This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

90% of PC games cannot be modded and/or do not have mods.

#61KillerTrufflePosted 9/2/2014 12:03:31 PM
Worknofun370 posted...

Pretty much the entire legal system works on the fact that words aren't really black and white.

Not that I disagree with the actual point you're making, I'm just a nitpicker. :D

Not only that, but word definitions evolve over time based on what society widely recognizes as accepted meanings.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#62MarceloSampaioPosted 9/2/2014 12:41:49 PM
ArkonBlade posted...
Where did you pull this 90% number out of?

His ass, probably.
---
If you believe in Marona as your Loli and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature. :3
http://i.imgur.com/GV8UFZR.png
#63codyorrPosted 9/2/2014 3:10:37 PM
Mods? I don't play... oh yeah, Victoria 2 ULTIMATE. Ok, I play mods.
---
"I'd kill to go back to not knowing what was in the 21st Century."
#64DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/2/2014 3:59:59 PM
WyzeGye posted...
WyzeGye posted...
Darkvz2beta has his head so far up his elitist ass he can taste his own scalp.

Go back and read your posts and my replies. You post something, I easily counter it, then you change your argument.

You're wrong. Get over it. Has nothing to do with me looking for conflict. I'm just making sure you know you're wrong.

Mod is short for "modification" wherein you modify any part of anything... Be it a sink faucet, or computer code. Anything that modifies any part of a game is a game mod. There's no 2 ways about it. That's how words work. Black and white.

I've never done any of those things. You, on the other hand, have, in, like, every post.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#65WyzeGyePosted 9/2/2014 6:44:05 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...

That's bull. There's no way that many console games have mod support. There's, like, what, UT3? And that's it?
If you count custom content, there's that Bangai Oh game on DS, I think Far Cry 2, and the TimeSplitters games, along with those sack games, and maybe some puzzle titles. Looking at 0.00001% at best.

Argument #1 - Consoles have way less than 0.002% of games that can be modded.

DarkZV2Beta posted...
Are you talking about file swap hacks?
I wouldn't really consider that the same thing as proper mod support. Same with character creators and the like.

Argument #2 - swapping files doesn't equal modding (I dunno where the character creation thing came from)

DarkZV2Beta posted...
if you start including hacks and fan patches, then you may as well start including trainers and cheats as well, and then you may as well include bootlegs, too, in which case, everything ever can and probably has been modded.

Argument #3 - Hacks and Fan patches aren't mods, and if they are, trainers, cheats, and illegal bootlegs are mods too.

DarkZV2Beta posted...
Just because mod is (poorly used) in a word's definition doesn't make ti a synonym.
But, hey, if you think CE and AR counts as mods...

Argument #3 - Just because something is defined as a mod doesn't make it a mod.

DarkZV2Beta posted...
I never did, actually. Not that you're doing anything but looking for a conflict since, like, the second reply anyway.

Argument #4 - I totally didn't just do what you're proving I did with this post.

DarkZV2Beta posted...
I've never done any of those things. You, on the other hand, have, in, like, every post.

Argument #5 - I still never did what you said I did, even though I totally did.
---
http://puu.sh/8IK8Q/8e25ebacb7.jpg
http://puu.sh/bhBm6/ef4db1a2b3.png
#66DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/2/2014 8:34:28 PM
Those were all your agenda in this discussion, actually. My point has stood and remained the same, and is still correct.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#67FenriswolfPosted 9/3/2014 1:57:12 AM
Correction, most PC games were moddable until 2005 or so, when consolization and Steam took over. You often get permanently banned in MP games for simply modding your game.
---
Hello
#68MarceloSampaioPosted 9/3/2014 4:40:18 AM
Fenriswolf posted...
Correction, most PC games were moddable until 2005 or so, when consolization and Steam took over. You often get permanently banned in MP games for simply modding your game.

I don't play multiplayer, so MY PC games are still moddable. ^^
---
If you believe in Marona as your Loli and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature. :3
#69krayziejoePosted 9/3/2014 5:12:40 AM
Yombiee posted...
Almost every PC game is "moddable" to some degree or another, from editing ini,xml,sys,etc files to turn on and off functions or change variables, to swapping out assets for replacement ones, even ubisoft games which are notorious for being hardcoded are moddable to many degrees, if only just rendering options.

However, and it's been this way for quite a long time, most games are moddable with little to no prior knowledge necessary.

You just gotta poke around and explore.

GTA2 demo, is a VERY fun and easy beginning game to modify, small download as well.

An old Shareware game named "GLADIATOR" was very robust, offering devkit on disc as well, even with the shareware.

Another fun one was Jagged Alliance 2 1.13 and stalker:cop.

Modding skyrim isn't too fun because it feels more like shopping for goods, rather than making them yourself, it was a little too streamlined, however the accessibility was nice as an introduction to modding games.

Not to mention all the emulated games which can be modded, a simple one being the ol' translation patches.

Duke3D was the first game I ever modded, and it's still just as easy as ever. People, look for the "user.con" file in the game's folder (or slightly hidden behind ..../gameroot/classic in the case of Steam). Have a quick read of the preamble that 3D Realms puts in and you might actually be surprized to find that modding was encouraged by developers BEFORE the internet became mainstream.

"3D Realms encourages you to experiment freely with the parameters
contained in this file, and to share your discoveries with the rest
of the world. However, BE ADVISED that 3D Realms does NOT offer
any technical support on how to use this file or other user-modifiable
features of this game. Do NOT call 3D Realms or Apogee Software
for advice or help with this subject."

It might sound a little scary, but it's really not. There's just a bunch of easily identifiable parameters to alter. I love the very first one on the list....
"define SWEARFREQUENCY 100 // The lower, the less."

People tend to forget that modding doesn't just involve creating custom models or nude skins.
---
Real gamers know how to play chess.
#70MarceloSampaioPosted 9/3/2014 6:58:01 AM(edited)
I once edited the User.con file to make the enemies generate a LOT more gore than usual.

Heck, even a simple pig cop generated so much gibs that the game slowed down because of it! :p
---