This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the Holy Grail of all PC games?

#121bionicman_3090Posted 9/4/2014 2:33:32 AM
Jaghave posted...
Big Rigs Over The Road Racing

You Are Winner.
---
"Take your best shot, Flatlander woman". JC Denton.
#122TowerBooks3192Posted 9/4/2014 2:55:43 AM
Special edition of Solitaire with all the different deck DLCs + limited edition deck.
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#123force_edgePosted 9/4/2014 3:16:08 AM
In all seriousness though, it would probably be Diablo 2 for me. I know 3 has been reviled but with RoS and 2.1 it's starting to feel like a nice place to hang out online with buddies again.
---
GameFAQs, where opinions get moderated as "Flaming" just because some moderator felt hurt by it.
#124MarceloSampaioPosted 9/4/2014 3:28:59 AM
Javelin posted...
Toastytoaster posted...
Give credit where credit is due, super mario bros saved gaming. End of story.

Saved gaming? What it did was doom the industry to a future of mediocre garbage being passed off as video games.

In the mid-'80s, PC games were in the process of raising the bar of what video games could be. Ultima IV added depth to CRPG storytelling, which to that point had been mostly straightforward dungeon crawls. At Microprose, Sid Meier was starting to branch out from making only flight sims, and he would later make some of the true gems of gaming like Railroad Tycoon and Civilization. Lucasarts would be formed, beginning a rivalry with Sierra, but aside from their adventure games, they would also make the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games, which are still the very best games ever made that were based on an existing movie IP.

Meanwhile, in Japan, they were moving backward. The Famicom would reduce home video games to a 4-direction pad and 2 buttons -- the original dumbing-down for the console crowd. You can see the results 30 years later, as console peasants nowadays do nothing but follow arrows telling them where to go, and wait for onscreen prompts telling them what button to press. Every time you see some casual crap like Candy Crush Saga undeservingly make tons of profit, you can blame Nintendo for starting the casual revolution.

If Nintendo had stuck to making playing cards, the video game industry might well have become completely PC-centric, and the world would have been so much better for it.

Quoted for truth.

I should also add that the so called American Video Game Crash was no more than Atari ALMOST closing and some mediocre companies closing. Most competent gaming companies at the times kept on working, and some are still alive and well (like Activision). Gaming was hurt, but NOT killed. PC gaming was growing, console gaming was growing in Japan (remember that the Famicon was released THE SAME YEAR the American crash happened), and we had a LOT more options of gaming machines, like the Intellivision and the Magnavox Odyssey.

People overreact a little when they think about this crash.

Heck, EA games alone destroyed a LOT more companies than the crash itself...
---
If you believe in Marona as your Loli and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature. :3
http://i.imgur.com/GV8UFZR.png
#125IzicialPosted 9/4/2014 4:18:30 AM
FPS were basically made on PC (Doom and Wolf).

RTS games pretty much only exist on PC aside from mobile and a few old console ports (Civ, Warcraft, Starcraft and CnC).

Diablo basically created the hack n' slash genre.

Hell Warcraft III have birth to two genres MOBA (DOTA) and Tower Defense.

Then there's MMOs and such.

Warcraft, Doom, and Diablo are probably the three big defining games for me because they are all still very enjoyable and truly defined and popularized their genre.
---
Check out my SL 1 playthrough of Dark Souls II on my channel Izzy Games.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL19gU5IpjVkl-9LtY2ASx8ouTspMrGfN_
#126Lord ZhouYuPosted 9/4/2014 4:22:24 AM
I argue Ultima.

Reason: It spawned two entire genres of games.
---
James and Aidrianna Ruglia: Balmung
#127MarceloSampaioPosted 9/4/2014 4:28:08 AM
Lord ZhouYu posted...
I argue Ultima.

Reason: It spawned two entire genres of games.

Ultima was indeed a very important series... along with Wizardry.

Sad that both series are basically dead nowdays...
---
If you believe in Marona as your Loli and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature. :3
http://i.imgur.com/GV8UFZR.png
#128luigi33Posted 9/4/2014 4:30:01 AM
Deus Ex
---
Specs: [Intel i5 3570k] [16GB DDR3] [GA-Z77X-UD3H]
[CM Hyper 212+] [GTX 760]
Steam ID: xcyper33
#129GunmaN1905Posted 9/4/2014 4:34:17 AM
HighOnPhazon posted...
GunmaN1905 posted...
Counter-Strike
Dota
WoW
Starcraft
Warcraft 3
Diablo 2
Civilization

Other games that compare with them in the genre are just lacking.

WoW would not be what it is today without Everquest.

Please, child, you know nothing.

You're a blizzard noob. Starcraft wasn't anything without Warcraft, Diablo 2 without Diablo.

COME ON KID

What? Where did I say those were my favorite games? Btw, I dislike blizzard very much now, fyi.
For example, they didn't care about dota for 8 years, now when it's under valve, they try to take as much as they can from the game based on copyright.

So what if everquest was there? WoW took it to the next level and no MMO up to date can compare.

Doom and Quake were great games in their time, but CS is the reason why esports exist today, they took it to the next level.

Warcraft died, Starcraft is the only viable RTS competitive game right now.

Again, so what if the games I listed weren't first in their segment. They took it to the next level and made whole industry grow, whether you (me) liked it or not.
#130HaganPosted 9/4/2014 5:12:32 AM
Doom/Diablo/StarCraft/Baldur's Gate

/thread
---
XBL GT= illidan z PSN = HaganJR
Steam = mhagan1986 Origin = HaganJR