Opening a Genesis cartridge

#1skullpenetratorPosted 8/7/2006 8:21:59 PMmessage detail
Is there an easy way to get a Genesis cartridge open without buying one of those special gamebit screwdriver add-ons? I ask because I ordered Shadowrun off ebay and can't retain a saved game. Also, is it ok to just switch a working battery from a different SNES or Genesis game, or does a replacement have to be new?
---
Oops! Regulator was hit instead of Regulator!
#2NatashaQuickPosted 8/7/2006 9:38:52 PMmessage detail
the battery doesn't have to be new, but it has to be the exact same type. what you'll get with a used battery, is one game that has no battery and the other won't last as long as a new one would. the batteries can be bought in pretty much any store, but if you really want to switch them out, then go ahead.

you'll need the 4.5mm bit. people think you can only buy them online, but it's not true. try calling some hardware stores and asking for inverted torque bits.
---
"pfft, you can't be....directional of painkillers" -Chao320
#3akadewboyPosted 8/7/2006 11:31:15 PMmessage detail
people think you can only buy them online, but it's not true

Ummmmmmm:

http://sylentwulf.powweb.com//product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=57&osCsid=a74f2d263b4d6aec7679469e6752edd9
http://search.ebay.com/4-5-gamebit_W0QQfromZR40QQsatitleZ4Q2e5Q20gamebit

Plenty of places sell them online.
---
The GameFAQs message boards are some of the most popular boards on the internet, and yet there STILL isn't an edit button.
#4Zio JrPosted 8/8/2006 2:51:16 PMmessage detail
When i get this thing open, can anyone get me directions on replacing the battery...what i am looking for, and once i have it...how to replace it... I never worked on games....but i do work on small electronics so i have all of the tools, precision screwdrivers, coldheat tool, fine needlenose (i think 1.5-2mm tip), precision knives...i got it all...even extra wires, resistors, whatever i screw up on when i work...
---
EQ2 - Hanzao - Wizard on Oasis Server
EQ2 - Drius - Monk on Oasis Server
#5Zio JrPosted 8/8/2006 3:17:13 PMmessage detail
He did not mean you CANT buy them online...he meant you can buy them online AS WELL as at a hardware store
---
#6SEGA128DCPosted 8/8/2006 3:30:25 PMmessage detail
Hmm, would stores like Radio Shack sell those 4.5mm security game bit tools?...
---
Now Playing: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dead or Alive 3, Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2 (Xbox)...
#7Zio JrPosted 8/8/2006 3:42:07 PMmessage detail
Radio Shack sells a lot of odds and ends for electronics...but i dont think i ever found the drill bit there...the batterys, wires, resistors, testers...all over...but radio shack is a last resort for me
---
#8bruplex(Moderator)Posted 8/8/2006 4:16:58 PMmessage detail
Hey,

I've only changed 2 Genesis batteries, but I used the 4.5 mm driver from MCM electronics + a new battery holder (MUCH easier than trying to solder directly on the circuit board).
---
Thong! The fish is ready!
#9skullpenetrator(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2006 4:39:34 PMmessage detail
"I've only changed 2 Genesis batteries, but I used the 4.5 mm driver from MCM electronics + a new battery holder (MUCH easier than trying to solder directly on the circuit board). "

I've read that (electric) tape can be a substitute for soldering. Only downside is you have to replace it every so often or it'll let go and lose your saved games. How does the battery holder stay on the cartridge? Or do you have to tape it as well? Please forgive me if these are dumb questions, I'd like to know a good bit before opening my cartridge and I can't seem to find a whole lot of information about this on the web.
---
Oops! Regulator was hit instead of Regulator!
#10bruplex(Moderator)Posted 8/8/2006 9:00:54 PMmessage detail
--What I did was solder wires from the leads on the circuit board to the battery holder; I mounted the battery holder in an open space in the cart (easier on NES carts, but there's space on a Genesis cart as well). I used double sided sticky foam tape (really thin, but it keeps it in place). This way if I need to change the battery again, I just slide it out of the holder and put the new one in!
---
Thong! The fish is ready!