This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

why are most people against amd?

#21PraetorXynPosted 9/2/2014 11:09:24 PM
beautifuldreams posted...
amd still dominates the home consoles

Because they went to Nvidia first but weren't willing to give Nvidia enough money to make it worth it for them.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#22Billy Trance(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2014 11:29:55 PM
You get what you paid for. AMD has no quality issues. You pay for the same generation CPU at different prices. Intel's economic i7 performs about 7% better than AMD's equalvalent eight core 8120. However they charge 90% more prices for being the best of the two.
#23KamenRiderBladePosted 9/2/2014 11:40:18 PM
Billy Trance posted...
You get what you paid for. AMD has no quality issues. You pay for the same generation CPU at different prices. Intel's economic i7 performs about 7% better than AMD's equalvalent eight core 8120. However they charge 90% more prices for being the best of the two.

When you are the market leader, you try to milk your audience for what you can get away with.

That's what Intel does every time.
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#24TropicMoon10Posted 9/2/2014 11:50:33 PM
AMD is good

Intel is better

Only question is whether or not the extra performance is worth a higher price tag for you

screw da h8trz
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#25rainedownPosted 9/3/2014 12:51:31 AM
Unsane and Praetor pretty much nailed it, always so glad to see well thought out responses on here like that.

AMD has basically focused on making their chips look like they're better rather than actually making them perform better. The clock speeds and core counts (which are questionable to begin with) draw people in, but Intel ends up out performing them with chips that look worse on paper (to the basic person), but perform better.

I have used AMD CPUs for builds, though, usually when the build is budgeted pretty low and the card they can get can't bottleneck on it anyhow. Now that some h81 mobos can OC Intel though, even the budget area is questionable.

I do hope they step up and actually deliver a strong next gen of CPUs, though, as you can already see Intel becoming complacent with the last chips they put out having fairly meager gains. Competition is always good for us, as consumers.
#26GoldninjaPosted 9/3/2014 4:40:29 AM
AMD was doing decently in the CPU market until the fiasco that is Bulldozer. It was delayed several times, for way too long, and when it finally released, it was underwhelming as ****. The previously released Phenom II Blacks were out performing it on some levels. Not to mention those "8 cores" were nothing more than market spew to reel in the uninformed.

I liked them during the Phenom II era. They were great price/performance cpus. I wouldn't touch one of their current chips though.

Now they're apparently focusing on APUs. don't expect them to recover for a while.

As for the GPUs, it's pretty much the same boat as its been for years. People complain about drivers. Others say the drivers are fine. They have a decent price/performance ratio. Etc.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#27Billy Trance(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2014 5:02:22 AM
You guys make amd sound like super nintendo and intel sounds like a ps4. There difference in performance is not that great. it's like ps3 and wii tops.
#28Garage_ManPosted 9/3/2014 5:04:12 AM
I enjoyed my phenom II 965be. Never had a single issue with the chip. The problem is since then they have kinda....they kinda done nothing.

They release new processors to try and compete with older Intel procs. What they NEED to do is make their own 2 core that can compete with the i3. A 4 core that can compete with the i5.

If they managed that..things might change. Unfortunately that ship has sailed. Even their graphics card division isn't the same as it used to be.
#29Killah PriestPosted 9/3/2014 5:19:26 AM
I use only AMD GPUs because nvidia is evil.

I stopped using AMD CPUs after the Athlon XP line because they just didn't seem to be as competitive as they were before that.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#30DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/3/2014 9:29:51 AM
Billy Trance posted...
You guys make amd sound like super nintendo and intel sounds like a ps4. There difference in performance is not that great. it's like ps3 and wii tops.

So, you would buy a Wii tower over a PS3 tower when no advantages of either platform besides performance are present, and they're the same price?
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross