This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else given up on dayz ever being finished?

#31jammymacsterPosted 9/4/2014 8:13:56 AM
Pixel Piracy went to full release from early access. Only it still feels like an early access product to me.
---
http://goo.gl/UEC2Y
#32ATARIJAWAPosted 9/4/2014 8:14:07 AM
MrMonkhouse posted...
Im telling you guys, devs these days put out half assed games at the full price and they only get minor updates every few weeks.

Except in this case, they sold it at a discount and told you exactly what you were getting before you bought it and what the timeline was. They even told you themselves not to buy it unless you're interested in game development. The devs themselves early on said many, many times the game was unplayable as a game in it's current state and that they themselves wouldn't buy it as it was and neither should you. Yet over a million people did and 90% of them complained theres nothing to do besides being told before purchase there was nothing to do and the game wouldn't be finished for almost 2 years.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 117
#33LaManoNeraIIPosted 9/4/2014 8:43:45 AM
How could you not understand the dishonest nature of "early access"?

They don't need to complete the game because they're already making money off it as if it were a full retail product...Because it IS a full retail product. The distinction is purely semantic
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#34Myself9Posted 9/4/2014 9:01:24 AM
For the most part, I agree.

In instances where the games are actually released in the their "final " state, the price of the game increases.

So by buying into early access you're helping to fund development, test the game and getting the final release at a discounted price.

But overall, I think EA is pretty much a crock of *****, and I don't support that business model any more. Took me a few hellish experiences to learn my lesson ;)

I think DayZ WILL be completely finished with all of the features they promised, and then some.
It's come a long way since it first "launched", and anyone who says otherwise is out of their mind.

LaManoNeraII posted...

They don't need to complete the game because they're already making money off it as if it were a full retail product...Because it IS a full retail product. The distinction is purely semantic

---
I drink YOUR milkshake
VirtualHillClimb.com
#35MrMonkhousePosted 9/4/2014 10:13:26 AM(edited)
LaManoNeraII posted...
How could you not understand the dishonest nature of "early access"?

Yeah but if you're developing a game and have made VERY LITTLE progress in a year, what does that say about the devs? They're greedy as s*** and put out half assed alpha games at full price and they know they can get away by releasing minor patches every other week and major patches every other month. Look at that Dinosaur game that released... they made money and disappeared with it WITHOUT ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS.

I'm all for early access games such as Terraria and Starbound who often communicate with their fanbase and receive feedbacks and constantly give their gamers updates, but I vote no on companies who takes their sweet time making small changes while raking in millions and hardly communicate with their gamers.
---
http://i.imgur.com/j74SykU.gif
http://i.imgur.com/BcGVG.gif
#36gwizzlerPosted 9/4/2014 10:17:23 AM
ATARIJAWA posted...
gwizzler posted...
I played the hell out of the mod, bought the standalone one day one. What a mistake that was. No vehicles, four guns, filling Balota with military loot, adding in new ghost towns with no loot spawns, unnecessarily confusing health/food/drink system, etc. I stopped playing after a couple weeks (about 30 hours of gameplay, mostly laborious walking/running) before uninstalling it. My group has been playing it and they've been badgering me to get on, so I checked on what's been added. To my amazement, nothing of any real significance has been added. A couple new weapons and items is pretty much it as far as I can tell. Where are the vehicles? Where is the base building? I can just go play the mod and get a more complete experience, so there is 0 chance of me playing standalone until vehicles and base building get added.

You realize the standalone has little in common with the mod right? It's a completely different game. The mod is a modified military shooter with some survival elements and zombies thrown in. Standalone is a complete survival horror game.

The engine is basically the same. Instead of running off of Arma II, standalone is just the Take On Helicopters engine with some Arma III stuff thrown in as well. There isn't a whole lot of difference between the three. The "survival" elements entail players surviving the clunky menus and controls to go along with the terrible pathing of the zombies. These problems plagued the mod, and they continue to plague standalone.

Standalone is the mod with prettier textures and some UI/engine tweaks, nothing more. In fact, the mod is more complete than standalone at this point. As mentioned previously, vehicles, base building, trading, true RP servers, etc. are all available on the mod. At the snail's pace at which standalone is getting updated, who knows when we'll see that stuff, or if we'll even see it at all.

Standalone has been nothing but a cash grab so far. A game that was clearly released way too early just to put money in the coffers. The slow trickle of updates will continue, and maybe 15 months after being on the market the game will finally be on the level of the mod.
---
"If the animals can find the strength, why can't we?" - Casey Foster