This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Remember when most games let you save any where?

#11Dieinafire1Posted 9/1/2014 5:47:14 PM
I remember I could save anywhere like it was yesterday because it was yesterday! lol
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.4 ghz | MSI 990FXA-GD65 V2 | EVGA SLI TITANS | 16GB 1866 DDR3 | 850W Corsair | Win8.1 64bit | 3TB HDD 256 SSD | Hyper 212 Evo | 4K | PS4|Xbox1
#12NingishzidaPosted 9/1/2014 11:34:37 PM
Unpure_Euphoria posted...
Actually it's the opposite for me OP, I grew up on jRPGs that could only be saved at save points. Soooo, no actually I don't think consoles are responsible for checkpoints.

Savepoints are... checkpoints.
JRPGs... are console games.
#13YombieePosted 9/1/2014 11:42:50 PM
The worst offender of early checkpoint/save point for pc was imo, GTA 1/2. The game offered a mini-map, yet it was a design decision to omit a citywide view where you could memorize the streets easily, the the game was set in a bird's eye view isometric 2d/3d perspective so things like landmarks were often indistinguishable, adding to the confusion and difficulty of somehow getting back to the save point, which was a giant neon sign that said, "JESUS SAVES!"

Not only was it difficult to find, it cost money too, which was the only way you could progress in the game, so saving actually set you BACK in terms of gameplay, but also made it much harder when you'd often die multiple times just trying to find the place.
#14RJWalker243Posted 9/2/2014 12:02:12 AM
Remember when games didn't let you say at all?
#15Bellum_SacrumPosted 9/2/2014 12:19:17 AM
Quicksave/quickload PC casuals.
Angry at a video games for exposing their incompetence since time immemorial.

Heck, I remember PC Gamer and other publications back when PC gaming was still relevant being consistently butthurt whenever a game without that kind of pathetic scrubbery came out.

*goes back to playing Blade of Darkness*
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#16NingishzidaPosted 9/2/2014 12:32:57 AM
RJWalker243 posted...

There are some really dumb posts in this topic, but this one takes the cake.

Dude can't even type "save" and also pretends he isn't a kid and was actually there when most games didn't let you save.
#17MarceloSampaioPosted 9/2/2014 3:25:46 AM
RJWalker243 posted...
Remember when games didn't let you save at all?

For PC? Which ones? I'm curious. Because MOST PC games from the earlier days let you save your progress.
---
If you believe in Marona as your Loli and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature. :3
http://i.imgur.com/GV8UFZR.png
#18MaxCHEATER64Posted 9/2/2014 3:37:20 AM
RJWalker243 posted...

No.

First game I ever played on a home computer (i.e. not arcade lol) was Zork I, and that game had a save feature.

But go ahead and keep pretending like you actually know what you're talking about.

---
https://i.imgur.com/6sZC0hY.png
"Some people have skeletons in their closets. I just have a bone in my pants." -Mitchell2003
#19RaikouenPosted 9/2/2014 3:52:20 AM
Thanks Obama!
---
Why walk when you can ride? Same low price ;)
#20SoporilBraceletPosted 9/2/2014 3:54:11 AM
Bioshock Infinite and Dead Space are guilty of this, actually.
---
TU FUI, EGO ERIS.
What you are, I was. What I am, you will be.