imports

#1MHTGuyPosted 7/1/2012 12:09:04 PM
so im thinking of getting into import games.

got any tips?
---
The Golden Walrus has spoken.
#2BardolyPosted 7/1/2012 12:47:03 PM
Since you're asking this question in the SNES board, I'm assuming that you're talking about SNES import game cartridges from Japan or PAL cartridges from Europe/Australia. If you want to play PAL cartridges in the U.S., then it may be a little difficult, because of the differences between NTSC and PAL. I would recommend that you stick with getting SNES import games from Japan. Not only are they usually cheaper, but the library is MUCH larger than the PAL library, and you can play the Japanese Super Famicom cartridges directly on your U.S. SNES console with only a very minor modification to your console which you can do by yourself with 2 minutes and a pair of needle-nose pliers.
#3MHTGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/1/2012 1:40:20 PM
mk, i did mean japanese SFC, and i did know about the modification, and i am doing it because it is cheaper and because of the vast library of japanese only RPG's :D

thanks anyways :D
---
#4ZoqFotPikPosted 7/1/2012 1:47:08 PM
RVGfanatic.com

A decent list of some import-friendly (and wallet-conscious) games.
---
I am not the FOT!
~~the Zoq, the Fot & the Pik~~
#5MHTGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/1/2012 2:39:20 PM
---
#6BardolyPosted 7/1/2012 3:59:48 PM(edited)
MHTGuy posted...
mk, i did mean japanese SFC, and i did know about the modification, and i am doing it because it is cheaper and because of the vast library of japanese only RPG's :D

thanks anyways :D

I kind of figured that. For many of the non-released-in-the-U.S. SFC games, language is not going to be as big of a barrier as you might think, but for the many Japanese RPGs, if you can't read Japanese, then I might suggest that you look into some of the SNES cart repro-makers titles, as many of the good non-released-in-the-U.S. SFC RPGs have been translated into English, and the repros maker can get you a working English version of those games. Myself, I'm not really into roms, emulation, and/or playing SNES games on a computer, and I do have 200+ SFC games myself, but for the RPGs, I like to be able to enjoy the story.
#7MHTGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/1/2012 7:00:20 PM
yea i get your point, i do plan on learning to read japanese asap but obviously that will take some time.... there is a copy of Seiken Densetsu 2 at my local play n trade, and i was thinking of picking that up, im not exactly sure of their price but on amazon its only about 10 bucks, and play n trade seems to normaly match or go lower than amazons price, so that should fit my budget which is extremely low at the moment, i wont know whats going on so i suppose it will be somewhat like when i was 3-5 again XD.

i would also like to know of any non text reliant games for the SFC
---
#8TerotrousPosted 7/1/2012 10:28:15 PM
MHTGuy posted...
there is a copy of Seiken Densetsu 2 at my local play n trade

Seiken Densetsu 2 is Secret of Mana, which was released in the US. Seiken Densetsu 3 is the one that didn't come here.

Also, be aware that both SoM and SD3 have a number of annoying dialogue triggers that are hell to figure out if you can't read the language. I played SD3 with a friend back before Gamefaqs was around and we could never get out of Forcena.

i would also like to know of any non text reliant games for the SFC

Basically anything that's not an RPG. Some examples:

Battle Dodgeball
Doremi Fantasy
Ganbare Goemon 2
Magical Pop'n
Pop'n Twinbee
Puyo Puyo Tsuu (Remix)
Super Bomberman 5
Tetris Battle Gaiden
Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventure
Super Tetris 3
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Low G Man"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#9MHTGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2012 7:37:19 AM
i do know that seiken densetsu 2 is secret of mana, but its just laying there, and about 40 bucks cheaper than the NTSC version, i supose i could probably find all the translated dialog on the internet somewhere and just check it off as i go or somthing...

i definently need to learn to read and translate japanese though.... RPGs are my favorite genre of games :P
---
#10KikkoPosted 7/2/2012 3:01:56 PM
http://www.rvgfanatic.com/6501/index.html

^ Impressions/reviews of over 80 largely SFC-only games, and pretty much all of them can be enjoyed with zero JP knowledge.
---
SNES fanatics!
www.RVGFANATIC.com