This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Saints Row dev admits to failures in portraying women, calls on industry change

#21ModernFOXXPosted 9/1/2014 6:57:46 PM
I feel that saints row 3 was meh, and 4 was a lazy cash grab. (But game quality isnt the subject of this topic so i'll stop) But really...... THIS is the game that doesn't realistically portray women?! NO SOCK the game itself is based around being insane and stupid and stereotypical. And screw the dev for saying this, what a hypocrite...
---
i7-4770K | EVGA SC GTX 780 3GB | Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB | Asus Z87-Pro ATX | Corsair 650W | Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB
#22calcyclePosted 9/1/2014 7:06:34 PM
Asellus posted...
Uh, call me crazy but looking at the actual tweet "This something we all should be better at. Yes the orignial saints row is listed here. Yes it should be", I don't think I'd extend it to the later games.

The original didn't really have any positive major female characters. One was a villain who used sex to manipulate(Mila Kunis btw), one was an idiot, and the last one died after being found out after going undercover with another gang. I guess the last one was fine and she was independent in her own way which is commendable. All of them has that SR sex appeal though.
---
Do not add to the Chocolate of Coach, or worship false Bills for this will imprison thou within the Blood Harvest finale for all eternity
#23AsellusPosted 9/1/2014 7:09:53 PM(edited)
Why do I even try to inject sanity... He's clearly talking about the first game, not the later ones where you can play as the black, lesbian gang lord / president of the United States.

The original didn't really have any positive major female characters. One was a villain who used sex to manipulate(Mila Kunis btw), one was an idiot, and the last one died after being found out after going undercover with another gang. I guess the last one was fine and she was independent in her own way which is commendable. All of them has that SR sex appeal though.

And this is what *she who must not be named*'s video was about - women as background decoration or being killed in gruesome ways as a lazy writer's method of setting a dark tone. The later ones do have major female characters who contribute quite a lot to the plot.
#24SilentS89Posted 9/1/2014 7:11:43 PM
Reminds me of Cliff "Chainsaw Bayonet" Bleszinski complaining about Bioshock's violence.
#25Tyranius2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2014 7:17:02 PM
Why is it mandatory for a game to have major female characters? It's not and a game isn't inherently flawed for having women just as sexual decoration. If the game offends you, you are immature, but rejoice, there are 100s of games which aren't like that at all, so go play that.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#26Tyranius2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2014 7:19:42 PM
women as background decoration or being killed in gruesome ways as a lazy writer's method of setting a dark tone

That video failed to validate a single point she was trying to make. She nitpicked examples out of games where you can do the same gruesome things with men. She's a talentless hack, but a gifted con artist, literally conned loads of money to complain about something she knows nothing about.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#27SilentS89Posted 9/1/2014 7:28:19 PM
Tyranius2 posted...
...games where you can do the same gruesome things with men....

Exactly, there seems to be this fallacy that men are portrayed so much better than women in games.

That just isn't true, video games aren't the best medium for the portrayal of realistic humans in a non-offensive manner. That isn't the goal of video games and it isn't something they excel at doing.

Frankly, I don't want video games to portray people (male OR female) in a realistic and non-offensive manner. If I did, I wouldn't be playing Saints Row.
#28AsellusPosted 9/1/2014 7:33:40 PM(edited)
Tyranius2 posted...
women as background decoration or being killed in gruesome ways as a lazy writer's method of setting a dark tone

That video failed to validate a single point she was trying to make. She nitpicked examples out of games where you can do the same gruesome things with men. She's a talentless hack, but a gifted con artist, literally conned loads of money to complain about something she knows nothing about.

It depends. Some of them were kind of weak but a few points seemed fair enough - both men and women make for good corpse decoration but you don't generally see dead men pinned to the walls deep-throating a spear. Or that one scene from God of War 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qzahN5Gsr8 (7:30)

- topped off with the "I didn't do it... but I wish I did!" achievement.

Most of the other stuff is quite a lot weaker though. Scripted events that need a "Okay, the player does nothing... now what?" outcome, one bit from a tutorial that's rather macabre in its looping stupidity but understandable in that the game's not going to finish the thing until the player learns how to shoot their bloody pistol.

Whole thing rather reminds me of the "Women in Refrigerators" debate from a long while back.
#29ChamillionLivePosted 9/1/2014 11:27:08 PM
calcycle posted...
Asellus posted...
Uh, call me crazy but looking at the actual tweet "This something we all should be better at. Yes the orignial saints row is listed here. Yes it should be", I don't think I'd extend it to the later games.

Why would you single this game out for lack of positive female characters when there were no positive male characters either?
---
"C4 is not a substitute for a certified mechanic." - A_Hairy_Waffle
#30AsellusPosted 9/1/2014 11:57:15 PM
ChamillionLive posted...
Why would you single this game out for lack of positive female characters when there were no positive male characters either?

It's less about "positivity" than "relevance".