This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If the world lost the Internet for an entire year, how would you feel?

#51Lemur_HPosted 9/3/2014 11:01:48 AM
arleas posted...
But anyway, if the internet died, I'd probably focus as much as I could on learning Japanese and guitar, except that most of the reason I was able to start learning these things in the first place was because of the internet, so it'd actually be much harder. :I

Do it now. -thumbs up-
#52_Zero1_Posted 9/3/2014 11:02:55 AM
Timmy124123 posted...
LAN party!

Im going to this guys house

Also, I think mankind would probably move forward in leaps and bounds
---
i5 3570k| Radeon HD 7950| 16GB 1600mhz DDR3| Asrock Z77 Pro4| Coolmaster V8 CPU Cooler| W7| 1.7TB HDD/256GB SSD
#53daemon_danPosted 9/3/2014 11:06:46 AM
Killah Priest posted...
If the world lost the Internet for an entire year I think that would be quite possibly the greatest thing that could happen to us.

I would feel incredibly ecstatic.

50inchDLP posted...
Great! All the lost productivity the internet has caused that without it we would have been on mars by now.

I'm not quite sure what you two think the internet has done to hamper our progress. But it's only advanced since the advent of the internet. Especially scientifically. Without the internet we would still be 30 or so years behind without the intercommunication and wealth of resources it offers. Just because humans aren't on mars doesn't mean a damn thing. There's no practical reason for them to be at the moment
---
"Desperate times call for desperate measures. Go ahead and pour that gasoline."
~DevilDriver: Desperate Times
#54daemon_danPosted 9/3/2014 11:08:12 AM
_Zero1_ posted...
Timmy124123 posted...
LAN party!

Im going to this guys house

Also, I think mankind would probably move forward in leaps and bounds

Yeah no. The interenet is one of the reasons we have moved forward as much as we have since its inception. Especially in areas of science and cultural understanding. How is more isolation good for progress?
---
"Desperate times call for desperate measures. Go ahead and pour that gasoline."
~DevilDriver: Desperate Times
#55arleasPosted 9/3/2014 11:55:26 AM
If the internet died I think the post office would suddenly become much more important... and cell phones.... also while the internet might die, that wouldn't stop people from doing what they did BEFORE the internet. Does anyone remember dialing up a BBS?

I used to call up about 5 different BBS's, log in, browse the boards (which would be like the forums here), leave messages, download and upload some stuff, play some BBS games like Tradewars, then when my time was up (you were limited to about an hour per call) I'd dial up the next one in line and do it all over again.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3635582762.png
#56anonymous46773Posted 9/3/2014 11:58:36 AM
I work at Walmart, and even that job would be impossible without the internet nowadays.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#57CharmilePosted 9/3/2014 5:25:40 PM
After this post I'm going to try and ignore this topic, the entire day the home network has been down.

The topic is cursed lol

In reality, my ISP was doing some updates, and they were apparently mishandled
---
The problem with restraining speech is, who gets to set the rules? If it's only okay in a certain time or place, who gets to say what time and what place?
#58Lucavi000Posted 9/3/2014 5:42:09 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#59DRAGON07891230Posted 9/3/2014 6:04:24 PM
Requiem posted...
Probably World War 3.

Considering the world financial system would collapse, yeah, that definitely sounds like a possibility. I mean, if money can't buy oil anymore, tanks may get involved.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#60Death_BornPosted 9/3/2014 6:18:17 PM
I would probably be very annoyed, but it wouldn't be the end of the world for me. I would just use analog tech until the whole thing blew over.