This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

i5 vs i7

#31ethsfan(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2014 8:54:33 PM
Lol i alrdy said i7 is fine

ethsfan posted...
I can do the i7 i just need to balance the rest

Pretty much if i can help getting the cpu, ram, case, mbo, hard drive, psu, & os For about 900

Can i just help with the rest?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZQWQK8 <--- those are what i have currently
#32Vindication123Posted 9/3/2014 10:53:25 PM
Weather you need a better CPU or GPU depends on the software you run.

i5 or i7 is fine, i7 will cut down on render time. If you are considering HD content, an i7 might be a wiser choice. Just get one of the cheaper ones. You could also get one of the old 6-core i7s if the price is low enough.

Minimum of 8gb RAM, better of with 16GB.

SSD to run the OS and editing software.

HDD to store it.

If you need a GPU, a FirePro or Quadro are ideal but way overpriced. Best option is an Nvidia core with the most CUDA cores. I remember one of the 600 series being praised for this, 670 or 690?

You could also consider a render farm.
---
A turtle crossed the road and got mugged by two snails. As police arrive, they ask it what happened. The turtle replies, I dont know. It all happened so fast.
#33ethsfan(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2014 11:17:54 PM
Im at $1,085.92 + tax for the cpu, mobo, ram, hd, case, psu & os.

My limit is $950 + tax. Where can i shave $140 off?

Maybe the mobo, ram, hdd, or case?
#34KillerTrufflePosted 9/3/2014 11:40:39 PM
You can start with 8GB RAM and upgrade once you have the extra cash... You could also start off with just the SSD and upgrade to the hard drive when you can afford it. You'll definitely be limited on space for video editing until you get a proper hard drive. Speaking of which, if you're gonna be serious about video editing, 1TB isn't likely to be enough - you'll fill that before long. I'd suggest waiting on the hard drive, and when you get one, go for either a 4TB, or if you're *really* serious, grab a couple 2TB and run them in RAID0 for extra throughput. Disk read/write is often one of the slowest bits of video editing, so having a RAID 0 or RAID 5 (with three disks, benefit is no loss of data if a drive fails) setup can speed things up substantially.

And yes, you can always skimp on the case for now - you can get a passable mid-tower in the neighborhood of $60, or you can even go as low as $30 just to get something temporary to hold your computer until you can afford the case you want. I probably wouldn't shortcut on the motherboard, because that's a *pain* to upgrade later.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#35WyzeGyePosted 9/3/2014 11:52:41 PM
chase1234life posted...
I think there is a lot of misinformation so far from people who either haven't done heavy video editing, or have little experience with it. (eg, they know enough to think they're knowledgeable, but not enough to know that they don't really know that much).

The PC board is filled with parrots. They say a bunch of words, but don't really know what they're saying.
---
http://puu.sh/bk6dS/1c31bf13ce.jpg
http://puu.sh/bhBm6/ef4db1a2b3.png
#36ethsfan(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2014 12:02:56 AM
Ok i think i was misunderstood thinking of doing youtube quality vids, so im not sure if all that applies to me.

My main thing for this pc will be gaming. So

1) 250gb ssd/ 1tb hdd. (Mostly gaming, is it ok?)
2) ram: what can i do with 8gb?.
3) case: was told that was a good case, but if u can find me a cheaper one with as good cooling.
#37Jedi454Posted 9/4/2014 12:21:28 AM
Rubbish, you don't need an i7 for video editing. A good i5 will be fine.
#38ethsfan(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2014 12:03:46 PM
Bump
#39KillerTrufflePosted 9/4/2014 12:06:35 PM
If you're just doing simple edits/splices for Youtube, an i5 is more than enough.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#40iiFroZenHeAveNzPosted 9/4/2014 12:14:56 PM(edited)
ethsfan posted...
Im at $1,085.92 + tax for the cpu, mobo, ram, hd, case, psu & os.

My limit is $950 + tax. Where can i shave $140 off?

Maybe the mobo, ram, hdd, or case?

Why don't you save that money for a little while longer while you accumulate a little more money to spend. Grabbing an i7 and trying to make high-mid tier gaming PC with a $950 budget is hard. You'd probably have to settle with a GPU along the lines of a 750 Ti or 270x/280
---
AMD FX-8350 4.6Ghz | Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 | 8GB G.Skill Ares DDR3-1600 | EVGA 770 2GB SC ACX | 1TB WD Blue Caviar | CM HAF 912 |