This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the Holy Grail of all PC games?

#111ElkiadorPosted 9/3/2014 10:46:21 PM
redrum187 posted...
doom
#112Zork_WeskerPosted 9/3/2014 11:06:49 PM
There are so many influential games, sure you could point to Super Mario Bros on the NES for reviving the console game market in the U.S., but there were also many other super influential games for consoles, ones that even came before Super Mario. As for what I think is really a big deal on PC, I'll try my best.

Ultima Series - Ultima practically made RPGs as we know them. They started on PCs.

Myst - Popularized the usage of the CD-Rom format, was originally a Mac game but it is primarily known for being popular on the PC.

Doom - Wolfenstein 3D may have been the genesis of FPS games, but Doom was the realization of what they could be in terms of design. Playing Wolfenstein 3D today is kind of a chore unless you've got the nostalgia for it hard, Doom never gets old.

Sierra and Lucasarts Adventures - The Adventure genre was at one time king of the mountain on PC and you could really not play these types of games on console. There were ports of some of them but they were always inferior in some way.

Every Blizzard game up to World of Warcraft - Nuff said, each game up to that point was hugely influential and their impact can still be felt to this day.

Westwood Games - Many of Westwood's games were great examples of RTS before EA bought them. Their fate ended up much like Origin Systems and other devs that have been swallowed up by EA.

There's plenty of others I could name off, like the Civilization series, Sim Series (Not just The Sims, before that...), X-Wing and Tie Fighter, SOOO many great games. But point is, I don't think it was ever just one game that did it so to speak for PC, it was usually a game then another then another, a series of events. Just like my point with Super Mario.

Sure, Super Mario may have revived interest in the US market alone, but as somebody else pointed out here it was just the US game market that had been hurt. That aside, what if everything after Super Mario was terrible? You can't forget all the other amazing games that came out afterwards that enabled gaming to keep going strong.
#113YombieePosted 9/4/2014 12:19:51 AM(edited)
Zork_Wesker posted...
There are so many influential games, sure you could point to Super Mario Bros on the NES for reviving the console game market in the U.S., but there were also many other super influential games for consoles, ones that even came before Super Mario. As for what I think is really a big deal on PC, I'll try my best.

Ultima Series - Ultima practically made RPGs as we know them. They started on PCs.

Myst - Popularized the usage of the CD-Rom format, was originally a Mac game but it is primarily known for being popular on the PC.

Doom - Wolfenstein 3D may have been the genesis of FPS games, but Doom was the realization of what they could be in terms of design. Playing Wolfenstein 3D today is kind of a chore unless you've got the nostalgia for it hard, Doom never gets old.

Sierra and Lucasarts Adventures - The Adventure genre was at one time king of the mountain on PC and you could really not play these types of games on console. There were ports of some of them but they were always inferior in some way.

Every Blizzard game up to World of Warcraft - Nuff said, each game up to that point was hugely influential and their impact can still be felt to this day.

Westwood Games - Many of Westwood's games were great examples of RTS before EA bought them. Their fate ended up much like Origin Systems and other devs that have been swallowed up by EA.

There's plenty of others I could name off, like the Civilization series, Sim Series (Not just The Sims, before that...), X-Wing and Tie Fighter, SOOO many great games. But point is, I don't think it was ever just one game that did it so to speak for PC, it was usually a game then another then another, a series of events. Just like my point with Super Mario.

Sure, Super Mario may have revived interest in the US market alone, but as somebody else pointed out here it was just the US game market that had been hurt. That aside, what if everything after Super Mario was terrible? You can't forget all the other amazing games that came out afterwards that enabled gaming to keep going strong.

EA destroyed everything I liked about gaming.

---

Frog Fractions.
#114Pawkie07Posted 9/4/2014 12:19:59 AM
Too Many

PC is home of so many classics that it's crazy.
#115FryerPosted 9/4/2014 12:32:47 AM
Trade Wars.
---
3DS FC: 0087 2854 5464
XBOX, PSN and, Steam: Fryerisgod
#116SnuffSevenfoldXPosted 9/4/2014 12:44:56 AM
Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate II, Starcraft, Half Life, Unreal Tournament, Civilzation...
---
http://gentlemanadventurer.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/batman-never-ends.png
#117zeppo_basicPosted 9/4/2014 12:45:08 AM
To me, Civilization II, nothing will ever be better.

In reality it's probably solitaire, it's the one game everyone has and plays regardless of if they are a gamer or not.
---
MapleHoodOG
#118PraetorXynPosted 9/4/2014 12:50:08 AM
Doom, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Starcraft: Brood War

Closest thing in modern times is probably Mount & Blade: Warband
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#119ChromaticAngelPosted 9/4/2014 1:04:20 AM
Definitely Doom and/or Doom 2.
---
RPG Spotlight: Eschalon: Book I http://www.gog.com/game/eschalon_book_i