This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

i5 vs i7

#21PhilOnDezPosted 9/3/2014 12:21:53 PM
If you need an i7 but only have the budget for an i5 check out the Xeon line. You'll lose out on quicksync but if you have SLI 780s you won't miss it. Typically the same clock speeds as the current gen top shelf i5 on the budget model but with hyperthreading like an i7. I think the Haswell refresh model is the 1231v3.

However, I saw where you said you're not picking up the GPUs until later. You won't be able to use a Xeon without a dedicated gpu for the same reason you can't use quicksync, it doesn't have integrated graphics. There's a handful of models that do support quicksync/have a GPU but buying one of those defeats the purpose of buying a Xeon over an i7.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#22ethsfan(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2014 12:26:33 PM
I can do the i7 i just need to balance the rest

Pretty much if i can help getting the cpu, ram, case, mbo, hard drive, psu, & os For about 900
#23reincarnator07Posted 9/3/2014 1:43:36 PM
An i5 isn't really a crawl, but there's no reason not to get an i7 if you have the budget.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#24Fade2black001Posted 9/3/2014 3:51:19 PM
If the pc is going to be strictly for video editing I would say go AMD in this case. I would be cheaper and most likely do better
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#25chase1234lifePosted 9/3/2014 3:53:20 PM
reincarnator07 posted...
An i5 isn't really a crawl, but there's no reason not to get an i7 if you have the budget.

Which is basically what I was attempting to say earlier. An i5 will certainly be able to take the workload without much problem, especially if it's something you don't do heavily, doesn't include tons of effects and/or RAW video, and are short pieces.

It's when you're doing all the other stuff, and doing it on a consistent (daily) basis that you "need" an i7.

But if an i7 is in your budget, go for it and don't look back. Otherwise, and i5 will work fine as long as you're not doing video work every day.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/chasewolf
J.O.B. Squad 4 life
#26KillerTrufflePosted 9/3/2014 4:01:03 PM
An i5 will cut it - I have done plenty of video editing on my 2500k. However, an i7 will do *better* as it will handle business apps like video editing more efficiently. You don't "need" an i7 for video editing tho. I've done several videos from scratch footage on an i5, using Premiere, Vegas, After Effects, and more.

If you will be doing a ton of video editing and can afford an i7, definitely get it, but don't feel too bad about going with an i5 if necessary. I actually just ordered an i7 Thinkpad - curious to see how it handles video editing compared to my i5 desktop, actually. I realize it's not built for that, but still...
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#27castrejon04Posted 9/3/2014 4:05:44 PM(edited)
If you are doing lite editing, then an i5 would be fine. If you can overclock it even better.

I was able to do HD editing on my 3570K at 4.2Ghz just fine and I was able to do other stuff while doing some serious video rendering. It never slowed me down. The extra threads would only help speed things up, not keep your computer from slowing down.

What you also need is lots of RAM.
---
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa
#28IzicialPosted 9/3/2014 4:05:01 PM
chase1234life posted...
I'll say this:

I do video editing (Vegas Pro if you must ask) and run on a 4670k i5 (4.5 Ghz). I don't ever have my computer "crawl" even when doing 1440p.

It's anctedoctal, and I only speak from my experience.

Two notes:

If you're serious about video editing, I would still recommend an i7. If it's just some extremely light stuff, an i5 won't cripple your system like others are implying.

Also, most (edit: professional) video editing programs these days use your GPU instead of your CPU for a lot of the heavy lifting (rendering especially). Vegas Pro does this, so my GPU is usually more taxed than my CPU. So check out your program to see if it supports either OpenCl or CUDA. If it does, you should focus on your GPU as much as your CPU.

I think there is a lot of misinformation so far from people who either haven't done heavy video editing, or have little experience with it. (eg, they know enough to think they're knowledgeable, but not enough to know that they don't really know that much).

I know this is true for the most part but whenever I make videos it always maxes out my CPU and I have an I7 4770k.

Though it seems silly to spend 3K on a PC and not have it be the best possible. Get the I7.
---
Check out my SL 1 playthrough of Dark Souls II on my channel Izzy Games.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL19gU5IpjVkl-9LtY2ASx8ouTspMrGfN_
#29KillerTrufflePosted 9/3/2014 4:07:22 PM
It does really depend on how heavy the editing you'll be doing is... If you'll be working on multiple layers in multiple sequences, applying multiple effects, etc., the i7 and more RAM will definitely shine. If you're just going to be pretty much using a handful of sequences, pasting them all together with custom transitions, and adding a soundtrack and some text or something, the i5 and 8GB will easily handle that.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#30chase1234lifePosted 9/3/2014 4:20:00 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
It does really depend on how heavy the editing you'll be doing is... If you'll be working on multiple layers in multiple sequences, applying multiple effects, etc., the i7 and more RAM will definitely shine. If you're just going to be pretty much using a handful of sequences, pasting them all together with custom transitions, and adding a soundtrack and some text or something, the i5 and 8GB will easily handle that.

Exactly. I still don't have much problem running multiple layers and the like for the most part with my i5, but any time I go to do any sort of generated rather than "filter" types of effects (CGI effects, 3D modeling, etc.... all the cool stuff that makes you look like the equivalent of an Anglefire page unless used in small amounts or on a big production), my i5 and 8GB shows it's weakspot. An i7 will always preform better under those circumstances, as will 16 or even 32GB of RAM. But from the sounds of it, you're not going to be doing anything that intensive so there is no real "need" for an i7... but it sure as hell won't hurt.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/chasewolf
J.O.B. Squad 4 life