This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

An Open Letter to Silence Criticism

#251KillerTrufflePosted 9/3/2014 4:19:46 PM
Beyond Good and Evil was a good game (aside from a bug that killed my game quite a ways in, and I couldn't bypass it).
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#252drivenbyPosted 9/3/2014 4:22:20 PM
So now she has a say on proper etiquette on hitman games.

The penalty for killing any civilians is "trivial" at best, BTW . but good job singling out that one group of people.

Why don't you say what's really on your mind? "you can't have strippers on games!"

What's the male equivalent of misogyny btw? I wanna cause God hand of that! Lol.
---
Posted using GameFlux
Get it now for Android from Google Play!
#253drivenbyPosted 9/3/2014 4:22:59 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Beyond Good and Evil was a good game (aside from a bug that killed my game quite a ways in, and I couldn't bypass it).

The save bug?
---
GameFlux: Unofficial GameFAQs board browser
#254KillerTrufflePosted 9/3/2014 4:25:09 PM
drivenby posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

The save bug?

I actually don't remember specifically - might have been. I remember getting to a point where a specific target (enemy, I think?) needed to be eliminated for me to proceed, but it never showed up, so I was effectively trapped. Loading an earlier save, etc. did nothing to fix it either. Could never progress past that point. Could have been due to a corrupted save tho - who knows? It was a *long* time ago I played it. I believe I have it on Steam - may need to try it again sometime.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#255SneakiestNegPosted 9/3/2014 5:06:49 PM
I don't even know what Anita supporters want. I swear that 90% of them are not even gamers. What is her end goal? What is she trying to accomplish?
We all know why EA is making a sequel to Mirrors Edge, right? It is the gaming equivalent of a big studio making an indie movie. It won't sell. It is EA throwing a bone to some keyboard warriors.
This will all blow over. Just like the cheerleader thing in the NFL. Only cheerleaders are real and their harassment is real.
Gamers are just an easy target. Hope this whole thing makes some people feel better about themselves. Affecting change in the real world is too much work I guess :(
#256SneakiestNegPosted 9/3/2014 5:13:31 PM
Opressed women of the world: your sisters are fighting your fight. Against video games. Now when you are raped you can at least be sure it wasn't done by someone playing misogynistic games.
#257wh0_kn0wsPosted 9/3/2014 5:24:20 PM
SneakiestNeg posted...
Opressed women of the world: your sisters are fighting your fight. Against video games. Now when you are raped you can at least be sure it wasn't done by someone playing misogynistic games.

like rape wasn't the goal all along, how can you be as cool as the other girls if you've never been oppressed for REAL
---
it's simple. just be nice.
#258AlleRacingPosted 9/3/2014 8:39:51 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
And I quote, directly from the video:

"The play comes from exploring the boundaries and possibilities within the game space. So on many of the titles we've been discussing, the game makers have set up a series of possible scenarios involving vulnerable, eroticized female characters. Players are then invited to explore and exploit those situations [during a playthrough? hard to make out those words on cheap-o work speakers]." Shen then goes on to point out that "in-game consequences for these violations are trivial at best, and rarely lead to any sort of failed state or game over."

I do believe you are stretching it just a tad to claim she says the game "encourages you to kill a pair of strippers," and she actually addresses the "penalties" you get if you kill them even tho you're "technically" not supposed to. Her comments actually sound quite a bit more thought-out than all the accusations against her...

There is no stretching at all, this is a direct quote:

"Players are then invited to explore and exploit those situations during their playthrough. The player cannot help but treat these female bodies as things to be acted upon because they were designed and constructed and placed in the environment for that singular purpose. Players are meant to deride a perverse pleasure from desecrating the bodies of unsuspecting virtual female characters."

And it is a complete fabrication on her part.

Asellus posted...
Right-o. This is an ongoing thread that she simply cuts to Hitman footage for supposed illustration of. She doesn't say that "This is how you do this part in Hitman", she says "This is something you can do in Hitman, and come on, who hasn't done this at least once, who could resist? Huh, huh?".

No, she doesn't say, "this is something you can do." She says it's something the player can't help but do, and to act upon them is their singular purpose, and that the player is meant to derive perverse pleasure from desecrating their bodies. That is completely made up. She is a liar, and now, so are you.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://steamsigmaker.de/new/AlleRacing.png
#259RoboXgp89Posted 9/3/2014 8:42:32 PM
They just trying to make violent games and put women in roles that would be a grave danger for all.

chill out
#260YombieePosted 9/3/2014 8:48:00 PM
SneakiestNeg posted...
I really wonder how many Sarkeesians actually bought Mirrors Edge full price at release.
I did. I will play any protagonist that is cool. Male female child alien japanese god in the form of a wolf.
Unlike most I will put my money on the line. Mirrors Edge sold poorly by the way :(

Mirrors edge also sold poorly due to the Gamestop phenomenon.
Singleplayer games often get beat and sold right back multiple times (you can sort of rent games from gamestop, as they have a 1-2 week refund policy for instore credit), this is also why games like Dark Sector got horrible sales, it was a single player game with little to no replay value.
Due to a large number of console gamers buying their games used from gamestop (where these sales do not go to the publisher nor the developer, nor are they counted in total sales of the game).

Thanks console gamers for killing games.