This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anybody just walk into a big town in an RPG and

#1Tyranius2Posted 9/2/2014 5:46:02 AM
notice that the town is massive with un-intuitive ways to navigate with a crapload of NPCs and just go "f*** it"?

I tend to do that when the town is really big, waste of time to be talking to all NPCs with flavorless text, so I just skim a walkthrough to see if there any missables and move on.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#2AnDtuigeannTuPosted 9/2/2014 5:48:03 AM
I tend to play RPG's like that for immersion, so when I see a big town I go exploring. If I get to a big town and don't feel like exploring it then I'm not really getting the most out of it and I'll shut it off and go play something a bit simpler.
---
Doesn't matter how well you're doing, if you're arguing on the internet, you've already lost.
#3MaxCHEATER64Posted 9/2/2014 5:53:10 AM
no matter what you do or what you're playing

no town will have more loading screens than the Imperial City in Oblivion

---
https://i.imgur.com/6sZC0hY.png
"Some people have skeletons in their closets. I just have a bone in my pants." -Mitchell2003
#4JavelinPosted 9/2/2014 5:56:07 AM
Tyranius2 posted...
waste of time to be talking to all NPCs with flavorless text.

You must be playing JRPGs. Play a real RPG, like Planescape: Torment or Gothic II, and you won't have this problem.
#5SpazH3dPosted 9/2/2014 5:56:20 AM
I said that when I went to china in Deus Ex Human Revolution. I actually stopped playing the game for a year or so. Maybe more. Bigger is not always better.
---
- My vision is augmented
#6Tyranius2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2014 5:58:29 AM
Javelin posted...
Tyranius2 posted...
waste of time to be talking to all NPCs with flavorless text.

You must be playing JRPGs. Play a real RPG, like Planescape: Torment or Gothic II, and you won't have this problem.

Yeah, Planescape Torment had important NPCs, but also had a lot of random joe NPCs and was boring as heck to boot.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#7Game-XpertPosted 9/2/2014 6:55:46 AM
If its a sci fi game yeah ill do that as its always boring but, if its a fantasy like game with a medieval theme ill actually bother talking to everyone I can find.
---
3DS/PC/PS3
#8BringitPosted 9/2/2014 7:51:48 AM(edited)
JRPGs are guilty of this a lot. Especially as often they are not only huge but also linear making getting around lengthy and uninteresting.

I'm sure I'll get lynched but Skyrim's towns work pretty well. They're maybe a little on the small side but you can navigate them like a real place and not by following a winding path you're not allowed to step off due to invisible walls and locked doors.
---
"Surprise, Charlie... You're a bastard, too. Welcome to the club." - Wolverine
#9Jedi454Posted 9/2/2014 8:06:49 AM
MaxCHEATER64 posted...
no matter what you do or what you're playing

no town will have more loading screens than the Imperial City in Oblivion

This is what happens when you intend on bringing an RPG to Console first.
#10SinfullyvannilaPosted 9/2/2014 8:10:10 AM
I dunno, honestly JRPGs tend to have almost everyone talk about something at least vaguely pertinent to the plot or pointing you in something's direction. The only one I can think of that was filled with "window dressing" characters was FF12 and I play a ton of those games.

On the flip side, it seems most modern WRPGs have at least 1/3 window dressing characters.

I don't think those kind of characters are bad, that's just my observation.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}