This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

why are most people against amd?

#51GunmaN1905Posted 9/4/2014 5:30:11 AM
PraetorXyn posted...
GunmaN1905 posted...
Haley Joel Osment posted...
GunmaN1905 posted...
Boge posted...
Nvidia is where the cool kids play.

AMD is still the better performance for the $. They're noisier and hotter, but faster.

I prefer Nvidia at this time because of the heat and noise issue. I have a mini ITX machine and I really enjoy it being as silent as possible.

My silent@30c idle vapor-x sapphire 280x says hi.

Then you run Minecraft at 800x600 and nobody can hear it say anything any more over the vacuum cleaner noise. It's a generally accepted fact that AMD cards are hot, noisy and fail much more quickly than Nvidia ones.

What? Are you so blinded by your fanboysim?
Sure, nvidia has some features like physx and gsync with AMD doesn't, but if you compare cards with similar price AMD just blows nvidia out of the water.
Stock cards might have overheating issue, that's why you buy card with a custom cooler.
I've had 9800gt that failed year and a half after purchase. Sapphire 5870 lasted me 4.5 years and it still works, I just decided to upgrade.
280x can run metro on ultra @1080p, fyi. I got it for 250ish new.
What can you get from nvidia for that money

$250 is about 5.6 hours' work for me, so I really don't care.

People do exaggerate how loud and hot AMD's cards are, but the fact remains that they are louder and have much higher TDP than Nvidia cards (particularly the R9 290 series, which run obscenely hot, even if they're designed for it I consider it a poor design).

If you want raw performance for the lowest price you get an AMD GPU. If you want efficiency and performance you go with Nvidia.

AMD's CPU's on the other hand really shouldn't ever be used. There is no longer a price point where they beat Intel in price/performance ratio.

Idk who would pay someone that stupid $250 per work day. Oh well.
Your logic is that you being rich justifies overpaying something by a lot? Rofl.

And I said, get r9 card with custom cooler and problem is solved. They're bit more expensive than stock ones, but still a lot cheaper than their nvidia counterparts.

And as I assumed, there's no reply from that haley joel that talks nonsense.
#52PraetorXynPosted 9/4/2014 9:48:54 AM
GunmaN1905 posted...

Idk who would pay someone that stupid $250 per work day. Oh well.
Your logic is that you being rich justifies overpaying something by a lot? Rofl.

And I said, get r9 card with custom cooler and problem is solved. They're bit more expensive than stock ones, but still a lot cheaper than their nvidia counterparts.

And as I assumed, there's no reply from that haley joel that talks nonsense.

Resorting to ad hominem now are we?

And no, I would still buy Nvidia no matter how much I made. Custom PC's are multi-year investments, so I would save what I needed to build what I wanted.

You realize Nvidia's cards have custom coolers as well? Therefore your argument is moot as AMD's cards still have the same problems.

Furthermore, EVGA partners with Swiftech to manufacture Nvidia cards with the Hydro Copper full cover water block around them for custom water cooling. I've actually tried to find someone doing this for AMD cards, but have been unable to (which is a shame, as they're the ones that really need it); I thought Sapphire might as they're basically the EVGA for AMD cards, but they don't.

Because all my builds now utilize custom water, Nvidia makes the most sense. You could buy the card and block seperately and put it on there, but the block usually leaves parts of the silicon exposed in that case which I find tacky, and it's harder to find good full cover blocks for non-reference cards. EVGA manufactures non-reference cards with water blocks sealed around them.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#53GunmaN1905Posted 9/4/2014 10:00:06 AM
Again, you're making the same mistake.
I'm not even remotely saying that nvidia cards aren't worth buying.
So, nvidia having custom coolers. They're good, I know. But where did I say they weren't?

Nvidia having custom cooler makes AMD's custom cards non-viable? What?
I said that you can solve temperature problem easily by buying cards with custom coolers.

And you're falling for marketing tricks too much, can't be helped.
Again, why does my Sapphire card need a water cooling if it never goes over 60c under max load?
You're just a blind fanboy.

Also, googling for amd water cooled cards is too hard? Or all these results I'm getting are fake?

I don't care what your build utilizes. You're rich boy, we got it. That' doesn't make cheaper cards non-viable because you're nvidia's fanboy.

I haven't had a conversation with someone as ignorant as you in a long time.
In that EVGA paragraph you sound like someone from those TV Shop advertises. "but that's not all"

You're just one of those people "I have my choice, if you prefer anything else, it's wrong because it's terrible which I can prove based on my non-existing evidence".
#54PraetorXynPosted 9/4/2014 10:38:30 AM
GunmaN1905 posted...
Again, you're making the same mistake.
I'm not even remotely saying that nvidia cards aren't worth buying.
So, nvidia having custom coolers. They're good, I know. But where did I say they weren't?

Nvidia having custom cooler makes AMD's custom cards non-viable? What?
I said that you can solve temperature problem easily by buying cards with custom coolers.

And you're falling for marketing tricks too much, can't be helped.
Again, why does my Sapphire card need a water cooling if it never goes over 60c under max load?
You're just a blind fanboy.

Also, googling for amd water cooled cards is too hard? Or all these results I'm getting are fake?

I don't care what your build utilizes. You're rich boy, we got it. That' doesn't make cheaper cards non-viable because you're nvidia's fanboy.

I haven't had a conversation with someone as ignorant as you in a long time.
In that EVGA paragraph you sound like someone from those TV Shop advertises. "but that's not all"

You're just one of those people "I have my choice, if you prefer anything else, it's wrong because it's terrible which I can prove based on my non-existing evidence".

No, that's you. You have your choice, and anyone who chooses otherwise is a "fanboy" or "ignorant," because they're "overpaying by a lot" for a product you don't consider worth its price. I've already stated that AMD will give you the performance you want at the cheapest cost. I consider their higher TDP and noise to be worth purchasing Nvidia.

My point about the custom coolers was, if AMD's reference cards run hotter and are louder than Nvidia's reference cards, then AMD's custom cooler cards will run hotter and be louder than Nvidia's custom cooler cards, so it was moot to bring custom coolers up in the first place.

The point of water cooling is silence mostly. There's nothing louder and more annoying than GPU fans under load. That being said, you'll be far cooler with it, which means you can overclock your cards (and CPU) harder, and get more performance out of them.

If you only game at 1080p then it doesn't really matter, but for 2560x1440 or multimonitor setups it's just better.

Also, I'm far from rich. But I worked hard to get my education and now work as a SharePoint consultant. I came from nothing, so stop trying to act as if my opinions aren't worth anything by insinuating that I'm some spoiled child.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#55GunmaN1905Posted 9/4/2014 10:44:51 AM
Evidence of custom cards from nvidia being cooler?

I know pros of water cooling, but you basically said AMD is bad because it doesn't fit your build.

I'm not saying that your opinions aren't worth anything, but you post nonsense like "amd needs water cooling", when in reality, it doesn't and 295x2 have water cooling.
#56DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/4/2014 10:51:03 AM
AMD cards have higher TDPs. That means they output more heat, and on equivalent cooling, will run hotter and louder.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross