This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How much better is Dragon Age Origins for PC than consoles?

#1temoorashrafPosted 9/2/2014 9:54:00 PM
I've completed DA:O twice on my xbox, and really want to go through it once more, because I haven't yet played any of the DLC.
I just got a new laptop and read on some topics that it's a lot better experience on it, but the reasons were pretty vague.
So could someone please explain why it's better.

I don't care too much for graphics, I probably won't be able to run it at max settings, maybe on high though.
---
I'm an alligator, I'm a mama-papa coming for you.
#2unsanePosted 9/2/2014 10:01:24 PM
Visuals, definitely. But for the most part the biggest difference is in the control scheme. Origins came before EA refined the controls for consoles by -- somewhat arguably -- diluting the experience and making things more friendly for controllers with DA2.
---
This website is best viewed with eyes open.
#3kblaze13Posted 9/2/2014 10:06:54 PM
the controls and how you can play it are a big difference.

While yes you can pause and attempt some tactical strategy on the console version the fact you are pretty limited to the same behind the character 3rd person camera limits you vastly.

On PC you can literally zoom the camera out and get the layout of your entire battlefield to setup traps/ambushes/aoe much more precisely and effectively.

Then of course there are the various mods.

and console commands.

and of course graphics.
---
Iightningz posted...
I hate Lightning.
#4NingishzidaPosted 9/2/2014 10:14:20 PM
CONTROLS
CAMERA
TACTICS
FRAMERATE
TEXTURE QUALITY
LOADTIMES
MODS
BUGFIXES
TWEAKS

/caps
#5temoorashraf(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2014 10:30:06 PM
I tried to find some videos to show off the controls, but I can't find any good ones.

Ningishzida had a pretty good argument.

Problem is, I already have the UE on xbox and haven't played it, so it would be a waste.
---
I'm an alligator, I'm a mama-papa coming for you.
#6ArkonBladePosted 9/2/2014 10:33:13 PM
Its 1080p , 60 FPS, and has mods.

PC version wins.
---
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#7xsvrrxPosted 9/2/2014 10:36:51 PM
in my option is better for the he 360 its faster paced and sightly quicker combat. dont get my wrong though i loved neverwinternights and pc dragon age but just found 360 a better experience for me personally at est untill all the face texture mods came out then i kinda changed mostly playing the pc version.
It really depends on the type of games you like and difficultly the hardiest difficulty on 360 is like normal on pc aslo due o the forced micro management of your followers because here ai sucks lol
#8NingishzidaPosted 9/3/2014 11:21:11 PM
xsvrrx posted...
in my option is better for the he 360 its faster paced and sightly quicker combat. dont get my wrong though i loved neverwinternights and pc dragon age but just found 360 a better experience for me personally at est untill all the face texture mods came out then i kinda changed mostly playing the pc version.
It really depends on the type of games you like and difficultly the hardiest difficulty on 360 is like normal on pc aslo due o the forced micro management of your followers because here ai sucks lol

Kid, really? Really, kid?

Origins PC can be modded with faster combat and faster runspeed (two tiny files you simply drop into your Override), that means combat is faster even than DA2.

Origins PC has AUTO-LOOT with another tiny, simple mod.

In fact, I'm just gonna leave this here, my Origins modding post:

ftg UI mod
adv quickbar mod
extra dog slot
updated mabari+quanari (Bioware model/texture improvements)
faster combat (like DA2, vanilla is too slow)
faster runspeed (like DA2, again vanilla is just too slow)
Redesigned
awakenings Redesigned
fixes: core fixes, especially important are the 2 haste fixes for bugged dual-wielding
tweaks: auto loot, auto loot kills

skip dah Fade (not recommended for first run, you should experience this loathsome segment of the game first-hand)

not recommended for first run, these makes the game much harder, but much more rewarding and tactical combat:

RAVage
Smarter AI

NOW, if you need to do experimentation, the following I find very helpful:

Angel_console_fix_fonts_er-1110
able to see what you are typing when using the console (~ key)
*.erf goes in BioWare\Dragon Age\packages\core\data

AddItem_Script_1_1-1131
*.ncs goes in \BioWare\Dragon Age\packages\core\override
possible to add any item to your inventory via a new "additem" console command

Syntax is:

runscript additem <item tag> <amount>

practical example:

runscript additem gen_im_misc_backpack.uti 10

^ that adds 10 backpacks, the most annoying aspect of the game is item carry capacity limit.

you follow this, you're gonna enjoy Origins infinitely more.

Thank me later.

Now how is a console version better than this?
#9kblaze13Posted 9/3/2014 11:24:53 PM
ooo I must've missed that smarterAI...

may have to go do another playthrough with it.
---
Iightningz posted...
I hate Lightning.