This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Old timers, reminisce your memories of PC gaming

#1Bowm4080Posted 9/1/2014 1:12:53 PM
Yes, even if you played them in the early 90s I consider you an old timer. I bet some of you are are almost or over 30 lol Crazy how time flies

As I prepare for my very own gaming build at the nigh of this month, I will be able to start my own PC memories as I grow older (Currently 16, better enjoy being a kid while it lasts).

So, I figured why not make a topic different from all the "BAHGAWDFEMINISTSUBISOFTZOEQUINN" and let you reminisce of your memories as either or kid or teen be it in the 80s, 90s, early 2000s etc.

I shall post my memories in a decade, give or take.
---
I'm a gamer, not a financial analyst
#2kobalobasileusPosted 9/1/2014 2:19:51 PM
My first PC game was the awful port of Mega Man (http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/581731-mega-man). Not only was the game itself horrible, but playing a platformer with a keyboard made me very, very sad.

My next PC gaming experience was King's Quest 3. Unfortunately, I couldn't play it when I got it because my Dad's awful Tandy 1000 didn't have a HD floppy drive (only DD). So I fantasized about how awesome it must be to have a game where you could literally type anything into the text box and have your character do it. Once I finally got a friend with a better PC to copy the game onto DD floppies (it still needed the HD original floppy in the drive to start, which still makes no sense), I was extremely disappointed by the number of "you can't do that" messages I received instead of limitless imagination.

After that, my PC gaming experiences largely consisted of trying to play games on a PC with more than enough power but constantly getting memory errors or hard disk corruption (I managed to get to the final area of Stone Keep but kept running into "line missing" errors that prevented me from finishing it). I also purchased second-hand copies of all the D&D Gold Box games, only to discover that most were on 5.25" floppies, which prevented me from using them (and the ones I did manage to start completely sucked).

I was thrilled with my SNES for a long time, as it never gave me any of those BS problems and had lots of spectacular games.

I tried PC gaming a bit again when the Infinity Engine games released, and was very impressed, but ultimately fell away from PC again when the Aurora Engine (NWN2 specifically) prevented me from playing D&D games on PC simply because of graphics whoring (my GPU wasn't good enough, and upgrading wasn't an option at the time).

The overall lack of identity among the 7th and 8th Gen consoles (which all want to be locked-down PCs), combined with the Revelations of Lord GabeN (Steam Sales!) has seen me return to a PC gaming environment that is far and away better than it ever was in the past.
#3Unsugarized_FooPosted 9/1/2014 2:27:58 PM
I remember playing Age of Empires 2 on my grandparents brand new Windows 98 PC. Then I ended up spending all of my middle school days on Warcraft 3 and being apart of the internet community.

Then I grabbed an Xbox 360 my freshman year of high school, and I played that console until I graduated from College last year. But my fond memories of PC gaming led me back to making my own setup with my new found time and money. So now I have a very power rig...to play Warcraft 3 and AoE 2 HD lol
---
"All I have is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for anyone!"-Tony Montana
#4spud_almightyPosted 9/1/2014 5:33:53 PM
I remember when my uncle bought me C&C Tiberian Dawn on release week. A completely new style of game to master and still the best in the series!

I still haven't adjusted to RTS games since they've went to 3d! :D
#5DC07301981Posted 9/1/2014 5:59:57 PM(edited)
I remember going to RadioShack with my mom in the early 90's and picking out a computer on display. It was a Packard Bell, don't really remember the specs though. I was a teenager back then. That was our first computer.

Gaming wise, I don't really remember the first game I played but it was probably a game that came with the pre-loaded software on the computer. Then games like WarCraft, Diablo, and DOOM started coming out for the PC and I wanted to play them. I didn't even know how to install them on the computer, and I remember it took me some time to figure out how to get them to run.

I do remember constant software crashes and random freezing with Windows where I had to restart the computer because it was frozen. I'm thankful now that current operating systems are pretty stable and don't have freezes that require restarts that often.

When I started working when I was around 15 or 16 years old, I saved up and bought a computer of my own and started playing games like Civilization and SimCity.

Browsing the web I remember using Prodigy and Netscape Navigator. I believe we had a time limit as to how many hours we could log in and use the monthly subscription. I know me and my younger brother got into a lot of fights as to who was hogging the computer.
#6happyscrub1Posted 9/1/2014 6:01:49 PM
I think it was the Sims that got me into PC gaming. Then it was City of Heroes/Villains that got me into online gaming.
---
(fixed) Sorry if I don't reply. It's probably because:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/110210424@N05/14507091120/
#7MaxCHEATER64Posted 9/1/2014 6:05:59 PM
The fact that I couldn't afford a Commodore 128 that my uncle had and instead had to buy a "lower class" Amiga 500 was a defining moment in my childhood.
---
https://i.imgur.com/6sZC0hY.png
"Some people have skeletons in their closets. I just have a bone in my pants." -Mitchell2003
#8fataliPosted 9/1/2014 6:21:57 PM
First game I remember playing was pong, in a ricochet console, must have been around 1978.

After that, I remember playing a lot of Spacewars in a Victor 9000 computer.
http://chrishecker.com/images/thumb/1/14/Spacewar-crop.png/350px-Spacewar-crop.png

Next I had an Intellivision, with a bunch of games.

Years after that I remember playing a lot of MS-DOS games, like Pacman, Digger, some flight combat simulator, Test Drive, alley cat and can't remember what else.

Later I had an Atari 2600.

After that I had pretty much all consoles until the present, when I only bought a PS4 and I'm gonna skip on the WiiU and Xbone.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#9HolyKnight199Posted 9/1/2014 6:26:38 PM
I remember sometimes around 1992 to 1995 during Christmas parties I was playing with the other kids a little turn-based game where each player is a little tank and you have to shoot at other tanks by selecting an angle. To complicate things, there was wind to mess with your shots, and the terrain on which tanks fought could be destroyed by shots. After a quick Google search I think the name of the game was Scorched Earth but I don't know for sure because I was a Nintendo kid until well into the N64 era.

My first real PC game was Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. Then I got the Warcraft Battle Chest containing a (legal) Warcraft 1 and Warcraft 2 + expansion. Lots of fun, although Warcraft 1 was so hard that in the late missions even the infinite gold/lumber cheats didn't save me.
---
Peace!
#10MaxCHEATER64Posted 9/1/2014 6:27:57 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]