This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Linux/SteamOS is now picking up steam! (no pun intended)

#11Doomsday FortePosted 9/3/2014 6:42:47 AM
Amazed Torchlight 2 is going Linux since there apparently still isn't a Mac port.
---
http://doomsdayforte.tumblr.com/mybooks
I guess I should advertise some more.
#12Solid SonicPosted 9/3/2014 6:43:42 AM
None of those are racing or fighting games.

*Yawn.*
---
The PC is NEVER, EVER getting GTA5!!
*Golden face about to laugh.*
#13GoldninjaPosted 9/3/2014 6:45:31 AM
TropicMoon10 posted...
It's more important to worry about SteamOS's future rather than adding existing games.

The way I see it is, Steam Machines are supposed to compete with consoles. Neither the Playstation or Xbox have backwards compatibility, so older games are completely irrelevant for that market anyway. The thing that really matters is what kind of support will Steam Machines have at release. Will the next GTA support it? What about CoD? Dark Souls 3? The next Tomb Raider sequel? If these kinds of high-profile mainstream games actually do have flawless day-one SteamOS/Linux support then I can see it being a damn compelling platform, regardless of whether or not it'll run games from the past.

Exactly. Too bad it's being marketed as having the PC library, when it has, maybe, 5% of it.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#14Worknofun370Posted 9/3/2014 6:47:07 AM
Goldninja posted...
Exactly. Too bad it's being marketed as having the PC library, when it has, maybe, 5% of it.

Where is it being marketed as having the PC Library? (Honest question)
---
hasa diga eebowai
#15GoldninjaPosted 9/3/2014 6:50:56 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
Goldninja posted...

Where is it being marketed as having the PC Library? (Honest question)

"Access the full Steam catalog of nearly 3000 games"

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

Pretty sure SteamOS doesn't have directx, meaning if a game isn't compatible with Linux, it won't be compatible with SteamOS. Correct me if I'm wrong. Unless the developers of these games, or a team at Valve, makes its whole library compatible, I don't see this happening.
---
#16ShubPosted 9/3/2014 6:56:34 AM
Actually, it says "Access the full Steam catalog of nearly 3000 games and desktop software titles via in-home streaming."

"Via in-home streaming" :)
Implying you need a Windows PC to stream your games to SteamOS if they're not natively available for SteamOS.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#17MagnemightPosted 9/3/2014 6:57:39 AM
y'missed FTL: Faster Than Light
---
Magikoopa Security Force: Defend against the Shy Guys!
Check out the demo (offsite): http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&param=02&c=2&id=29243
#18GoldninjaPosted 9/3/2014 6:58:36 AM
Shub posted...
Actually, it says "Access the full Steam catalog of nearly 3000 games and desktop software titles via in-home streaming."

Implying you need a Windows PC to stream your games to SteamOS if they're not natively available for SteamOS.

Ah, missed that part. Would mean that if you want to play the majority of the library, you need a powerful PC in addition to a SteamBox. Brilliant.
---
#19Orestes417Posted 9/3/2014 7:07:56 AM
Goldninja posted...
Shub posted...

Ah, missed that part. Would mean that if you want to play the majority of the library, you need a powerful PC in addition to a SteamBox. Brilliant.

Which fits the intent to sell the steambox as secondary machines for the livingroom. They aren't competing with consoles so much as they are pushing the home media center concept and preparing the way for streamed computing in the future.
---
Your problem is you've spent your whole life thinking there are rules. There aren't. We used to be gorillas.
#20ECOsvaldo(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2014 7:55:22 AM
Solid Sonic posted...
None of those are racing or fighting games.

*Yawn.*

Project CARS is not racing? Please check again. Thank you.
---
PSN ID: ecosvaldo | 3DS Friend Code: 2707-1633-0103 | PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/ABH