This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

An Open Letter to Silence Criticism

#1HaeravonPosted 9/1/2014 11:00:14 PM
This letter is getting signatures from all sorts of developers... And while I'm not advocating harassment and threats, the internet is an open forum-you're going to have to learn to take the good with the bad.

This seems to be about silencing criticism as much as anything else, and Anita, Phil, and Zoe certainly deserve criticism for their actions... Lying, manipulating, filing false DMCAs, mis-representing gaming and demonizing gamers... And of course, further eroding the integrity of gaming journalism.

The fact that every gaming site and so many developers seem to be siding with these people is worrisome, to say the least.

https://medium.com/@andreaszecher/open-letter-to-the-gaming-community-df4511032e8a
---
Join the gaming community at www.haeravon.com
Watch gaming videos at www.youtube.com/haeravonfaqs
#2slyman19Posted 9/1/2014 11:07:12 PM
When did the video game industry get infected with drama? Was it always here and I just missed it?
#3kobalobasileusPosted 9/1/2014 11:13:46 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#4jake-sfPosted 9/1/2014 11:19:23 PM
I'm missing the point here.

"We believe that everyone, no matter what gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, or religion has the right to play games, criticize games and make games without getting harassed or threatened. It is the diversity of our community that allows games to flourish.

If you see threats of violence or harm in comments on Steam, YouTube, Twitch, Twitter, Facebook or reddit, please take a minute to report them on the respective sites.

If you see hateful, harassing speech, take a public stand against it and make the gaming community a more enjoyable space to be in.

Thank you
"

In what way is any of this wrong?
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#5Chrebet808Posted 9/1/2014 11:21:21 PM
none of the people you mentioned even signed that thing; hell, none of the people even involved with all that ridiculous crap even signed it.

all it says is if you see people threatening to hurt or kill somebody because they dont like the video games these people make to report them.
---
I was programmed to kill your ass!
#6ElkiadorPosted 9/1/2014 11:25:15 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#7rainedownPosted 9/1/2014 11:25:34 PM
Yeah....wtf. And awesome to lump Anita in with those two, her tropes on women videos are actually really good (if a little dry) and the only 'lie' she's supposedly been caught in was misrepresenting one act of violence out of the thousand or so she's used in the series.

If you're against what that petition says, I don't know...maybe you should rethink your morality a little.
#8akuma634Posted 9/1/2014 11:30:36 PM
Nobody is saying to end criticism. People are saying to end threats of rape and murder from the gaming community in reaction to hearing/reading/seeing something they don't like. There's a big difference between "I don't agree with Tropes Vs Women in gaming" and sending a long winded rape fantasy to her. Criticism isn't the same as terrorist threats. Internet anonymity isn't an excuse to act like a savage.
---
I belong to the blank generation - Richard Hell
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634\
#9CammyApplePosted 9/1/2014 11:34:27 PM
rainedown posted...
Yeah....wtf. And awesome to lump Anita in with those two, her tropes on women videos are actually really good (if a little dry) and the only 'lie' she's supposedly been caught in was misrepresenting one act of violence out of the thousand or so she's used in the series.

If you're against what that petition says, I don't know...maybe you should rethink your morality a little.

The only problem with her videos are that she ignores that violence happens against men in games far more often than it does women. If it's a question of equality that means violence is fine against both genders or neither.

She offers no real solutions either but that's another topic.

People should just be good to each other. It's pretty simple at the core.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
Go hardcore with glitter on the floor.
#10ElkiadorPosted 9/1/2014 11:35:00 PM
I am still not at all convinced that the supposed threats of rape and murder floating around are not part of a false flag operation by SJW's to make their position more sympathetic. It wouldn't take much for Anita or one of her fellow travelers to reg a few disposable Twitter accounts and then tweet threats at their main accounts. Then they sit back, beg for donations and let the money and sympathetic editorials from game "journalists" roll in.