This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

why are most people against amd?

#31SetzeraPosted 9/3/2014 9:36:55 AM
I've never meant to be an AMD guy, just keeps happening on it's own. With the exception of this last one I've built, that was intentional based on it's price/performance ratio.

I have nothing against Intel, just never seem to have a reason to choose it when I'm in the market for computers.
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 ghz | HD 7870 2GB | 8GB | Win7 64 | ~ ~ ~ | PS4 | PS3 | Wii U |
#32BogePosted 9/3/2014 10:33:10 AM
Nvidia is where the cool kids play.

AMD is still the better performance for the $. They're noisier and hotter, but faster.

I prefer Nvidia at this time because of the heat and noise issue. I have a mini ITX machine and I really enjoy it being as silent as possible.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#33KURRUPTORPosted 9/3/2014 11:21:02 AM
I've always been surprised Intel doesn't get all the hate directed at them. They release CPUs yearly with like 5% real time performance improvements, up the price over last years model (instead of decreasing the previous models price like the industry standard), cheap out on thermal parte so you can't oc properly without delidding your CPU and voiding the warranty, and have new socket types so you have to get a new mobo every time you upgrade.

That's like the definition of being anti consumer yet people are constantly praising them. They are worse than ea with the way they treat their paying customers yet instead of hate they get praise... I never understood it really.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#34DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/3/2014 11:33:43 AM
Because they actually make a competitive product.
Blame AMD for Intel not improving performance. The lack of competition is why.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#35GunmaN1905Posted 9/3/2014 11:46:14 AM
Boge posted...

AMD is still the better performance for the $. They're noisier and hotter, but faster.

I prefer Nvidia at this time because of the heat and noise issue. I have a mini ITX machine and I really enjoy it being as silent as possible.

My silent@30c idle vapor-x sapphire 280x says hi.
And I live in a very hot area.

I'd never buy nvidia over my 280x now for example, because for the same amount of money nvidia can't compare.

As for CPU, I've had intel since e8800 and now i7 920.
#36Haley Joel OsmentPosted 9/3/2014 12:10:24 PM
GunmaN1905 posted...
Boge posted...

My silent@30c idle vapor-x sapphire 280x says hi.

Then you run Minecraft at 800x600 and nobody can hear it say anything any more over the vacuum cleaner noise. It's a generally accepted fact that AMD cards are hot, noisy and fail much more quickly than Nvidia ones.

---
I see dead people.
#37LaManoNeraIIPosted 9/3/2014 12:18:44 PM
It's just the PC version of "console wars"

Turns out Nvidia fanboys are just as annoying as Sony fanboys, so take what they say with a grain of salt. Just look at the benchmarks and prices and decide for yourself, it's really that simple. Just chose the best card in your price range.
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#38reincarnator07Posted 9/3/2014 1:13:37 PM
LaManoNeraII posted...
It's just the PC version of "console wars"

Turns out Nvidia fanboys are just as annoying as Sony fanboys, so take what they say with a grain of salt. Just look at the benchmarks and prices and decide for yourself, it's really that simple. Just chose the best card in your price range.

Problem is (at least with CPUs) they flat out don't compete past the APUs for gaming anymore. At every other price point, Intel offers better performance for the price.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#39Nmilek1Posted 9/3/2014 1:43:04 PM
Bad experiences, every AMD I have owned has overheated amd died well before it's time.

see what i did there?
#40KURRUPTORPosted 9/3/2014 2:37:38 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Because they actually make a competitive product.
Blame AMD for Intel not improving performance. The lack of competition is why.

Blame AMD for Intel using very anti consumer business practices? I understand they don't need big improvements but why release something at all when the changes are so miniscule? It's because so many idiots keep upgrading anyways. If any thing is to blame it's the idiots who keep upgrading when they have barely increased performance at all since sandy bridge how many years ago.

Intel does a lot of shady crap, they've even been caught red handed paying off people to make their CPUs look better.

Like I said when ea re releases a new cod every year that has little to no improvements people around here laugh and say how crappy they are and don't understand why people would keep buying them. When Intel does the same thing people go nuts over the next big CPU and drop hundreds for a new CPU (plus motherboard since Intel can never use the same socket twice.

Yet somehow the hate falls on AMD for this according to fanboy logic.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.