This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

HOW VIGOROUSLY would YOU DEFEND YOUR VIDEO GAMES FROM A WOULD-BE BURGLAR?

#151Incendia_IntusPosted 9/4/2014 11:49:24 AM
It's not about the games, or any other material thing for that matter. He is violating my personal property, my home; the place my family and I I are supposed to feel safe in. Everyone around here knows that everyone also has firearms in this small town. If he breaks in, I'm shooting,and I'm looking to kill, not injure. He isn't going to be suing me for medical bills afterwards. If he thought my life and safety was worth nothing, then I'm going to do the same regarding his.

A few years back someone broke into my grandmother's house. She shot him in the leg, and ended up having to front for his medical bills. The system is ****ed up, and if she had just killed him, she wouldn't have had all the hassle she did.

TLDR: A "person" like that is worth nothing and will be treated as such.
---
All childish acts of aggression, shall be handled with laughter.
#152thatfool12GsPosted 9/4/2014 1:41:00 PM(edited)
Sergei_Dukanov posted...
thatfool12Gs posted...
How vigorously would I need to pull the trigger? Shouldn't be necessary, a couple of gentle squeezes should do the trick.

Seriously though, if anyone was foolish enough to attempt a break in while I was home, I'm aiming for the head without a second thought.

That would be considered an execution. And you would be also thrown under the bus. It would be easier to aim for center mass anyways. And if you hit any vital organs, then its unfortunate. You might avoid any and all confrontation by just brandishing your firearm at them while you wait for the police to arrive. Most people dont want to be shot and I "hope" a burglar would have common sense when its time to give up.

It's not considered anything other than self defense. Not sure where you're from, but in Texas under the "King of the Castle" laws, you have the right to use deadly force when someone has intruded into your property, especially into your home.

And lol at the guy who plans to let a burglar do "whatever he wants and file a claim later" - these sickos these days will rape and murder your family, oh but that's ok because you'll have a new PC with all of your Steam games re-downloaded within a week or so. What a typical beta poster response.
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
#153Orestes417Posted 9/4/2014 1:45:14 PM
Killah Priest posted...
hypothetical situation which means conditionals.

you aren't supposed to assume they're going to maul your entire family.

condition was they're there only for your games.
another condition would be, no left over trauma from invasion.

I guess since we're in fantasy land then I'd jump on his head and squish him like a mushroom and hope some comically oversized gold coins flew out of his pocket.
---
Your problem is you've spent your whole life thinking there are rules. There aren't. We used to be gorillas.
#154thatfool12GsPosted 9/4/2014 1:47:09 PM
Lol lots of passive, scared posters in this thread trying to justify a person breaking into your home as a non-threat, or something that can talked through..

Some of you kids are so naive, just hope you never get put in a situation where you have to defend yourselves or worse your families.
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
#155Worknofun370Posted 9/4/2014 1:49:18 PM
thatfool12Gs posted...
And lol at the guy who plans to let a burglar do "whatever he wants and file a claim later" - these sickos these days will rape and murder your family, oh but that's ok because you'll have a new PC with all of your Steam games re-downloaded within a week or so. What a typical beta poster response.

Lolz, sure thing slugger.
---
hasa diga eebowai
#156thatfool12GsPosted 9/4/2014 1:56:41 PM
Worknofun370 posted...
thatfool12Gs posted...

Lolz, sure thing slugger.

Good thing you have your mom and dad to protect your delicate ass
---
#157Worknofun370Posted 9/4/2014 2:01:59 PM
thatfool12Gs posted...
Good thing you have your mom and dad to protect your delicate ass

Lolz, sure thing internet tough guy.
---
hasa diga eebowai
#158Orestes417Posted 9/4/2014 2:08:30 PM(edited)
In all seriousness though:

1. Retreating and calling the cops where feasible is always a reasonable and prudent course of action, especially if you have the benefit of the intruder not knowing you're there or a clear path of egress. No one sane would argue you take that option off the table until it's taken off the table for you.

2. At no point should one ever assume an intruder inside their home means them less than grievous harm.

3. Warning shots or brandishing weapons is *escalation*. Use the damn thing decisively or leave it out of the situation, because the second the intruder knows you're armed you become more dangerous and thus more likely to get your darwin award attempting ass killed along with anyone else stuck with you. Ditto for pretty much any other form of aggression.

4. And for the love of all that is unholy, make sure you actually know how to properly use any weapon you may have and that it's both in proper working order and quickly reachable. Doesn't do you a damn bit of good to have a shotgun for self defense if all you accomplish is blowing a hole in your roof and dislocating your shoulder because you never actually practiced shooting.
---
Your problem is you've spent your whole life thinking there are rules. There aren't. We used to be gorillas.
#159Worknofun370Posted 9/4/2014 2:09:06 PM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
In all seriousness though:

1. Retreating and calling the cops where feasible is always a reasonable and prudent course of action, especially if you have the benefit of the intruder not knowing you're there or a clear path of egress. No one sane would argue you take that option off the table until it's taken off the table for you.

2. At no point should one ever assume an intruder inside their home means them less than grievous harm.

3. Warning shots or brandishing weapons is *escalation*. Use the damn thing decisively or leave it out of the situation, because the second the intruder knows you're armed you become more dangerous and thus more likely to get your darwin award attempting ass killed along with anyone else stuck with you. Ditto for pretty much any other form of aggression.

4. And for the love of all that is unholy, make sure you actually know how to properly use any weapon you may have and that it's both in proper working order and quickly reachable. Doesn't do you a damn bit of good to have a shotgun for self defense if all you accomplish is blowing a hole in your roof and dislocating your shoulder because you never actually practiced shooting.

Completely agree wholeheartedly on all four actually.
---
hasa diga eebowai
#160YombieePosted 9/4/2014 2:18:04 PM
^^^ If it gets down to a life or death brawl, remember that all humans are animals, use your teeth to tear out their jugular, scratch out their eyes, hit the gonads, even using a simple pen with a downward stabbing motion will concentrate all the force and momentum of a punch into a tiny point and cause grievous wounds, even a really forceful "High five" to their nose is enough to break their nose.
At this point you should either secure a defensive positon, run away, or finish/incapacitate him.. depends if you're alone, at home, or protecting others. Remember that there are no rules when it comes to fighting for your life.

Even if you've never worked out a day in your life most people are capable of defending themselves, it's about building up the confidence enough to stand up for your life as well as anyone elses. I think it's important that every single person take a self defense class at some point in their life.