This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

FPS are a boring genre.

#21pothocketPosted 9/4/2014 5:52:17 AM
I think we all know what TC is actually trying to say...

Judgmenl posted...

I've never actually been "good" at a fps outside of maybe CS:GO.

---
http://i.imgur.com/aBZ2Gww.gif http://i.imgur.com/HnzWmt3.gif
#22Bellum_SacrumPosted 9/4/2014 5:56:01 AM
Shooters are the Justin Biebers of video games.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#23jc349Posted 9/4/2014 5:58:25 AM
Unreal Tournament is the only real shooter. Everything else is for casuls.
#24harrier33Posted 9/4/2014 5:58:39 AM
Now, the only things we need are first person fighting games, first person sports games and first person rts games and soon every single game will be indistinguishable from each other.
#25wizardmonPosted 9/4/2014 6:02:19 AM
pothocket posted...

Exactly, there is no hard ruling on how to pluralize a acronym. Some publications would have typed it out "FPSs" or "FPS's" or even "F.P.S.'s" while others would just imply that the S in FPS is for Shooters instead of Shooter.

To sum it up - the clearer usage is the correct usage, and since the topic title is obviously about an entire genre which implies multiple entries you should read it as "First Person Shooters" unless you honestly have problems comprehending the English language.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#26Fade2black001Posted 9/4/2014 6:02:29 AM
Jedi454 posted...
Git gud casual.

What is wrong with you?
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#27VideoGameXVPosted 9/4/2014 6:10:07 AM
I find it quite boring as well but there are still some very enjoyable ones out there, take Borderlands 2 or Metroid Prime for example.
---
#OperationPlatinum - Help Bayonetta 2 hit 1 Million Sales on Wii U.
#28Howling-Reaper-Posted 9/4/2014 6:14:09 AM
wizardmon posted...
pothocket posted...

Exactly, there is no hard ruling on how to pluralize a acronym. Some publications would have typed it out "FPSs" or "FPS's" or even "F.P.S.'s" while others would just imply that the S in FPS is for Shooters instead of Shooter.

To sum it up - the clearer usage is the correct usage, and since the topic title is obviously about an entire genre which implies multiple entries you should read it as "First Person Shooters" unless you honestly have problems comprehending the English language.

How does mentioning one specific genre become plural? Would you say reggae are a boring genre, or rom-com are a boring genre?
---
There is no hope.
#29DiviDudePosted 9/4/2014 6:19:22 AM
I like playing FPS because I think they are fun.

This is a cool and thoughtful thread.
#30SinisterSlayPosted 9/4/2014 6:27:00 AM
Judgmenl posted...
I don't know why people are so obsessed with them. This board is probably the biggest aggregate of these kinds of people.

I've never actually played a "good" fps outside of maybe CS:GO.

I don't think this board is obsessed with FPS games. I see plenty of discussions about RPG's, racing, adventure, etc.

But I do agree it is a boring genre. There is only so many ways to shoot a gun. It's not possible to make interesting game play when the game play is always the same for every single FPS game ever made since the beginning of time. Why bother playing a new FPS game when a 20 or 30 year old FPS game has the exact same game play, and often an almost exact same story.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence