This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Diablo 3 Clone

#31LaManoNeraIIPosted 9/1/2014 11:57:31 AM
Axtlar posted...
There's plenty of Diablo clones, such as Path of Exile or Torchlight. Diablo 3 clones? I hope there aren't any attempting copying that.

Seriously though, D3 was bashed terribly until recently. Suddenly, I'm hearing praise everywhere. Was it due to the new console version release for the starving new gen owners or did the game get fixed?

They're the "new" fans. No serious Diablo fan, or hack 'n slash fan in general, is praising Diablo 3 even after updates and expansions. It's just a turd of a game.
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#32Fade2black001Posted 9/1/2014 12:22:40 PM
Ningishzida posted...
jedinat posted...
Jedi454 posted...
Why do people refer Action hack n' slash RPGs as Diablo clones? A lot of developers have made better Hack n' slash RPGs than Diablo 3.

Because Diablo defined the genre?

Yeah, Diablo and then Diablo 2. But not Diablo 3, it defined nothing except "crap".

Diablo 3 is not crap
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#33RaikouenPosted 9/1/2014 12:32:46 PM
Jedi454 posted...
jedinat posted...
Jedi454 posted...
Why do people refer Action hack n' slash RPGs as Diablo clones? A lot of developers have made better Hack n' slash RPGs than Diablo 3.

Because Diablo defined the genre?

That's like saying every early FPS is a Doom clone or every modern day FPS is a CoD Clone or JRPG is a Final Fantasy VII clone.

People do tend to refer to most FPS games as "CoD" clones, even for trivial additions such as progression, challenges, iron sights, or sprinting.
---
Why walk when you can ride? Same low price ;)
#34SinfullyvannilaPosted 9/1/2014 1:03:37 PM
LaManoNeraII posted...
Axtlar posted...
There's plenty of Diablo clones, such as Path of Exile or Torchlight. Diablo 3 clones? I hope there aren't any attempting copying that.

Seriously though, D3 was bashed terribly until recently. Suddenly, I'm hearing praise everywhere. Was it due to the new console version release for the starving new gen owners or did the game get fixed?

They're the "new" fans. No serious Diablo fan, or hack 'n slash fan in general, is praising Diablo 3 even after updates and expansions. It's just a turd of a game.

I love the hell out of the game, and I've played a ****ton of these games. So does the buddy that I co-oped those games with.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#35NingishzidaPosted 9/1/2014 4:15:47 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
Diablo 3 is not crap

Compared to the first two, it is.
#36JYLE_BrHPosted 9/1/2014 5:03:53 PM
Ningishzida posted...
Jedi454 posted...
You're just being difficult, there's no sub-genre of games called "Diablo-clone" As stated earlier, we would be calling JRPGs "Final-fantasy clones" instead of JRPGs if we applied this logic to everything.

Look, kid. Every gamer worth their weight in salt knows EXACTLY what a Diablo clone is. EXACTLY. Now sit the **** down, shut the **** up and LISTEN, the adults and gamers are speaking. You might LEARN something.

So much this.
#37Teh_Dr_PhilPosted 9/1/2014 5:47:56 PM
jedinat posted...
And FFVII in no way defined the JRPG, lol.

For Western audiences, it very much did. You can cite earlier FF, Lufia, Seiken Densetsu all you want, but until the mainstream success and popularity of FF7, JRPGs had a very niche audience over here.
---
Yep.
#38Fade2black001Posted 9/1/2014 5:48:11 PM
Ningishzida posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
Diablo 3 is not crap

Compared to the first two, it is.

D3 is better than 1 and D2 is better than 3 and 1
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#39jedinatPosted 9/1/2014 5:56:45 PM(edited)
Teh_Dr_Phil posted...
jedinat posted...
And FFVII in no way defined the JRPG, lol.

For Western audiences, it very much did. You can cite earlier FF, Lufia, Seiken Densetsu all you want, but until the mainstream success and popularity of FF7, JRPGs had a very niche audience over here.

Making it mainstream has zero to do with defining the genre. It really didn't do anything radically new or different gameplay-wise.
#40SoulreaperX112Posted 9/1/2014 5:53:36 PM
Path of exiles is diablo-esque. I am not sure if its a clone of diablo 3 because I have not played it much but its the same genre for the most part. Its free to play as well(I guess that could be good or bad). I can't really comment on the micro transactions in it since I have not looked at them.

The game starts you out in hardcore mode but when you die you get sent to normal mode instead of losing your character.