This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

HOW VIGOROUSLY would YOU DEFEND YOUR VIDEO GAMES FROM A WOULD-BE BURGLAR?

#71PathlessBulletPosted 9/1/2014 4:30:20 PM
Avous_Yelmurc posted...
ITT: People don't know the law. You CAN'T harm a burglar unless they threaten you or another.

The fact that a burglar is intentionally trespassing on your property - who could be armed - is considered being threatened.

You have legal impunity to shoot said burglar.
---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#72Avous_YelmurcPosted 9/1/2014 4:52:28 PM(edited)
PathlessBullet posted...
Avous_Yelmurc posted...
ITT: People don't know the law. You CAN'T harm a burglar unless they threaten you or another.

The fact that a burglar is intentionally trespassing on your property - who could be armed - is considered being threatened.

I actually went to court over this exact scenario. I was charged with battery and assault because he was unarmed. A friend of mine ended up shooting a burglar and he didn't get into any trouble because the burglar was armed. Care to reassess this with someone who has been to jail over it?

I mean I only had to create a defense for myself and argue my case in a court of law. I doubt I know anything about this.
#73DarthVashtiPosted 9/1/2014 4:36:12 PM
I have a shotgun.
---
XBL: blueknight1st
#74PhilOnDezPosted 9/1/2014 4:53:35 PM
Avous_Yelmurc posted...
ITT: People don't know the law. You CAN'T harm a burglar unless they threaten you or another. You can only contact the police.

If you killed anyone especially with them unarmed? You're screwed. Enjoy the next twenty five years to life of Federal "Don't drop the soap" Prison.

Edit:
*Facepalm* you people are dense and deserve to go to jail for not realizing breaking & entering and theft =/= homicide and the law doesn't work that way. You can't take an eye for an eye.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine

An intruder must be making an attempt (or have made) an attempt to unlawfully or forcibly enter an occupied residence, business, or vehicle.

Some states apply the Castle Doctrine if the occupant(s) of the home reasonably believe the intruder intends to commit a lesser felony such as arson or burglary.

No idea where you're from but if you live in a Castle Doctrine state you're absolutely allowed to defend your home, and in most cases your vehicle and place of business without fear of being charged with murder or manslaughter.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#75FaycelessPosted 9/1/2014 5:02:01 PM(edited)
Where I live (Texas) you can absolutely defend yourself from an intruder on the assumption that they pose a threat to you and/or your family. It's a perfectly reasonable assumption and I'm glad I don't have to worry about legal repercussions for self-defense. (though as I stated, no way would I put myself in danger over some games!)

Although my state isn't listed on the "castle doctrine" wikipedia page, anybody who knows Texas, knows nobody's getting in trouble for defending their home here.
#76Edavy89Posted 9/1/2014 5:03:42 PM
Avous_Yelmurc posted...
PathlessBullet posted...
Avous_Yelmurc posted...

I actually went to court over this exact scenario. I was charged with battery and assault because he was unarmed. A friend of mine ended up shooting a burglar and he didn't get into any trouble because the burglar was armed. Care to reassess this with someone who has been to jail over it?

I mean I only had to create a defense for myself and argue my case in a court of law. I doubt I know anything about this.

You argued your own case? "The man who represents himself has a fool for a client". Yeah, sure, I'll happily argue with a fool. Better yet, I'll win :-)
#77SinisterSlayPosted 9/1/2014 5:04:35 PM
Lemur_H posted...
SpazH3d posted...
Unless he is going to steal all my passwords (which I haven't written down), then why would I care? Digital games, you know.

If i lived in america I would just shoot the burglar. Isn't that how it works?

Depends on the state. I live in Oklahoma. I don't think it's legal to shoot anyone in my home unless they're a very clear threat to me. That's where the law gets really stupid. They're in my damn home...

Aim for the knee cap.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#78claytonbuckleyPosted 9/1/2014 5:04:43 PM
All my games are on Steam, with Steam cloud saves.
Burglar comes in, he can take my PC, i'll just get a new one with insurance.
---
Pointing out your stupidity is not trolling
#79DeviljhoHAXPosted 9/1/2014 5:05:19 PM
My Xbox 360: Not so much.

PS3: Average.

PC: I'll do what I must.

My copy of Pokemon X with all legendaries and hard earned EV-trained pokemon:
DEATH INCARNATE
---
If you believe in Mewsus as your savior and Arceus as your lord, copy this sig.
3DS FC: 3394-4854-7795
#80GunzleaderPosted 9/1/2014 5:09:12 PM
hmm I dunno a friend just retired as a cop and sold me his taser with the prongs. bring it on is all I gotta say. and I will go for the Privates or noot sack and I won"t turn it off!
only cause I have kids in my house you go after me or my kids you WILL pay.
especially my kids I will protect from anyone I don't give a god dam hell who you are.
military or police **** with my kids see what happens............
---
you are not "official" anything of any board grow up. RIP Everquest Online Adventures 2003-2012