This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's the difference between 64 bit and 32 bit on thief?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What's the difference between 64 bit and 32 bit on thief?
1 year ago#1
I'm getting better performance on the 32 bit version but I'm trying to figure out exactly what it's forcing to be turned off.
1 year ago#2
someone more knowledgeable then me can correct me if i'm wrong, but i think 32bit windows version games aren't able to use more then 4GB of ram while 64bit can go above that limit. not sure what exactly the impact for thief would be because of that, though i'd imagine it should be more sluggish.
---
build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Baka wa shinanakya naoranai.
1 year ago#3
Yeah he's got it, 64 bit lets your computer handle more ram. Basically, you have 64 values for addressing RAM instead of 32 values.

64 bit basically means 64 binary (0 or 1) values vs. the old way, 32 bit which is 32 binary values.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
1 year ago#4
64-bit executables may require twice as much memory as 32-bit executables since the instruction size is twice as large. Unless you have more than 8GB of RAM you may actually be at a disadvantage running the 64-bit executable due to its higher memory requirements.
1 year ago#5
Usually 64 bit versions run better on 64bit OSs because they don't require the 32bit translation layer.
But the difference is very minimal. Maybe 0.1 frames per second?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What's the difference between 64 bit and 32 bit on thief?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived