This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anybody just walk into a big town in an RPG and

#11TowerBooks3192Posted 9/2/2014 8:15:19 AM
Depends on which game. I usually play JRPGs and I enjoy talking to each and every NPC and exploring every nook and cranny. If it is something like an ARPG then I wouldn't bother with the small talk. Don't like to talk to people around more modern RPGs though as I know it is a bit shallow and feels a bit limited except in cases where the RPGs are as big as Original Sin.
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#12Killah PriestPosted 9/2/2014 8:18:10 AM
Yep, its the reason I hate towns in RPGs.

just give me a small round area with everyone important standing in a circle so I can move on with my game.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#13Sora_AnbuPosted 9/2/2014 8:22:57 AM
Welcome to Cornaria.
---
Dood... http://wp.me/1EBnQ KC
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack
#14GoldninjaPosted 9/2/2014 8:24:24 AM
Depends on my mood. If it's a huge city that's difficult to remember/navigate, then I usually try to move on as fast as I can. If it's a smaller town, I explore.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#15GoldninjaPosted 9/2/2014 8:27:03 AM(edited)
Sinfullyvannila posted...
I dunno, honestly JRPGs tend to have almost everyone talk about something at least vaguely pertinent to the plot or pointing you in something's direction. The only one I can think of that was filled with "window dressing" characters was FF12 and I play a ton of those games.

On the flip side, it seems most modern WRPGs have at least 1/3 window dressing characters.

I don't think those kind of characters are bad, that's just my observation.

Yeah, FFXII kind of threw me when I first played it. "Wait. Why can't I talk to these people. What? Why are they even here?" lol

Which reminds me. Vaan's town. It's an example of a town I don't really like to explore.
---
#16SinfullyvannilaPosted 9/2/2014 8:42:33 AM
The only kind of RPGs with cities that are actually big are MMOs.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#17GoldninjaPosted 9/2/2014 8:53:06 AM(edited)

You've never played Suikoden V, I take it.

I'm not going to try to dispute it. I don't play MMOs. My definition of "huge cities" may be different. I just don't like navigating towns that have a hundred different houses with a thousand different NPCs that basically don't have anything to say and that is confusing/difficult to navigate. Plus, if I need to go to a store or something, it involves navigating for five/ten minutes just to go there and go back out.

Though big cities in 2D RPGs are usually less of a hassle.
---
#18SinisterSlayPosted 9/2/2014 8:44:20 AM

And completely static.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#19AnDtuigeannTuPosted 9/2/2014 8:47:24 AM

Spellforce 2 had a pretty big city. They had to devote an entire island to it.
---
Doesn't matter how well you're doing, if you're arguing on the internet, you've already lost.
#20SinfullyvannilaPosted 9/2/2014 8:57:10 AM
Goldninja posted...

You've never played Suikoden V, I take it.

I'm not going to try to dispute it. I don't play MMOs. My definition of "huge cities" may be different. I just don't like navigating towns that have a hundred different houses with a thousand different NPCs that basically don't have anything to say and that is confusing/difficult to navigate. Plus, if I need to go to a store or something, it involves navigating for five/ten minutes just to go there and go back out.

Though big cities in 2D RPGs are usually less of a hassle.

That's the sailing one, right? I have it but I think I only played it for an hour.

I'm of course making a generalization. I'm sure there are exceptions.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}