This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Questions about my new build.

#1DoublesoubaPosted 9/4/2014 4:02:37 PM
I have a few questions about my new build. The only things I am keeping from my old build are the HDD and RAM. So will I have to reinstall Windows, or is it on my HDD. If I have to reinstall Windows, can I reuse the disc I used for my first build (it's 8.1)? I bought 2 games physically, so will I still be able to use those? Sorry for the noob questions, I just don't know if the stuff on my HDD was deleted when I unplugged it. Thanks for any help.
---
Waiting for Hyrule Warriors, Smash Bros WiiU, Zelda WiiU, and MK X.
My backlog consists of 174 games, across 22 consoles. Not including my Steam library.
#2SonyHoundDawgPosted 9/4/2014 5:00:32 PM
I think youll have to reinstall windows.

Games will still work assuming you have the cd keys that came with them (if they have keys)

If its something online like Diablo 3/MMO's or whatever you just have reinstall and patch up the game log in with your account
#3ElkiadorPosted 9/4/2014 5:03:13 PM
Everything on your hard drive is still there but you'd probably run into serious driver conflicts by taking a preexisting Windows installation and transplanting it into a new computer. Format it and do a fresh Windows install.
#4Doublesouba(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2014 5:59:21 PM
Ok, thanks guys.
---
My backlog consists of 174 games, across 22 consoles. Not including my Steam library.
#5Doublesouba(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2014 3:15:38 AM
Elkiador posted...
Everything on your hard drive is still there but you'd probably run into serious driver conflicts by taking a preexisting Windows installation and transplanting it into a new computer. Format it and do a fresh Windows install.

So, how would I go about uninstalling windows, then reinstalling it. I booted up the windows installer, but it says my product key isn't valid.
---
#6Doublesouba(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2014 3:31:38 AM
Also, my PC won't connect to the internet. I know my internet is working, because I'm connected to it with my phone. I have the PC connected with an Ethernet cable.
---
#7Doublesouba(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2014 9:50:06 AM
Anyone?
---
#8Doublesouba(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2014 10:23:12 AM
I could really use some help if anyone is willing.
---
#9Ares_TargaryenPosted 9/5/2014 10:44:30 AM(edited)
I suggest a clean install of Windows. Boot your computer with the Windows disc (either go into the bios and set the dvd drive as first boot or use the boot menu if the motherboard has one).

When doing the Windows installation, select custom install and format the HDD first (will delete everything on the drive). Skip entering the key info for now. After you installed Windows you can try entering your old key (Control Panel -> System -> Activate).

If they say you need to buy a new key, try doing a phone activation instead of a online activation. Just call the phone number and follow the instructions given (should be automated). When they ask how many computers are using the key, tell them 1 and they should hopefully give you a confirmation number that will activate your copy of Windows.

Your internet is not working because you probably have to install the drivers for you motherboard first (specifically the LAN drivers). Either install the drivers off the disc that came with you motherboard or use another computer to download the drivers off the manufacturers website (recommended method).

edit: The instructions I gave should work for Windows 7, never tried phone activating with Windows 8.

---
<><><><><>
#10Doublesouba(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2014 4:25:55 PM
Thanks man. That helped a lot.
---