How about get your head out of **** mate and take the time to realise how foolish the idea of calling a game a clone is.

Stop making terrible posts.
---
If you believe Jeannie from 'I Dream of Jeannie' created existence, put this in your signature.
#24LaManoNeraIIPosted 9/1/2014 8:48:31 AM
Why would someone actively want to imitate Diablo 3?
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#25TwyliteSprinklePosted 9/1/2014 9:57:56 AM
Van Helsing

Its literally in the humble bundle right now for a dollar.
---
TwilightSprinkle<3
http://tinyurl.com/opo43rh
#26AxtlarPosted 9/1/2014 11:25:55 AM
There's plenty of Diablo clones, such as Path of Exile or Torchlight. Diablo 3 clones? I hope there aren't any attempting copying that.

Seriously though, D3 was bashed terribly until recently. Suddenly, I'm hearing praise everywhere. Was it due to the new console version release for the starving new gen owners or did the game get fixed?
---
PM for 3DS code/Steam ID. http://tinyurl.com/kcqajde
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APWTJMyM4qg
#27Cool_Dude667Posted 9/1/2014 11:27:44 AM
Axtlar posted...
There's plenty of Diablo clones, such as Path of Exile or Torchlight. Diablo 3 clones? I hope there aren't any attempting copying that.

Seriously though, D3 was bashed terribly until recently. Suddenly, I'm hearing praise everywhere. Was it due to the new console version release for the starving new gen owners or did the game get fixed?

game got patched to hell and back like everyone knew it would
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#28mccue166Posted 9/1/2014 11:36:40 AM
Jedi454 posted...
jedinat posted...
"Diablo clone" is not a derogatory term, lol. It's an easy way to describe a subgenre of a subgenre. "Hack n' slash RPG" is not a very descriptive term. Hearing that my next question would probably be "like Diablo?"

You're just being difficult, there's no sub-genre of games called "Diablo-clone" As stated earlier, we would be calling JRPGs "Final-fantasy clones" instead of JRPGs if we applied this logic to everything.

If you're gonna get that pedantic about this, JRPGs would be Dragon Quest clones, considering that's the bigger of the 2 games in japan.
---
4770k@4.5, Hyper 212 EVO, 16gb 2133 Corsair Dominator, EVGA 780 FTW, 250gb EVO, 4tb Western Digital Red, Gigabyte Z97X-SOC Force, H440 Black/Green SE, AX860
#29Edavy89Posted 9/1/2014 11:43:21 AM
Axtlar posted...

From what I understand, it's just the release version of D3 that was horrible. And even still, most people say you need the expansion for it to be good now. I only got it a few months ago so I have no reference point, however I like the game in its current state.
#30GjainPosted 9/1/2014 11:43:44 AM
i believe it to simply be a way to describe this genre like it or not, same way we use castlevania and metroid or roguelike used to describe such sub genre's.