This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the Holy Grail of all PC games?

#81Wolf_McWolfPosted 9/3/2014 8:35:46 PM
There's not any one that stands out above all the rest bar none, but probably the top several are:

Deus Ex: It's considered by a large collective of people to be the best game ever created, and it lives up to that reputation in most regards. You can play through Deus Ex without killing a single person or even firing a single bullet. In fact, if I remember right, it's entirely possible to talk your way through the entire game.

Fallout 1 and 2: Both games have a fantastic story, an interesting setting, memorable characters, and a robust combat system. Like Deus Ex, it's possible to talk your way through the entirety of both games, although I'm pretty certain both Fallout games require combat at one point or another unless you take the Animal Friends perk and have a high stealth skill.

DOOM and Wolfenstein: These two games single-handedly invented the entire FPS genre. Their importance goes without saying based on just that.

Zork: Zork is Zork. Most people have never played it at this juncture, but it pretty much gave birth the to text-based adventure game, which in turn gave rise to MUDs--Multi-User Dungeons--which became the foundation for the modern MMORPGs. Without Zork, we wouldn't have World of Warcraft or Everquest or Ultima Online.

Meridian 59: Technically in the same vein as Zork, but worth mentioning on its own for a second. Meridian 59 was the first commercially marketed 3D MMORPG, another critical stepping stone to today's biggest games.

Starcraft: Popularized the RTS genre pretty much the world over and laid the foundation for e-sports as we know it today. Starcraft went from a Warhammer 40k game that lost its license to a huge, huge part of PC gaming culture.

Dwarf Fortress: Dorftress is so complex that it can barely be called a game. It's also the newest item on the list by far, but it's still hugely significant in its own way. The level of detail that Dorftress keeps track of is absolutely insane. From thousands of years of historical events to the individual thoughts, wants, and needs of creatures to the bodily well being of living creatures down to the fingernails. Dwarves mourn the loss of friends and loved ones, celebrate great accomplishments, and each have their own individual names, families, wants, and needs. What Dwarf Fortress is now may very well become the foundation for the next generation of videogames.
---
Yar har fiddle dee dee.
#82bionicman_3090Posted 9/3/2014 8:41:43 PM
For me, it's a tie between Deus Ex 1 and System Shock 2.
---
"Take your best shot, Flatlander woman". JC Denton.
#83YombieePosted 9/3/2014 8:42:16 PM
Red04 posted...
koujimoreno posted...
Cool story, wish I could end up doing something like that. I made some wrong decisions in life.

Nah some people just happen to have the right idea at the right time.

On that topic, there's some really good voices and minds here at gamefaqs, and I'm sure reddit and 4chan as well, there should be some greater crowdsourced website for reviews/articles. We've already found out we can't trust the industry developers, so why not start a free, not for profit, crowd sourced website about games reviews/articles?
If this industry debacle taught us anything it's that...

...All it takes is for the first person to light the fuse, take that step, make the leap.
#84YombieePosted 9/3/2014 8:50:37 PM
Also, (free bump as well) several of these posts remind me of why "gaming journalists" aren't needed at all, and it's good to see many people here still "carry the torch" sort to speak in regards to gaming history, (it's prevalence transcends "Pc gaming"), it's almost like some twisted joke seeing what some of these media outlets purport as the top 100 games of all time, (pc gamer, looking at you!)

Some of this info is so obscure today that it's only in threads like this do you recall the gems of yesteryear, which are still very much apparent and relevant in modern gaming today, as the mechanics and design elements are much the same, however the manner in which it's depicted has grown considerably and almost exponentially so since then.

Like the whole thing about Starcraft being based on 40k, I never knew that yet it sticks out like a sore thumb now.
#85NorloutPosted 9/3/2014 8:55:39 PM
Doom
Quake
Half-Life
Counterstrike
Starcraft
Everquest
Crysis
World of Warcraft

Each game holy in its own way.
#86Wolf_McWolfPosted 9/3/2014 9:06:43 PM
Yombiee posted...
Like the whole thing about Starcraft being based on 40k, I never knew that yet it sticks out like a sore thumb now.

Yep. Starcraft and Warcraft were both Warhammer games, 40k and Fantasy respectively, until Games Workshop pulled the rights from Blizzard and Blizz made them into their own original IPs.
---
Yar har fiddle dee dee.
#87ToastytoasterPosted 9/3/2014 9:07:00 PM
Journalism and media were never used to portray truth but to create truth for you which is why I take it all with a grain of salt
#88jrocx39Posted 9/3/2014 9:08:44 PM
The Ultima series.
#89klcomanPosted 9/3/2014 9:10:17 PM
Monkey Island 2
---
xbox live dklco 007
#90YombieePosted 9/3/2014 9:19:06 PM(edited)
Wolf_McWolf posted...
Yombiee posted...

Yep. Starcraft and Warcraft were both Warhammer games, 40k and Fantasy respectively, until Games Workshop pulled the rights from Blizzard and Blizz made them into their own original IPs.

Holy crap, I bet they regret that now...

I can totally see Warcraft 1-3 having roots in Fantasy as well, yikes... was DOTA a take on blood bowl then? I do rightly recall something along the lines of "zerg football", It's been so long though.

Games Workshop has always been so protective of their rights to their games, but rightly so, I know of no other collectors game with 40-100$ "booster" packs, and 1k$ armies. (counting paint, brushes, accessories, etc.)

Toastytoaster posted...
Journalism and media were never used to portray truth but to create truth for you which is why I take it all with a grain of salt

RIP PCGAMER (magazine)

Good thing public forums like this one exist, it'll be a sad day on the internet when something like gamefaqs goes away.