This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are some of the most commonly referenced "Greatest Game of all Time?"

#21SythisTaruPosted 9/3/2014 12:20:01 PM
-Planescape: Torment
-The Last of Us
-Fallout 3 (Yes, I love 1&2 also)
-Red Dead Redemption
-As of last week.....Walking Dead Season 2.
#22RaikouenPosted 9/3/2014 12:26:03 PM
Hagan posted...
I feel like every week a new post comes up asking what "The Greatest Game of all Time" is, and people post their opinions, but I wanted to make a thread to compile what appears to be the most commonly accepted Greatest Games are.

I'll start:

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Final Fantasy VII
5. Doom

I only wanted to list 5 to see what other people bring to the table. Feel free to add and challenge!

Recent opinions always seem to change. The only static ones are FF7, Zelda OOT, and Mario (either 64 or 3 are the most debated).

Aside from that, people seem to have their own new definitions every week. Sometimes it's Doom, Diablo, and Wolfenstein 3D, sometimes it's Grand Theft Auto 5, Red Dead Redemption, and Call of Duty 4, and sometimes it's even Octodad and Portal.

I think there's no good way of justifying "best of all time" unless you want to look at it as a technical standpoint: where it makes good use of the system it released on with as few glitches/bugs as possible (natively, not fixed through user help). Looking at games as "best of all time" without making your only basis being how well it uses the system and without bugs means you're going to start relying on fun factors and opinions, which then will differ from person to person and from what games have recently released or that they have recently enjoyed.
---
Why walk when you can ride? Same low price ;)
#23SythisTaruPosted 9/3/2014 12:27:26 PM
Raikouen posted...
Hagan posted...
I feel like every week a new post comes up asking what "The Greatest Game of all Time" is, and people post their opinions, but I wanted to make a thread to compile what appears to be the most commonly accepted Greatest Games are.

I'll start:

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Final Fantasy VII
5. Doom

I only wanted to list 5 to see what other people bring to the table. Feel free to add and challenge!

Recent opinions always seem to change. The only static ones are FF7, Zelda OOT, and Mario (either 64 or 3 are the most debated).

Aside from that, people seem to have their own new definitions every week. Sometimes it's Doom, Diablo, and Wolfenstein 3D, sometimes it's Grand Theft Auto 5, Red Dead Redemption, and Call of Duty 4, and sometimes it's even Octodad and Portal.

I think there's no good way of justifying "best of all time" unless you want to look at it as a technical standpoint: where it makes good use of the system it released on with as few glitches/bugs as possible (natively, not fixed through user help). Looking at games as "best of all time" without making your only basis being how well it uses the system and without bugs means you're going to start relying on fun factors and opinions, which then will differ from person to person and from what games have recently released or that they have recently enjoyed.

I've haven't seen anyone list Mario much, but the other 2, ya.
#24LvthnPosted 9/3/2014 12:31:49 PM
Go
Chess
the stock market
your mom

Starting with the hardest, ending with the easiest.
#25TropicMoon10Posted 9/3/2014 12:31:57 PM
Half Life 2
Timesplitters 2
MGS 3
System Shock 2
Earthbound
Super Mario Galaxy
World of Warcraft
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#26PhilOnDezPosted 9/3/2014 12:50:33 PM
RE4 is my one and only greatest game. It's so far above and beyond any other game that I've played that I don't think anything else is worthy of sitting alongside it in context. (IMO obviously).
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez