This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Game prices

#1steviegfromnyc2Posted 9/3/2014 5:10:05 PM
I have noticed that game prices on pc are a lot cheaper than consoles. They also see more price drops. But how long does it usually take for a big name game to go down in price usually and by how much? Example far cry 4. Should I get it on pc when it comes out or wait?
#2TropicMoon10Posted 9/3/2014 5:17:15 PM(edited)
It really depends on the publisher. Ubisoft takes a while but they're not as bad as Activision with sales.

My guess is FC4 will have a small discount (25%-33% off) by late winter. And a larger (66% off or more) discount by next spring to summer.
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#3KillerTrufflePosted 9/3/2014 5:18:41 PM
Often it will take 6-12 months for the price to drop on a major title, although it can happen sooner. If you're talking a typical $60 game, you'll often see it drop to $40 within several months, and sales can bring that down to $15-20 without too much trouble most of the time. After 1-2 years, they'll usually drop again to $20 or so.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#4steviegfromnyc2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2014 5:20:37 PM
Guess I'll wait then.
#5KillerTrufflePosted 9/3/2014 5:22:56 PM
Keep in mind that's just a generalization of what we see, and is in no way a rule. It's *pretty* reliable, but don't get upset if a game doesn't drop when you expect it to. I think Skyrim is one that bucked the trend by far longer than any other game I can recall. It took *forever* for it to start dropping in price.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#6KURRUPTORPosted 9/3/2014 5:36:51 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Keep in mind that's just a generalization of what we see, and is in no way a rule. It's *pretty* reliable, but don't get upset if a game doesn't drop when you expect it to. I think Skyrim is one that bucked the trend by far longer than any other game I can recall. It took *forever* for it to start dropping in price.

I think it depends on sales figures. When sales start dropping off they do a % off sale to renew interest in the game.

Skyrim remained in the top Sellers on steam for a long ass time, hence no sales for a long time.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#7TES_NutPosted 9/4/2014 1:44:13 AM
I always wait for seasonal steam sales and clean up all the last few years at deep discounts
---
"Sing of Manetheren, the sword that could not be broken
...Weep for Manetheren. Weep for what is lost forever"